lower unit grease zerk?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m brater

Just wondering if anybody ever tried drilling and tapping/ putting in a grease zerk on their lower unit so you don't have to take apart each time to grease? I'm wondering if the grease would pack-up in the lower bearing from squirting pressure from grease gun? I found that after a one tank full run all my grease is gone, I'm using semi-synthic wheel bearing grease. Also using the mock stainless steal flex shaft tubing-love it! ;D

I've done it with all of my K&B outboards. I use a pressure fitting drilled and tapped into the side. Drill it from the inside so that it's aligned then tap it. You will probably have to shorten the flex cable tube to just below the fitting. Make sure that the fitting does not extend into the shaft area. I bought an oil can for a discount store and cut off the fitting off of the end of it, mine had tygon tubing. If it has metal tubing, you might be able to slip a piece of fuel tubing over it to adapt.

Rather than going to all that trouble...

Go to a garden supply store and buy a small hand-held grease gun designed for lubing the sprocket tip of a chainsaw blade. They have a small tapered tip designed to be held against the small holes for lubrication. Put your flex shaft grease in the gun, and simply squirt it in! There are some cheap plastic ones that come with grease in them already, but if you look, you can find an aluminum model that is worth the extra couple of bucks. Much handier than a full size grease gun, too. I also use a medical hypodermic syringe with a plastic tip, but it does not hold as much grease. ;)

Ron and Pilgrim thanks for the great tips, I'll put them to good use! Pilgrim where do I get one of those metal ones? thanks, Mike ;D

Did you see the picture on page two of the fuel topic yet? You can see a little brass tubing poppong out right under the pto. That's how I did it on this engine. I use this before every run. Squirt plain 20w50 oil in it. After each run I first flush the shaft with wd40 and after that a sqirt of silicon based oil before I put it away.

Oscar

ps the fuel topic is on page 2 of this forum

M Brater,

try any lawn & garden supply stores. Anyplace that repairs chainsaws. I bought mine years ago, last time I looked at Home Depot, all they had was the plastic ones.

Back