Miss Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont feel bad i have waited 3 weeks for my radio box and it has been shipped out every time i have called..did get a free rudder though and now a blown motor..thanks james

Guys, just to let everyone know, I am staying neutral on this one, and refuse to take sides either way. I have talked to james numerous times and he seems like a stand up guy. I also told him of these problems, because like any honest guy, I thought he shoudl know about them, as he was clearly un aware of any of it, untill it was posted here. I am not harping on either side, just dont like to see things get out of hand because one party didnt know about it. Neutral on the subject fellas, just wanted to let everyoen know. Rodney Pierce

also, on the strut. the one on the orange vegas is alot lower then the one on the white. i think if you lower the white one, you will find the slot is the same. this also doesnt induce water into the back of the boat. i did notice that there is some grass on there, and if any leaves get caught they will induce spray.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh im scared.im gonna get a phone call now.maybe what you should do is man up and send out what i ordered and paid for 3 weeks ago.dont give me that bull that its out of stock because i spoke to you and your secretary and was told that it was shipped out.and why dont you call out names of people that are critisizing your products as well?when it was said "don your right "that wasnt referencing me at all,and for you to put my whole name out there like im your frickin kid is ridiculous..and rodney order from him and your opinion will change.i take that back because i have told too many people about tlr and when they order in the back of my mind im hoping they dont get shafted,because all you have is your word and if that aint crap than you dont have anything!and dont act like this is the first you have heard about this from me!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the advice of Don i took a deep breath.... :D

First of all i was not bashing T.L., James or there products....Nor did i want to drag others into this..As far as others having problems i wasnt aware of that and havent heard that...I have edited my post i suggest the rest of you that qouted to do the same...This should be about making the miss vegas fast not this crap...

Now just to defend myself.....Yes i had shipping problems with T.L. both dealings...The first one wasnt there fault at all but still frustrating...Then i placed a order with them again for a Vegas,a turn fin,and a 435 prop...It took 2 weeks to arrrive...Frustrated again then i found no controller and wrong prop...No biggie but frustration growing..(simpleover see on there part could have happend to anybody)....Now out running the boat and having to dump out lots of water every run due to the stream and having trouble setting the turn fin correctly...Which we never could get right...So frustation grows some more...I post here not meaning to bash just wanted some ideas and insight...Then day 2 of running it never did get turn fin figured out and on top of that the boat ended up with a crack....Still got the stream runnin into the boat on top of that....In all my frustration i posted more here that i really shouldnt have....

The way i see it if i would have gottten the right prop the first time would have saved alot of frustration and heres how.....The Modded T.L. strut is the water flow into the boat due to there elongated hole...We switched struts out and the spray went away...Now for the prop part...If i would have gotten the 435 that i ordered i would have had the strut set at 1/2" below pad and that hole wouldnt have been there. But due to having to run the 535 prop you must run the strut deeper allowing the hole to catch water...Im sure the wrong prop being sent is a over sight on there part...I just wanted everyone to see where my frustration came from.....

James i hope you reading this you'll understand where my mind was at....

Now as far as the crack James yes you see a tiny chip out of that front sponson but let me tell you first its tiny and second it came out of the box with that chip.....I will get you several views of that sponson and you will see the boat doesnt have a scratch in it....It just seems to be a stress crack....No i dont want to send the boat back.....Its a 2" long stress crack that can be epoxied without insident.

All im asking for is the prop i ordered, Some info on getting this turn fin to work..... :D

James your more then welcome to give me a call....Im alittle calmer now.. :D

Last edited:
OK, let's try another deep breath.

To add some really positive Miss Vegas stuff -

I just returned from the Lone Star Model Boat Club's Fall Classic where they hosted an 18 Scale Hydro heat where we had five Miss Vegas competitors. This was my first race and, after five heats, I came home with the First Place trophy thanks to everyone's good advise (along with John Finch's Powerboat Racing booklet for basic racing knowledge)! :D

I did find that a good pitman was VERY important for a new racer and thanks goes out to the Number One pitman Jason Claborn (a class act) and his dad Wade Claborn, the race CD.

Thanks also goes out to the Lone Star Model Boat Club - a great group of guys that accepted a newbie and also hosted this new class - 18 scale hydro. I will be definitely be moving up into some faster boats in some faster classes after I perfect my driving skills.

For this (near stock) race, I think the most important things were: breaking in the engine with about 3/4 gallon of 30% fuel; lots of playing around with the needle to get it just right and then leaving it alone, a polished Twisted Liquid 2-blade metal prop (which, by the way, they 'Next Day Expressed to me since I waited too long to order and wanted to experiment with on the open water day on the day before the race); lubricating the drive shaft between heats; adjusting the strut to require a good toss to start it on plane (although still being able to get it back up on plane with some work if things don't go as planned); sanding the bottom with 600 grit paper (and squareing up the sponsons); using a polished, sharpened, and bent turn fin for left-hand turn corrections (which by-the-way there are a lot of when you are a new driver); and who knows how many other small tweaks and adjustments of the boat and controls that helped; and the MOST important - getting an experienced pitman to help you learn the racing ropes!

Thanks to eveyone (including Twisted Liquid)!

ok if i take a deep beath and hold it until this radio box comes i will die! and your right i didnt buy the rudder ,and i tested it, and it blew a motor, and i told you, and you said nobody else has complained ,and i never posted a pic of my vegas here or anywhere,and im through with this pity pat bull@$&%

Last edited by a moderator:
Rigger

About you TL rudder. Was yours designed like the pictures from outlaw? It appears that there are a few different designs. I also have the TL rudder and so far I have not had any issues. My rudder had a separate water pick up I placed in between the prop and the water inlet to the boat. My water pours out better than stock. I'm just curious to know which one you tested.

I took mine out Sunday after breaking it in in a wheelbarrow. I figure, why take a chance of pulling out the john boat. First toss.....(make note to self) it is important to get a good first toss with the stut set so high out of the water. Talk about a nervous moment, I tossed her in the water as I did the other Vegas and she looked like a submarine with the full whale siren on! DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! Luckily, I had the foresight to kill the engine and let the natural buoyancy come into play...Out comes the john boat I thought I would not need.

Anywho, I made a couple laps at just above idle to see how she was trimmed out. Then on about my third parade lap around the pond.......Cheese and Rice I think I awoke the giant! :eek: Keep in mind last weekend, I broke in the first Vegas all stock. Now mine, the Red Bull Racer, all Twisted out, she is a screamer. I might have to lower the prop depth as I am cutting a rooster tail about 3 and a half feet in the air and about 12-15 feet back! All in all, my guess is she was doing around 40+ still waiting on the radar gun.

No fly away boat this weekend as I took the advice of James and added 1 oz. of weight to the nose, and cut out the "turbine" in the back. I would say it was a good day.

Well, here she is:

RedBull_Vegas.jpg

I took mine out Sunday after breaking it in in a wheelbarrow. I figure, why take a chance of pulling out the john boat. First toss.....(make note to self) it is important to get a good first toss with the stut set so high out of the water. Talk about a nervous moment, I tossed her in the water as I did the other Vegas and she looked like a submarine with the full whale siren on! DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! Luckily, I had the foresight to kill the engine and let the natural buoyancy come into play...Out comes the john boat I thought I would not need.

Anywho, I made a couple laps at just above idle to see how she was trimmed out. Then on about my third parade lap around the pond.......Cheese and Rice I think I awoke the giant! :eek: Keep in mind last weekend, I broke in the first Vegas all stock. Now mine, the Red Bull Racer, all Twisted out, she is a screamer. I might have to lower the prop depth as I am cutting a rooster tail about 3 and a half feet in the air and about 12-15 feet back! All in all, my guess is she was doing around 40+ still waiting on the radar gun.

No fly away boat this weekend as I took the advice of James and added 1 oz. of weight to the nose, and cut out the "turbine" in the back. I would say it was a good day.

Well, here she is:

What have you modded to get it to 40+???

Those are impresive #'s but no way stock.. :blink:

OK, here is the run down...not to give away the mystery :D .

It is all Twisted. From the .18 cvr-m to the rudder, turn fin, flex cable, 435 3-blade balanced and polished prop, vibration kit and some extras I have done on the advice of James.

You are correct, this boat is not stock.

Extensive resin work on the bottom when blueprinted (as my buddies who own a body shop have helped tremendously).

Still waiting on the finishing touches. Everything major is complete from strut to bow. I know I may be biased, but she is a looker.

Reminds me of a song I heard about being hotter than a two dollar pistol.

Check out my new Twisted Liquid Vegas, James & crew did an awesome job on this boat!! From the paint job to all the custom TL mods & polished prop it is a beauty, and it hauls butt too!!! It's running in the low 40's just as they sent it to me and with some more set-up tweaking & break-in time should go faster.

Thanks again Twisted Liquid, you were a pleasure to do business with and I look forward to more with you. I would recommend TL to anyone for parts that work and service to please.

Mike Fontana

IMG_0881.JPG

Back