Long runs for fun?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

4160mah packs, 276g, 44 max amps 3S1P packs

$126.00 retail

LiPoly is the future for boat racing.

whats the voltage.. I am looking for a 7.5 or something close to it with 75 to 90 amp max amps

what you got..

Steve Vasdekis said:
When are they ready? Also do they come with more cells in series?
Steve
All sorts of packs are coming soon...

Right now we have 2S and 3S 7.4V and 11.1V

Hey Steve, You say Lipoly is the future of racing. I think they are the future, but how they affect Racing may not be good for the future of racing. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just think discusion needs to start sooner then later on just how these new cells can be used in North American Sprint Racing.

Heres some concerns.

There are many choices of sizes and manufactures of lipo cells. I can count on one hand the sub-c size cells that can be used. What will be the best? and do we want one person running 4S4P packs of 1020 cells and another running 4S2P packs of 2080 cells? in the same class. A wrong choice in cell purchase for the season can cost alot of money and or wins.

Lipo cell tech seems to change so quickly. How will this affect Racers. Who will make the call on which cells are OK to use for racing. What about charging between heats? It is important to moniter any cell chemistry while charging but can this be done. In the case of lipo's. I personaly would buy a fireproof safe before I would sit and watch cells peak. :D

If these new cells are allowed, Organized racing needs some new rules regarding cells or we will lose frustrated racers. Coming up with those new rules is gonna be a major undertaking and I think Kellys Offshore rules thread will be miniscule in comparison :(

Last edited by a moderator:
LOU said:
Hey Steve, You say Lipoly is the future of racing. I think they are the future, but how they affect Racing may not be good for the future of racing. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just think discusion needs to start sooner then later on just how these new cells can be used in North American Sprint Racing.
Heres some concerns.

There are many choices of sizes and manufactures of lipo cells. I can count on one hand the sub-c size cells that can be used. What will be the best? and do we want one person running 4S4P packs of 1020 cells and another running 4S2P packs of 2080 cells? in the same class. A wrong choice in cell purchase for the season can cost alot of money and or wins.

Lipo cell tech seems to change so quickly. How will this affect Racers. Who will make the call on which cells are OK to use for racing. What about charging between heats? It is important to moniter any cell chemistry while charging but can this be done. In the case of lipo's. I personaly would buy a fireproof safe before I would sit and watch cells peak. :D

If these new cells are allowed, Organized racing needs some new rules regarding cells or we will lose frustrated racers. Coming up with those new rules is gonna be a major undertaking and I think Kellys Offshore rules thread will be miniscule in comparison :(
Dude, I just heard today of new 2600mah Nicads....we will always have new technology. Brushless motor and controllers of week go on and on do they not?

LiPoly is the future....3.7V per cell vs. 1.2 per cell? I feel we should have an open, unlimited enduro class right now.

As for technology since 1980

N1200SCR

N1400SCR

N1900SCR

R/C 1700SCR (and about 4 other versions, old guys help me out here)

R/C 2000

R/C 2400

R/C 3000

R/C 3300

Panasonic 3000

Panasonic 3000

GP3000

GP3300 Sanyo R/C 3600

CP2400

Who's next?

Hi Steve, I can see I need more fingers :D but using sub-c's right now I know I want to run GP3300's for racing. I know if I buy these cells I can run all my boats from 6 to 18 cells. For me its easy I have one choice, the overall best choice GP3300's

I have been to your site many times checking out the offering of Lipoly. Ive been so tempted to hit the "BUY" button but always chicken out.

Who's gonna set the standard?

Some in TO want to race an N2 offshore unduro using lipoly and a 19 turn spec motor or equilent and run 6-8 mins. What do I buy?

I'd like to set up my P-Spec offshore-700 motor 14.4 volts. We run 4 mins on an offshore course, ideally if I went to lipoly I'd like to run all 3 heats without charging inbetween heats. What cells do I get?

My P-Hydro Aveox 1409 on 10 sub-c's. I could use 2 4160 packs in parralel with a total weight of 552gr vrs 10 sub-c's at 630gr and I think I would be very close to being able to finish 3 heats without charging inbetween. Is this a good choice?

I want to be able to use 2s2P packs in my N2 but also have a connector board in my P-offshore that will allow me simply to plug in packs in series or Parralel. This way I can have standard packs.

I still think that for racing(if lipolys are ever allowed in all classes) there has to be a standard spec. I also know this is new tech and it will take time to find out which cells are best for FE boats. I was looking forward to seeing the results from MI about the lipo's in the big 1/8th's but no one used them. What a disapointment :(

LOU said:
Hi Steve,  I can see I need more fingers :D   but using sub-c's right now I know I want to run GP3300's for racing.  I know if I buy these cells I can run all my boats from 6 to 18 cells.  For me its easy I have one choice, the overall best choice GP3300's
I have been to your site many times checking out the offering of Lipoly. Ive been so tempted to hit the "BUY" button but always chicken out.

Who's gonna set the standard?

Some in TO want to race an N2 offshore unduro using lipoly and a 19 turn spec motor or equilent and run 6-8 mins.  What do I buy?

I'd like to set up my P-Spec offshore-700 motor 14.4 volts.  We run 4 mins on an offshore course, ideally if I went to lipoly I'd like to run all 3 heats without charging inbetween heats.  What cells do I get?

My P-Hydro Aveox 1409 on 10 sub-c's. I could use 2 4160 packs in parralel with a total weight of 552gr vrs 10 sub-c's at 630gr and I think I would be very close to being able to finish 3 heats without charging inbetween.  Is this a good choice?

I want to be able to use 2s2P packs in my N2 but also have a connector board in my P-offshore that will allow me simply to plug in packs in series or Parralel.  This way I can have standard packs.

I still think that for racing(if lipolys are ever allowed in all classes) there has to be a standard spec.  I also know this is new tech and it will take time to find out which cells are best for FE boats.  I was looking forward to seeing the results from MI about the lipo's in the big 1/8th's  but no one used them.  What a disapointment :(
Lou,

I guess I think outside the box when it comes to rules. Trent Hare hated the box and all of it's limitations. I guess I need to run myself and add to my my own web site with results that I have achieved.

I don't have details for every class and what LiPoly packs are needed and I am not trying to sell R/C boaters LiPoly packs. I just feel that I want to run 10 mins and have fun. Maybe a 700BB in a tunnel hull or something. Sprint classes would risk problems and surly cause cell failures, it happens all the time with NIMH cells today.

In the end, I hope that someone offers a 10 min class someday or even a run till your done type thing.

You can look at the specs and do the math for your configuration. Thunder Power has some big packs that can meet any needs. Apogee will have very soon.

I believe that the technology will level out now for several months.

thanks for responding.

Steve

well I will be able to report how they react in a big 53" cat with dual 2280/10's in about 2 months.. each motor will have a 10S9P set of lipolys

hi just a note

Under the current rules all nicad and nimh in the boat must be counted

We could get 1o minutes now if we were allowed to parallel cells

I think there needs to be a limitation on the number of cells to be paralleled either to 1 or 2 series in parallel

Other wise the potential exists to create enormous expense now which will be redundant in 12 months

Ultimately LiPo will get to the state where the cells will be able to be run in a single series.

IMO that is when they will be truly ready for the high current continuous current draws of boats

Alternatively go to time based races like Naviga so the empahsis is on developing efficient boats around the existing LiPo technology. Naviga regualrly increases race times to ensure new cells not new motors and cells are need to maintained competitiveness.

brooks93 said:
well I will be able to report how they react in a big 53" cat with dual 2280/10's in about 2 months.. each motor will have a 10S9P set of lipolys
Gee Wizz Kelly....90 cells in each pack? 180 LiPoy cells? No offense dude, that's crazy.

Andy,

I think there needs to be a limitation on the number of cells to be paralleled either to 1 or 2 series in parallel

This would difficult to police.

Ultimately LiPo will get to the state where the cells will be able to be run in a single series.

Not sure this will ever happen for 70 amp sprint hulls, maybe 2P

Other wise the potential exists to create enormous expense now which will be redundant in 12 months

Top racers are buying new cells once or twice a year now.

Do you have the Naviga link?

thanks

Steve

Gee Wizz Kelly....90 cells in each pack? 180 LiPoy cells? No offense dude, that's crazy.
ya that sounds about right but, they are still lighter then 64 nimh

the 9P is overkill I don't need 100amp cont but, I want a cusion.. I will only be pulling about 45 to 55 amps cont.. don't want them to get hot so more is better

That is exactly why we should allow LiPo in N2 offshore.So that we can better figure out what the hell to do with theese new cells.

Not many people are going to spend that much money on a cell that they cant use in a race.

If you opened a class up and legalized it people would be more apt to purchase them to race with and we would more quickly be able to define there practicality and set forth rules to govern this.If we wait we could find our selves quickly way behind.

Dennis

I completely agree with you on the Lipoly issue and there are others in our club that think the same. We are considering , for next year, in having an N2 Offshore class that allows Lipoly cells (specifies a maximum pack voltage), limits the motor to a spec 19 turn and runs for about 8 minutes per heat. Our club (Metro Marine Modellers, Toronto) has always been on the forefront of using new technology and developing cost-effective racing. We were running a "P" Spec (700 motor) Mono/Offshore class for two years before any NAMBA club considered it.

forresterace said:
DennisI completely agree with you on the Lipoly issue and there are others in our club that think the same. We are considering , for next year, in having an N2 Offshore class that allows Lipoly cells (specifies a maximum pack voltage), limits the motor to a spec 19 turn and runs for about 8 minutes per heat. Our club (Metro Marine Modellers, Toronto) has always been on the forefront of using new technology and developing cost-effective racing. We were running a "P" Spec (700 motor) Mono/Offshore class for two years before any NAMBA club considered it.
There ya go, that's exactly what should happen.

""top racers are buying new cells once or twice a year now.""

All the more reason to come up with somethign that does not require replacing every six months

The big advantage of Naviga racing - which despite 6 minute races is nearly as quick as Namba oval is that current draws are kept down and cells last.

Well, Our local club as decided to let me run my 12 cell sport hydro with 2 - 2S4P thunderpower packs just to see how they compare with the current technology.

Here's what I've found so far.

1 - I've had to go a little more conservative with my setup to get the current down. However, the speed is still the same as the voltage is slightly higher with the Lioplys.

2 - The weight savings is about 4 ounces.

3 - I can charge the night before and use the same pack all day WITHOUT recharging or repeaking. I'd just unplug the pack after each heat and plug them back in when it was time to race. The last lap of the third heat was as fast as the first lap of the first heat. Incredible.

4 - I won all three heats which alwasy makes me happy!

I don't know what direction the rules should go. For now I'll just keep running these at our club races to get a little more education!

Dick Crowe

Latest posts

Back