Keel +chine shape ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all just spoke to a friend about keel and chine shaping on a wooden hull i sand the chine's with a slight radius and slightly round the keel and keep the edge where the transom and hull bottom meet razor sharp he claims he maintains a razor edge on the keel and a razor edge on the chine. What do the rest of the boat builder's do for the keel and chine shaping ? Regards Andris Golts.

Hi all just spoke to a friend about keel and chine shaping on a wooden hull i sand the chine's with a slight radius and slightly round the keel and keep the edge where the transom and hull bottom meet razor sharp he claims he maintains a razor edge on the keel and a razor edge on the chine. What do the rest of the boat builder's do for the keel and chine shaping ? Regards Andris Golts.
I'm no mono expert by any means but have tried both ways. With sharp keel boat tracked strait but would hook in turns (later found out that boat needed more than keel mods to fix that), with rounded keel boat hooked less but did develope chine walk as the speed went up boat would be out of control. If I was going to fix bottom again I would run sharp keel for no less than 1/3 than gradualy increase roundness closser to bow. With sharp keel boat felt planted in water and rounded keel had tendency to "hunt" / chine walk.

Back