Milling Machine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris Lina

Hi Guys, I could use imput here. I am considering purchasing a Smithy mill, drill, lathe machine, anybody have any experience or knowledge pertaining to this product. Thanks

It is a great hobby machine as long as you keep in mind it was made in Taiwon and the lead screw is metric always use a dial indicater to measure your feed cuse the numbers on the dial will stack up on you.

Hap Mulvany said:
It is a great hobby machine as long as you keep in mind it was made in Taiwon and the lead screw is metric always use a dial indicater to measure your feed cuse the numbers on the dial will stack up on you.
Personally, I'd consider getting two machines. Taking down the setup between the lathe and Mill is a pain. You'll spend more time setting up than using the machine. You can get good machines such as a Jet at a reasonable price.

I have to agree on the setup change. I don't know how many times I have removed my three jaw over the years. But, for a first timer, this machine can get you started at a resonable price. I have the 1220XL. One of these days I will buy a bench top mill and just use the 1220 as a lathe. It is not the tighest on tolerances, but it will do everthing I need to do. It is by all means not the cheapest in quality on the market either. Beside high tolerance machines cost more. The backlash in the table and cross slide where a bit large. This can eaisly be measured and a shim made to take up some slack.

Mike

I also have the Smithy 1220XL & am totally pleased with it. I have had zero problems with it, it works great & for the price is a nice unit. As Mike said, there are worse units out there & some even cost more than the Smithy. For what we do it works just fine for me. :)

The difference in cost looks to be about $500-600 depending on which you compare to. Thats is 500-600 more in tooling you can buy.

Mike

I almost bought a Smithy, after doing some research on the web forums decided to get a mini mill and a mini lathe. I love the mini mill, the mini lathe is a bit too small. If you want more info you can see them at www.Micromark.com.

www.mini-lathe.com has lots of good info on making asian lathes and mills work good.

I am new to machining, but after using them for a little while I am so glad I didn't get a 3in1.

Mike

Chris,

I started with a Shoptask. It was a good lathe but the swap to milling and back was painful and the mill head was only good for light cuts. I then bought an Enco Mill/Drill. For a hobbiest the Mill/Drill is more than adequate. The only thing I wish it has was a dovetail collum<sp?>.

I have since sold the Shoptask and have a 12x36 lathe similar to the ones that Enco/Grizzly/Jet/Harbor Freight sell. It is a step above the Smithy/Shoptask or the 9x20 lathes.

I paid $1200 each for the lathe and mill/drill. If you keep your eyes open you can probably get better deals on used equipment. Both of mine were barely used and had most of the cosmoline on them.

Go to www.practicalmachinist.com or http://www.chaski-test.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php and ask all the machining questions you can think of. Just remember that MOST of the guys on these boards are ex-machinists and tend to bag on the import stuff.

Chris Attebery

Smitty is good, but you might want to check out Grizzly too! Good machines for a good price. I'm going to get one next year. It's ether going to be a Grizzly or the ones they sell at Harbor Freight. It depends on how much money I save up! ;)

www.grizzly.com or call for a free catalog. 1-800-523-4777

I bought a table saw from them a few years ago and it rocks! So much power I was scared to use it! Built strong and great quality.

Good luck! Dale P.

Don

This is what i am useing http://www.cbferrari.com/English/Serie-B.htm

Ferrari B18 a 5 axis milling machine and Cad/Cam systems http://www.mastercam.com/

And a lathe with C and Y axies

Looking forward too see you Andy and Allan in the WC in Slovenia.

I have too take back the title in 7,5 .

I hope my SGX / Futaba and ........ can bee reeal fast this year.

Please tell mee how too put a pictures here. <_<

Kjell Gunnar Noddeland

Norway

nice machine! I'll take 2 :huh:

not sure how Tom does pics... this is the only way I know how, using the img tags. Click the IMG button on the reply page and copy-n-paste the image URL... or do a link to the pic like this.

961299mill.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kjell Gunnar Noddeland said:
Don
This is what i am useing http://www.cbferrari.com/English/Serie-B.htm

Ferrari B18 a 5 axis milling machine and Cad/Cam systems http://www.mastercam.com/

And a lathe with C and Y axies

Looking forward too see you Andy and Allan in the WC in Slovenia.

I have too take back the title in 7,5 .

I hope my SGX / Futaba and ........ can bee reeal fast this year.

Please tell mee how too put a pictures here. <_<

Kjell Gunnar Noddeland

Norway
Gee Kjell, after seeing what you are using, it's like you got the Ferrari & I got the Yugo. :lol:

I have been very pleased with the Smithy unit, has done all I've needed it for but then I'm no professional machinist either. :blink:

Kjell, are you & Tore coming to the states again this year??

Latest posts

Back