Loss of Control!! (PICS ADDED)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a little time this morning and I have takin somes pictures. The switch harness looks to be fine but I'm not takin any chances with that.

I will be gone till wed. eve. Any more idea's would be appreciated.

Boat Pics

Alan....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had almost the same problem occur to me. I changed everything and was frustrated for weeks. Finally I changed the receiver crystal. Once I did that everything worked fine and the problem went away. Turned out the crystal was damaged. Try swapping it out if you have another set or spare on the same channel.

Also, how much slack do you have in your antenna wire when you close the radio box lid? If you have a lot and your just stuffing it in it will cause bad things to happen. The best way to solve that is get a small stiff square of carboard and on opposite sides punch small holes and weave the antenna wire in and out until the slack is gone. Now you'll have perfect harmony from the receivver to the servos, battery etc...

After looking at the pictures of your radio box setup it seems like the control rods for the steering, throttle and third channel are way too close to each other. Possibly at full throttle the rod is touching one of your steering rods. Turn your radio and receiver on, go full throttle on the trigger, turn your engine side to side to see if there is any contact. Also do the same thing with your third channel servo. Those rods are too close for my comfort. Also, your antenna wire looks like there is a lot of slack in it. Get rid of the slack.

The best thing to do would be to get a friend to stand by your boat and do the aforementioned tests. Walk further away from the boat like you would be doing in a range check. Second, Get as far away from your boat as you can and have your friend fire the boat up and repeat the tests. Obviously don't run the engine for too long in that scenario.

Like someone else mentioned replace your crystal and see if that works. Same thing with the wiring harness and switch.

One other thing that I can think of is how good are the bearings in the engine? I had a problem with my servos glitching while on the water one time. I ended up replacing the bearings and everything worked normal again.

Hope you figure it out. If you do, please let everyone know what you did.

Happy boating,

David

DaddySundown said:
What the heck is Vet Wrap!

Is that the wrap that comes in colors and used to wrap animal legs?
Yep..

Alan, is there anything protecting the wires between the two boxes? Doubt that is the cause of you problem. It may be wise to protect the wires from anything that might cause a tear on them.

Thats a nother one that I have conqured on my hulls the small switch seem to not last as long as the heavy duty switch. The push rod for the switch can vibrat off at high speeds. It always seened to turn off on me too. I had to slip fuel line over my push rod and made the rod sit tighter next to the transome brace, and at the radio box. That helped, but the fuel line peice will work its way loose and cause a power outage also.

Good luck!!

I have had this problem with PCM radios. First try turning OFF the fail safe. If it still does it try a PPM reciever and switch the TX to PPM and see what happens.

Just my .02

I sure wouldn't trust that single pole switch, only one contact point between your hard work and a rock (or a spectator). You can spring load them on for more safety too. ;)

DaddySundown said:
Grimracer said:
Allen,
Get rid of the twist ties and use Vet wrap enstead..

Grim

106836[/snapback]

What the heck is Vet Wrap!

Is that the wrap that comes in colors and used to wrap animal legs?

Alan..

106840[/snapback]

I've used the Vet Wrap in the past with good results but I recently began using bicycle tubes to wrap the receiver and it seals real well.

Alan, any chance the two steering servos are binding up as more pressure increases? It seems like one stronger servo would have less demand on the system.

Well I did not have any time to work on this boat till I actually got to Jackson at about 3:30 pm.

I replaced the crystal, the switch and insulated the push rods. Took about 2 hours to get her back together for a test. Put it in the water at 6:30. I made 2 laps and she died. I leaned the needle a bit and put it back in, after 2 laps she started to slow so I brought it in and she was hot. I had a restrictor in the cooling line from the water pick up to the head. I removed that and threw it in again and all problems has seem to have went away and she lives and screams again.

I don't know weather the over heat problem was related or not but so far so good. I will be racing it tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Alan....

DaddySundown said:
Well I did not have any time to work on this boat till I actually got to Jackson at about 3:30 pm.
I replaced the crystal, the switch  and insulated the push rods. Took about 2 hours to get her back together for a test. Put it in the water at 6:30. I made 2 laps and she died. I leaned the needle a bit and put it back in, after 2 laps she started to slow so I brought it in and she was hot. I had a restrictor in the cooling line from the water pick up to the head. I removed that and threw it in again and all problems has seem to have went away and she lives and screams again.

I don't know weather the over heat problem was related or not but so far so good. I will be racing it tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Alan....

108054[/snapback]

Be easy on leaning that needle, especially in the brutal heat I'm sure you guys are witnessing now I'm sure.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes Alan!

Scott Norris

DaddySundown said:
I replaced the crystal, the switch  and insulated the push rods. Took about 2 hours to get her back together for a test. Put it in the water at 6:30. I made 2 laps and she died. I leaned the needle a bit and put it back in, after 2 laps she started to slow so I brought it in and she was hot. I had a restrictor in the cooling line from the water pick up to the head. I removed that and threw it in again and all problems has seem to have went away and she lives and screams again.

Alan....

108054[/snapback]

Alan,

Were you able to get your package before you left for the race?

Carl,

We can assume some type of interference that is causing one problem but I would have to agree with some others that you have another problem which may be the cause of your first/only problem. The radio is not going into failsafe. This should be the issue at the top of the list. I would think power or receiver problem. If you have one of the two then this would cause your loss of control and/or loss of failsafe.

After replacing the switch and the crystal the problem went away.

Just could not seem to finish a heat of racing. :(

4th heat I was leading the pack then dumped it at the #5 bouy on the second lap. :rolleyes:

Last heat the piston broke on the start table. :angry:

Alan....

not to sway the direction of this forum but an interesting bit to me...... what are you using to restrict your waterflow?

nate

bbnate804 said:
not to sway the direction of this forum but an interesting bit to me...... what are you using to  restrict your waterflow?
nate

109732[/snapback]

Nate,

This restrictor is plastic and made by Robart, it has a 1/16" hole through it with a hose barb on each end and as I atated before it fits in the line between the pick up and the enhines head.

Link to Restrictor

Alan.....

Back