MAC 21 OB on Irwin Lower?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyPierce

Hello all, was assembling my MAC OB 21 with an Irwin Carbon lower, and noticed that the flex cable isnt long enough, as the mac PTo doesnt set down in as far as the irwin. Have others used this lower with the MAC, and if so what did you do to make it work? Mill the PTO mounting surface of the lower thinner, setting the motor further down, or get a longer cable somewhere? Thanks in advance, Rod

Hello all, was assembling my MAC OB 21 with an Irwin Carbon lower, and noticed that the flex cable isnt long enough, as the mac PTo doesnt set down in as far as the irwin. Have others used this lower with the MAC, and if so what did you do to make it work? Mill the PTO mounting surface of the lower thinner, setting the motor further down, or get a longer cable somewhere? Thanks in advance, Rod
make sure that the shaft isnt sliding up in the pto to deep and not hitting your prop shaft. it leeds you to beleive that your shaft is to short. i had to put some fuel tubing in my pto so the shaft woudnt slide in so deep but that is on a cmb rs. shouldnt be much differance in ptos. hope this helps..........Scott

make sure that the shaft isnt sliding up in the pto to deep and not hitting your prop shaft. it leeds you to beleive that your shaft is to short. i had to put some fuel tubing in my pto so the shaft woudnt slide in so deep but that is on a cmb rs. shouldnt be much differance in ptos. hope this helps..........Scott
It only goes into the prop shaft about 1/2 inch, is this too much? With it in there, it doesnt even touch the PTO on the motor. Are you using an Irwin Lower?

Jim has two sizes of propshafts for his lower unit. I think i remember????

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim has two sizes of propshafts for his lower unit. I think i remember????
Just tried a standard KB prop shaft on it, and still no go. Im not sure what the heck is wrong with it. I ran this lower before with another motor and had no problems. This is the propshaft and flexshaft he sent with the lower, but it doesnt seem to work with the mac. Im not sure what the deal is.....

I have that Mac OB / Irwin lower unit combo. The flex shafts have to be a little longer than the stock K&B. Contact Fred(LawlessMan) he makes the strong arm flex shafts made for the irwin lower. Look at this post, it has alot of info on this subject:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showto...;hl=irwin+lower

Also get with Brian Nelsen if you need a propshaft for it they are a really nice unit.

Good luck Rodney.

Hopefully I get to run my setup soon. I have two of the Mac outboards. I still have to mount up my SSP quiet pipe. Rod Geraghty has one of my powerheads he is modifying. Can't wait to run it.

I have that Mac OB / Irwin lower unit combo. The flex shafts have to be a little longer than the stock K&B. Contact Fred(LawlessMan) he makes the strong arm flex shafts made for the irwin lower. Look at this post, it has alot of info on this subject:

Also get with Brian Nelsen if you need a propshaft for it they are a really nice unit.

Good luck Rodney.

Hopefully I get to run my setup soon. I have two of the Mac outboards. I still have to mount up my SSP quiet pipe. Rod Geraghty has one of my powerheads he is modifying. Can't wait to run it.
Thanks man, I will do some shimming and see what I can get first, and if it wont work that way, loosk like the lawless shaft it is.

Good luck Rodney.

when you get the pipe fitted make sure the motor will rev well on a 38mm prop and or a 40X53 then start bringing the pipe in and you we hear the mac squeal like a pig. if it takes too long to warm up and come on pipe then the fuel is too rich. Consider a 3rd ch mixture if you want to see it second stage.

Good luck and enjoy

Dave

The flex shaft I make for my lower units are 1/4" longer than K&B. This way they can be adjusted for what ever engine you run, as the PTOs differ in length. The prop shaft that Brian makes for Jim Irwin that is longer,from what I understand is longer on the outside. Originally I designed the lower unit to use a prop shaft that would be longer on the inside. I think Jim misinterpreted this and went the wrong way with the lengthing. The way I designed its would have put the flex shaft closer to the PTO. Even though the lower unit is still made this way, I chose to stay with the K&Bs measurement so that should I come out with a prop shaft they can be used for other makes.

Richard Konnen

R.E.K. Machine & Mold

hey guys, i don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how to get a hold of irwin? i need some stuff and info.

Hey Shadow you thread Highjacker!!!!! LOL Here is his number

JAMES IRWIN

1-765-747-4190

SHOP-4192

Jason

Back