Making Your Own Veneer Plywood

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpack

I have a stack of Dumas kits I'll be building and going to try and roll out my own plywood for them.

The material I bought is sliced 1/42" thick Sepele veneer (measures about .023" average).

At first I had thought about simply using cold veneer glue and sheeting only one or both sides of our standard purchased ply with it, but when it arrived it was rolled and protected by several reject sheets of birch veneer. Lots of it.

This got me to think of trying to make my own small sheets all built up from what was sent and works out to be a bit cheaper than buying aircraft ply even if having to buy a gallon of glue to do it.

I've heard of vacuum bagging veneer to substrate sheets of building ply, but never have heard of anyone gluing up their own 2, 3 or 4 ply on the bench. So far I can only think of cold veneer glue, a hand roller and lots of luck.
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stack of Dumas kits I'll be building and going to try and roll out my own plywood for them.

The material I bought is sliced 1/42" thick Sepele veneer (measures about .023" average).

At first I had thought about simply using cold veneer glue and sheeting only one or both sides of our standard purchased ply with it, but when it arrived it was rolled and protected by several reject sheets of birch veneer. Lots of it.

This got me to think of trying to make my own small sheets all built up from what was sent and works out to be a bit cheaper than buying aircraft ply even if having to buy a gallon of glue to do it.

I've heard of vacuum bagging veneer to substrate sheets of building ply, but never have heard of anyone gluing up their own 2, 3 or 4 ply on the bench. So far I can only think of cold veneer glue, a hand roller and lots of luck.
unsure.gif
I've laminated veneer to ply a long time ago and as I recall just used contact cement on both pieces and after 5 minutes stuck em together and used a hand roller. How to keep the thin stuff flat- I'm not sure.

Glenn

What about making fiberglass sandwiches with it using plate glass shelf units to press it while it cures? Using different weights of cloth can yeild different thickness?? It would be a composite basically, or maybe using balsa core? Not so sure of using soft core ply.

What about slathering up all the wood in epoxy and layering it up between drop sheet plastic and the glass? Sounds heavy...

Remember the largest sheet I'll have to deal with is probably the bottom sheet and most my boats are 20 to 60 hydros, so no really large sheets have to be thought of making.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back