Let have some fun!!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleece3

I just purchase a Dumas Scarab 38kv. I know it is not the fastest boat on the water, but I REALLY love the look (Miami Vice). I DO want to make it the fastest boat that I can. So, to that end, I turn here. I have made NO decision as to setup (gas/nitro, .67/80 etc). So if you where building this boat how would you do it? Any hull mods? tips? etc. I really the fastest Scarab and I want to be respectable in a race (maybe even win one or two:)

Idea????

Floyd

I don't know how fast it would be, but wouldn't a Conley V8 w/blower be sweet?! Run it through a Graupner Z-Antrieb inboard/outboard unit. THAT would be respectable, even if you don't win a single race!

OH MY GOD!!!!! I had NEVER seen this motor. Being an old drag racer I was impressed to say the least. However, the price..................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleece;

Those are pretty cool hulls...and you can make 'em go pretty fast!!

I have built mono-hulls almost excusively over 20 yrs...and believe me....you can give almost any hydro a run for their money...in rough water..you will smoke 'em! (Now I am gonna hear it from the hydro dudes)

Start by overpowering...an OS .90 or similar should do...next, you will need trimtabs to keep her in the water at speeds over 40mph. A really smooth finish on the bottom will help for overall performance/handling too.

Drive hardware is important. I recommend the 'strudder' (strut/rudder) assembly from Aeromarine. Its butt-ugly, but very functional. (and pretty cheap) It will also allow for some great 'fine-tuning'.

Hot fuel is over rated. 25% should be all you need for all-round reliability/performance.

If you are feeling ambitios, install twin .45s, or .60s. (Counter-rotating is even cooler but not req'd) It will diminish the torque steer you will get with one monster engine.

At the end of the day, you may not catch a hydro. You may have more power, but control is directly proportional to speed. Over 60mph....it will be impossible to keep under control in anything other than 'mirror' or very light chop conditions...and this is where a hydro will 'shine'.

...in rough chop....you will smoke 'em!!

PS: Install flotation!!! I hit (we met!) a hydro-boater @ WOT (with a similarly overpowered boat) last summer, and confirmed my beliefs that Mono's sink faster!! Doh!! ???

..diving for smashed models sucks!!!

Yo fleece--here ya go, Dude!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=34058

i-1_B.JPG

Latest posts

Back