LYNX HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winzracing

Hi GUYS..I have a LYNX that I have now decided to fit a MODIFIED KB 3.5 that was done by James.(THANKS JAMES ITS GREAT). ANYWAY i have fitted the engine and measured the prop face to the back of the transom and get exactly 5 and a half inches bearing in mind I have fitted the engine to an adjustable motor mount from Vince in California.Now on a previous LYNX a mate of mine has he has a 0S21 XM and his engine is set to 6 and a half inches from the prop face to the transom.Does anyone know if my measurement will be ok as I dont think there are many KB engines out there fitted to this hull as apparently is was designed using the OS21..Thanks Baz( UK )

Hey Barry, I ran a lynx with a K&B, and it didnt like it too well. If you space it to match the OS distance, it will be better, but still not perfect. The K&B lower is much different to the OS or Lawless. Your best bet would be either to run a OS lower, or a Lawless lower. Lynx boats are very finicky about set-up.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey james buddy,ok were can I get a Lawless lower from?? do you have any lying around your place

LOL.. ****, it was hard to get and keep them when I was actually in the business, much less now that im not. Your best bet is to email Fred at Lawless directly. he should be able to help you out. email is:

[email protected]

Tell him James sent ya.

~James

Thanks James for that I will contact him..On the other side do you have any steering kits left that you used to sell as in need of one..cheers Barry

I guess I should fill you in on another little piece of bad news. Victors mounts won't work on a Lynx either.

It sets the lower way... to far back. Even the Precision style is a bit to deep. When I set my boat up with the Lawless I found that the standard style mount also was further back than Carls #s. I ended up making my own mount.

So ya wanna go fast....... :)

Hi GUYS..I have a LYNX that I have now decided to fit a MODIFIED KB 3.5 that was done by James.(THANKS JAMES ITS GREAT). ANYWAY i have fitted the engine and measured the prop face to the back of the transom and get exactly 5 and a half inches bearing in mind I have fitted the engine to an adjustable motor mount from Vince in California.Now on a previous LYNX a mate of mine has he has a 0S21 XM and his engine is set to 6 and a half inches from the prop face to the transom.Does anyone know if my measurement will be ok as I dont think there are many KB engines out there fitted to this hull as apparently is was designed using the OS21..Thanks Baz( UK )
Would you like a PDF file of the setup instructions? Your setup will be too short. You will need to make a spacer. To quote the manual:
"The O.S. 3.5cc outboard engine can be mounted to the transom using the factory engine mount. The Lynx was designed and tested using the O.S. and the Lawless lower units. Your prop hub-face* should be 6.0” +/- 1/8 from the transom (no matter what lower unit or adjustable engine mount you choose). This distance allows for easy race trim. This is a critical dimension. If you neglect this detail, you will never see the full performance potential of your Lynx.

*Prop hub-face: The front face of your prop hub. The joint between the propeller and the propeller dog (cog) is used as a generic reference point for prop placement.

Initial vertical prop placement for 3.5cc Modified: With zero thrust (prop shaft perfectly level with the sponson bottom), the lower edge of the prop shaft bullet casting should fall between even with the sponson bottom or 1/16 above. Drill engine mount holes so that you have equal vertical adjustment from this point.

Initial vertical prop placement for 3.5cc Stock: With zero thrust, the lower edge of the prop shaft bullet casting should be 3/32” to 1/8” above the bottom. Drill engine mount holes so that you have equal vertical adjustment from this point.

Proper thrust angle setting: 0 to 1/8 degree of negative thrust (maximum) "

"When using Lawless lower units with other mounts, be sure to check the prop hub-face spacing and make sure it falls with-in 1/8” of the specs mentioned above.

When using other engines and mounts that don’t place the prop within the suggested location, the boat may experience trouble launching and have difficulty trimming correctly. This model is very sensitive to prop placement and C/G."

"FOR K&B LOWER UNITS:

When using the K&B Outboard lower unit, a 2” extension to the factory motor mount is required. This boat will not function correctly using a K&B lower unit unless the recommended prop face location is observed."

Do yourself a huge favor and buy an OS lower if you plan on racing a L Y N X . Then modify the power head to take the OS PTO. That is what Mark Anderson did to my MAC that won the NAMBA nats last year and the only thing I do to go from Stock to Mod is change the power head all other settings stay the same.

Sorry Walt not sure what you are getting at Im abit CONFUSED NOW as the OS 21 engine prop face hub sits at least 6 inches away from the transom were me fitting the KB on Victors mount the prop face is 5 and a half inches so if NOT I need to still move the engine out??? on the other hand JAMES what will be the BEST bet for me as I do have another OS Lower lying around.CAN i mount a KB POWERHEAD TO A OS LOWER unit?? Is there an adaptor?? If NOT then I would obviously have to go for a Lawless... MY aim is to get the KB powerehead on there and see how this boat goes with it. Thanks Boys for your help

Barry, use the OS Lower unit. Send it to me and I will fix it up for you with a K&B style mount plate from a lawless. This requires machining the existing mount plate for the OS engine off of the lower unit, and bolting the K&B pattern mounting plate on the OS lower unit. This is easy, and MUCH cheaper than converting an OS PTO to fit another engine, unless you happen to have an extra OS PTO laying around.

I just happen to have an extra K&B mounting plate left over from Lawless sitting here in the shop. Let me know if this all makes sense.

James Clegg

Waldstrasse 13

66887 Neunkirchen a.P.

Deutschland.

~James

Barry, here is a picture of what I am talking about. This is an OS lower unit that I have on my Straight Away boat, and it is shown with a Rossi on it, which has the same bolt pattern as a K&B. You cant tell much from the picture, but the plate that the engine mounts to on the lower unit is not the original OS plate. I machine that off, drill and tap holes, and bolt on the new plate that has the common pattern (K&B, Rossi, Nova, CMB etc etc).

IMG_0454.jpg

~James

Sorry Walt not sure what you are getting at Im abit CONFUSED NOW as the OS 21 engine prop face hub sits at least 6 inches away from the transom were me fitting the KB on Victors mount the prop face is 5 and a half inches so if NOT I need to still move the engine out??? on the other hand JAMES what will be the BEST bet for me as I do have another OS Lower lying around.CAN i mount a KB POWERHEAD TO A OS LOWER unit?? Is there an adaptor?? If NOT then I would obviously have to go for a Lawless... MY aim is to get the KB powerehead on there and see how this boat goes with it. Thanks Boys for your help
Sorry for confusing you, what I meant was,with Victors mount and a Lawless, the prop would be too far back. With the K&B, it would be the opposite scenario.I didn't think you were considering the K&B lower still.

But that lower foot dimension is very critical on what ever lower you choose. I've found, unlike the HTB, the boat is VERY finicky to setups, but when you hit it, there's no boat faster. So start with exactly what the instructions calls for on the setup.Initial setup is VERY important more so on this boat than most others. But it's still frustrating sometimes.

But it sure is perty when they double stage, the boat actually takes a different set, lays down and boogies :D

Barry, use the OS Lower unit. Send it to me and I will fix it up for you with a K&B style mount plate from a lawless. This requires machining the existing mount plate for the OS engine off of the lower unit, and bolting the K&B pattern mounting plate on the OS lower unit. This is easy, and MUCH cheaper than converting an OS PTO to fit another engine, unless you happen to have an extra OS PTO laying around.
I just happen to have an extra K&B mounting plate left over from Lawless sitting here in the shop. Let me know if this all makes sense.

James Clegg

Waldstrasse 13

66887 Neunkirchen a.P.

Deutschland.

~James

Boy, I type slow.

James, you wooped my butt on the keyboard. Two posts to my one in less time :D

Barry,

Take James up on his offer.

That's the best thing you could do for your Lynx.

But I don't think it would be legal with the K&B powerhead in sport.

Yeah, my fat fingers do pretty well on a keyboard. :)

Barry races in the UK, so I am not sure what his rules are, but I think* (there I go again) that he wants to run this in the mod class?

~James

Hey James,

Neat idea man! I have to ask though as the pic's dont really show it, but have you tapped the OS lower to accomodate bolting the lawless plate to it, and if so do you have a pic I could have a look at?

The reason I ask is, this might help my buddy Gino out who's thinking of doing a similar conversion and doesn't have the OS PTO yet ( unlike me! Muhaha Gino!)

Tim.

Hey Tim, yeah I tapped the OS lower unit for the plate to bolt to. I dont have a pic on the computer, but will run down stairs in a few minutes and snap a few of it. Once you machine off the OS mounting plate, there is plenty of material there for bolting the plate on.

~James

Sorry Tim, took the pics yesterday, and forgot to post them. Here ya go:

DSCN0347.jpg

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0345.jpg

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the lower unit set-up in the mill to remove the old mouting plate. Once you get it secured and square, its all down hill.

~James

Thank you James!

I would have thought getting the new plate and mounting holes centred would be the tricky part - was that difficult at all?

Nah, it was just a matter of lining up the hole on the plate with the cutout in the lower unit, then careful measuring for holes.

Latest posts

Back