Micro Switch vs. ESC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkt

??? I'm setting up a 6-cell rigger with ROAR motor and debating weather to go with an ESC or a micro-switch. I think I'm leaning toward the micro-switch but I want to here some opinions.

chunk t.

We used micro switches when I used to race electric drag cars. Only takes a small micro servo, probably equal to or less than the weight of a good ESC. they are great for getting as much power possible at one quick burst, not much resitance either. We use to use a 25 amp switch, pretty cheap 5-8 dollars a pop.

Not disagreeing with ya PJ, just offering my experince ;D

~ James 8)

I have darn little experience with electrics, and you should have some who knows what they're doing look at the specs...but 20 amps continuous...at 0.3 oz?

Propjockey racing.....we run electric (starters) ;D

Well I guess since I have some experience with electric riggers, (all of our rigger designs have been national champions) heres my opinion.

Riggers draw a lot of power. A 20 amp speed control is probably not going to last long even on a stock ROAR 27 turn motor.

Forget the micro switch idea. Even a multi speed micro switch set up will be hard on the motor. Also a ROAR motor is not the best choice for a rigger. The timing is way to far out, and the RPM is bare minimum.

Riggers require a lot of prop RPM to get up and go.

Find yourself a good electronic speed control. The Griffin 55 is a good controller. It has BEC which eliminates more weight.

RTR a 6 cell rigger should be about 2-2.5 lbs. The extra servo, microswitch, and mount, will put you way over this weight.

Peter

www.climatemodels.com

(For the best rigger kits)

Thanks Peter & T.F. for your thoughts.

Peter, I'm planning on sticking with the ROAR motor. I know they are a bit lacking for power, so I am intending to pull the front sponsons back a little closer to the C.G. to help unload the prop.

How will the Griffin ESC handle a Mod. motor if I choose to pop one in the tub?

chunk t

Peter is the Castle water proof? If not look into the Shark esc 6-12 cells, waterproof and bec to save weight.

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Back