1st Time Custom Build - Dumas Scarab

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny Gallagher

Hi, first custom boat, 2nd post on the forum. I recently purchased a 90% complete kit
Dumas Scarab 45"
- Hull and Deck (separate pieces)
- Some wood interior, crossbeams and supports I think.

Need some guidance on where to begin, what steps to take and in what order..
Any links to videos etc.. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.
attached are the pics I have so far. It's in rough shape, I think..... I don't really know.
It doesn't have any holes in the hull so I guess that's better than a sinking boat...

**Admin, if this needs to be relocate, please do so...

Attachments

• scarab1.jpg
    scarab1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
  • scarab2.jpg
    scarab2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • scarab3.jpg
    scarab3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • scarab4.jpg
    scarab4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
Cool.. I built one of those MANY years ago. I would join the hull and deck first. Use Polyester resin and q cells to do this..

Take as much time as needed to get it straight too..

Grim

Hi, first custom boat, 2nd post on the forum. I recently purchased a 90% complete kit
Dumas Scarab 45"
- Hull and Deck (separate pieces)
- Some wood interior, crossbeams and supports I think.

Need some guidance on where to begin, what steps to take and in what order..
Any links to videos etc.. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.
attached are the pics I have so far. It's in rough shape, I think..... I don't really know.
It doesn't have any holes in the hull so I guess that's better than a sinking boat...

**Admin, if this needs to be relocate, please do so...
Hey Vinny:

First of all, I don't believe Dumas ever produced a version of the Scarab model with the hull and deck un-joined. All Scarab models shipped with hull & deck factory pre-joined.

I'm pretty sure what you have there is a Dumas, Deep Vee-60 CF, which means "Competition Fiberglass" (Model No. 1420). It is also 45" long. These are pretty cool deep vee kits.

I've attached a copy of the original Dumas Competition Deep Vee-60. Take your time and carefully read through it.

Attachments

• Dumas_DeepVee60CF-No.1420.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Put a 90/1.01 in it. I had one back in the 1980s. Had an ops 90 in it. Very stable and great running boat. I won many races with it in F mono. About 5 mph slower than the fastest boats but it handled better.

Back