"Lights" outboard conversion flywheel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

Anyone have any tips to keep these flywheels from spinning loose? I'm not having much success keeping them done up. I am using a nyloc nut to hold it and am using the brass novarrossi flywheel insert.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

I have some machined down OS flywheels (steel insert) that work much better. problem is the brass insert! It wears downs due to starter being banged on it all the time...wonder what the keep uses? Pretty sure the one I replaced bearings in for a friend had a brass insert so we added an OS flywheel to it while it was apart...

Was going to offer them up to people, what better time that mentioning it than now! LMK if ur interested...

Since changing to one on Bob I'd advice, I have not had a single problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the bump start chews out the brass collet from what I have seen.

I'm still on my original Novarossi collet, but I don't ever bump start.

Having said that, Kris - two of those have my name on them;)

I had problems with the brass collet and changed to an older style CMB Flywheel and steel collet and had no problems since then.

I've had Lights and machined OS flywheels on my GO powerheads. Neither has come undone but I don't often use the bump start technique. I learned to take care that the collet and flywheel are a proper taper match so that the nut has a chance to pull up to high tension. I did have issues with that early on!

Latest posts

Back