Materials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted for "other" because I feel the best answer is "all of the above". Wood is usually a major component of all my boats but I use all materials for different tasks in different places.

Hey Steve,

I'm right there with Doug, even with my wood boats there's always some CF or FG and aluminium.

Paul.

FE or glow boats wood is by far the best.. (My opinion)

Wood is dimensionally more stable then the others and requires less maintenance.

If the boat is built, painted and set up properly it never changes from year to year. if the boat does not last that long because of a crash or selling it. No worry, as it has still met its obligation.

I like wood… Not all my boats are wood but I do like it best.

Grim

Hey Grim,

If the boat is built, painted and set up properly it never changes from year to year.
Since you no doubt like playing with wood ;D What are your thoughts on covering a wood build? For example you build a scale hydro and skin it with ply, would you use FG and epoxy or seal the wood and paint?

Paul.

Composite construction is the best by far........ and by composite I mean a combination of materials.

Carbon, glass and aramid with thermoset plastics combined with strategically placed wood and other fillers. Each materials best properties can be used to the maximum advantage. Not for the average do-it-yourselfer, though...... :)

Back