Long time boater, newbie R/C boater

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickracer

Sorry if this is kinda long. I just bought a RTR 54" Mono hull with an 11cc K&B (3.75 hp @23,000 rpm) nitro motor, from my tool man. The motor seized the third time I started it. It never really ran, just kind of revved up then died. Anyway, to the point, I'm contemplating switching the boat over to gas power. I've looked at lots of motors on various websites, and been pretty impressed with a few of them. The problem is, all the ones I really like are way beyond my budget right now. A cursory examination of the dead K&B revealed that the cylinder and piston look OK, so the problem has to be main brng. or rod related ( I didn't open the bottom end, only removed the head). I'm trying to decide on the best option,

1: Fix the K&B, and live with $20+ per gallon fuel costs, finicky operation, noise that may attract unwanted attention from the law and neighbors, and having to haul all kinds of stuff along to take the thing out.

2: Save up and buy a modded 40 cc to 60 cc gas motor making at least 4+ hp.

3: Convert a weedeater or backpack blower motor to use on the boat till I can afford something like a modded Hanson/Zenoah G250 PUM (water cooled 25.6CC, 5.3 hp @16,200)

I have a couple of ECHO PB46 HT backpack blowers to build a motor out of. Would one of these work? What would it take to make it run? I'm thinking fab one/some motor mounts, adapt the drive shaft, hook up the throttle, re-prop, and go see how it runs.Is this a viable plan? I am VERY handy with tools (that's how I got my nickname), and am dying to get this boat in the water. Thanks in advance for all replies.

rick,

57 is BIG, go with a zenoah g-260. buy one stock then you can just mod it as you go. 11c is too small for that boat to run fast. the other option IMO would be fixing the KickButt and changing hulls. are you planning on racing once you've got the hang of it?

Joe

I'm not a very experienced rc-boater, but I agree.

Get a zenoah for that hull and save the old engine for your next one.

Cause I can promise you. Once you start, you can't stop with just one boat ;)

I am currently building a .15 nitro mono. And simply cause it is takeing so long I ended up building another boat...uh...thing. Well. I'm putting an engine in a soda bottle ;D ;D

If you can't afford the zenoah, maybe you can find some alternative? I don't know how good those blower engines are, but a friend of mine uses a chainsaw engine. Tuned up it gives 4-5 hp.

Good luck.

After reading a bit more, I'm not sure it's a mono. It's more of a deep V, and the strut exits out of the keel. I was told it does 70 mph with the K&B on it. I go to boating events a fair bit, and wanted to haul this R/C boat with me to run from my 21' Eliminator Daytona/V8 Evinrude family boat. It just seems like gas will be much more user friendly under those circumstances. I will probably never race formally, between my two businesses, I don't have the time. But I want great performance from it (don't we all :) ). Way over powered should be just about right. :)

There is a guy on E-Bay selling the Zenoah 260 for $260.00 as a buy it now. I asked him how much to buy one with out going through E-Bay and he said $240.00 I have looked around and this is the best price I have seen so far. You can always run this engine stock this summer and send it to somebody for work this winter if you arn't happy with the speed. As I talked to him more I found out that he owns Bonzi Sports, a good sized RC boat company, and has everything you might need. He makes his own clutch, pipe, engine mount, running hardware, etc. His number is (317) 844 - 4695 Or check out his web site www.bonzisports.com

How about this?

I have a used 30cc homelite out of my prather boat I'd like to sell or trade. Right now it has a air cooled head and dry exhaust but I have a water cooled head that has been ported and polished and a extra carb for the motor. Runs good and has a clutch and pull start and drive cable and guide for drive cable. I can email pics of the motor asking 65.00 shipped within US or trade for a .46 or larger nitro marine inboard motor. Email [email protected]

No prob.

BTW...that was copied from the "For Sale" forum. That's neither my engine nor my email address.

Latest posts

Back