link to jims big brushless 3080

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofastformellow

a link to jims where this motor is being discussed:

http://p086.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockfrm...icID=4991.topic

a couple of questions:

what sort of speed control would be bullet proof with 40 cells on that 3080 motor ???

is there a Link ? interesting that firefox has the motor but no controller listed

-roughly- how heavy would the motor wth mounts , 40 cells and the speed controller weigh ???

curious

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
While some are enamored with that big motor, it is really a poor idea for current FE technology IMO. Yes it will pull 175 amps (but so will a dead short), and the Schulze 40-160 on the Firefox site will probably handle it, but no battery pack will do so. Try to pull over 100 amps continuous out of a 32-cell pack of NiMH cells and you'll destroy them in short order. Like TP said, to get the cells to last you need to run double the number in parallel packs - this is common in europe. A pack of 32 cells weighs an extra 4.4#. Even current top-end LiPos will be stressed, and at their cost ($950 for 30 volts) I'd not want to risk a meltdown myself. In a few years we may well have the power (battery chemistry) to run one of these at full tilt, but if you want to get all the power out of it now, be prepared to pay in "disposable" batteries.

Hi fellas. I posted that on Jim's, I did to spark interest. What I said is true, just impractical. Like Jay said, it's only a matter of time.

Steve

thanks for the replies - any guesses to total weight... with 64 cells then.... :p

64 cells would have to get close to a car battery in weight - battery ???

the other question is can you parrallel speed controllers ??? over multiple poles ??

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
...any guesses to total weight... with 64 cells
64 cells = 8.8#Motor = 3.5#

ESC = 0.4#

Radio gear = 0.3#

Hull, hardware and misc. = ?

64 cells would have to get close to a car battery in weight - cant you pull 600+ amps (short term ) out of an expensive Yasua battery ???
Who makes a 40-volt "car battery" that weighs under 9 pounds and fits in a toy boat?
the other question is can you parrallel speed controllers
No, only to run two motors off the same channel.

Latest posts

Back