Mini/Hobby Mill

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Brown

I am thinking about buying a new Mini/Hobby Mill. I have done some research but would like some input from other users. I have read about problems with the ways and alignment with some brands. Any input, recommendations, pro & cons, would be helpful.

Thanks

DonB

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Grizzly that I have but if buying one again I'd go with the Micro Mark. However, you may be looking for something smaller.

Don ;)

You need to be careful when looking at the benchtop mini mills. One thing to be aware of is that Micro Mark, Grizzly and Harbor Freight all sell basically the same stuff. Since it's not hard to screen print different name plates, it shouldn't surprise anyone on that. I have a Sherline mill and 3X8 lathe, which are almost too small to make the larger boat parts, but since I got them and some accessories for almost nothing, I'm not going to complain. The Taig line is some of the best, if you can afford it.

I have the 2X mill from Harbor Freight and the 9X20 lathe. For the price I can't complain the tools work good for what I do. They cut aluminum well, but steel is too hard for the mill and cutting is really slow if you try. If you can afford it I would also suggest going with the Taig as it looks really well built. I also have a Sherline CNC mill and can't do much with it because it's just too small so I wouldn't recommend one.

The Grizzly, Jet, Micro Mark, Harbor Freight, Enco etc are all the same with just a few different features. It's a proven fact so if you plan to buy one of these machines go with the one with the lowest cost. The quality is the same from one brand to the other, just a different color of paint. I was able to look at a 9 x 20 jet and harbor freight lathe in person when I wanted to buy one and they are the same! Jet wanted $1295.00 and the harbor freight was $650.00. The only difference was the jet lathe came with a really crappy four jaw chuck.

Good luck with the search!

Dale P.

Nitrotwin, That's a nice combo you have. The 10 x 22 is very similar to the 9 x 20, but has a bit heavier of a casting and has a larger threw hole in the spindle. The motor is 1/4 larger too and comes with a 1" bigger chuck. I wish I had that one, but a got my 9 x 20 from Harbor Freight for $650 and couldn't pass that up for the price. The 10 x 22 lathe is also made by Sieg and is sold as the C3 lathe. The mill you have is the x3 from Sieg and is sold for about the same price at Harbor Freight.

Dale P.

Back