Miss Vegas Sponson Mods

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlKemnitz

Hi all! Just joined the International Waters community and had a question about the sponson mods I,ve been seeing around. First, what exactly is the benefit of this mod? What are some guidelines I need to adhere to when doing this mod? Has there been a design that works the best, or is it kind of a trial and error sort of thing?

I would really like to do this mod if the benefit is speed (of course :rolleyes: ). I have alot of time on my hands while I watch the snow fall around here.

Any pics, tips, descriptions, materials used would be great. My boat currently has a Go .18 (not quite broken in yet), Octura Y535 prop, running 30% O'Donnells. Top speed so far has been 34 mph (GPS).

Thanks in advance!

Vegas_3.jpg

just from what has been done to mine, thanks GUPPY, i have noticed a bit of speed increase, and no loss of speed in corners

heres what GUPPY did to mine,

100_1299.jpg

100_1300.jpg

100_1301.jpg

100_1302.jpg

100_1303.jpg

Ill make sure Guppy knows about this topic and he can chim in on what he used to make these

Sponson mods help alot there is many different kinds they all seem to work then again some boats work great without em !!!!

Thanks Opio. Interesting design with the mod on the outboard side of one sponson, and the inboard side of the other. I guess because these boats are basically designed to turn right? Looking forward to hear from Guppy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Opio. Interesting design with the mod on the outboard side of one sponson, and the inboard side of the other. I guess because these boats are basically designed to turn left? Looking forward to hear from Guppy.
yeppers that was the thoughts behind it!

the idea behind the mods are to allow it to run a little faster and not lose momentum in the corners while still maintaining control.

the mods decrease the amount of surface on the water. putting one mod on the inside of the sponson actually lift the outside edge of the boat

causing it to ride flat in the corners so in can maintain some decent speed as it exits then excellarates down the straights. any other questions just ask or

if pics needed for steps to build and dimensions, I'll be more than happy to post them.

Hey Guppy,

Basically some construction techniques to get me started. Plywood or balsa or both? I noticed the pieces you added were not totally square - had a little dihedral built in on some of them. I looked at my stock sponsons and see they have some angle to them. Is the angle there to make the new ride surfaces flatter and parallel to the water surface? Basically flattening them out?

This looks to be a fun project. I'd love to get any kind of detailed information. :)

PS I LOVE the new cowling you made! Put me down for one if you ever produce enough to sell!

Thanks again!

Karl

I used 3/32 for the supports and 1/16 skins.

and yes you want to flatten the riding surface as much as possible.

I'm doing the same mods on a friends boat and will post pics with some measurements in the next couple days..

here ya go Raymond

these are for a .21

004-18.jpg
003-25.jpg

002-10.jpg
001-11.jpg

and for the .18 you make the back riding surfaces lower than the front from by a 1/16" up to 1/8"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guppy your sponson mods look to be a little to deep, Keep the bottom build down to 3/16 max and your stumble blocks are not deep enough. The idea of the rear mod is to give the boat a wider stance and the front pads give it recovery in the corners. Install the rear pads first then put the boat on a board with the strut set flat and the sponsons with a angle of attack at 2.5 degrees. Then mesure for the recovery pads, You want them 1/16th off the board and flat. Block sand to fit. I use 3/16th balsa squares sheeted with 1/16th ply seal with west systems and your good to go. If you have the mod to deep your going to trap to much air and the boat will get loose when the speed picks up. Just my 2 cents worth, Greg B)

Latest posts

Back