MAC 45 connecting rod.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stollfuss

I flipped over my mono yesterday at the practice pond. Now the motor has a binding spot in it. Has anyone ever bent a rod in a MAC 45, I know they are a steel rod with needle bearings, I would think they are pretty tough?? The boat flipped went under the water came back up right side up, and the motor was still running (puttering) I retrieved it, flushed the water out, and noticed that it felt bindy. Connecting rod? needle bearings? or something else?

Josh-

You better take it apart and check the rod and the bearings, It is easy to take off the drum case and take a look. I flipped a boat running the mac and next time i started it rod broke and the rod had a twist in it, from before or after I dont know. Hole in the bottom of the case too.

Josh,

You'd better believe it. I bent one in the exact same scenario, except in a hydro. The steel rods are indeed tough, but not bulletproof. There is ALOT of energy stored in a flywheel spinning at 25K. Liquids are non-compressable. When you try to squeeze a full lung-full of water into the volume of your head button, all of that energy has to be dispersed somewhere. Believe it or not, in this case, the rod is the weak link and it bends. Get ahold of Andy and get another one. A new rod is alot cheaper than a new engine or even just a new P/S set (which is what happened when I tried to run mine before I realized the rod was bent). If you can't find one, send me a PM, I can help you out.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I pulled the engine down, and the rod does indeed seem to have a slight twist right at the top (under the piston pin). I'm going to replace the rod and the needle bearings and keep my fingers crossed that the P/S are ok..

Josh-

It's better that they bend rather than break....lots less damage!

We have rods and needles in stock.

Your needles should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, I'll be giving you a call tomorrow..

Kelly, Well I hope not, I think (Hope) a new rod will put me back in business. Its strange, it was been upside down a couple of times, but I guess it got enough water in it this time to bend the rod. It's a really stronge running motor, I just got caught up in the wake of a big gas cat at the practice pond.. I took that rather large turn fin off replaced it with a smaller one and it handles much better! :)

Josh-

Back