K&B stuff

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

K&B stuff

So I need 3.5 outboard and I want K&B. Is it better to buy a new one or some used from ebay? Actually is K&B selling engines, I heard that they stoped but are selling now. Their price is 295$ for 3.5ss outboard, that is a lot of money. You can find K&B on ebay for 70$. So what to watch for if you are buying a used one. And all used where those with water cooled head, so those are the older versions. Are there any differences between water cooled and air-cooled(ss) version except hp:1.1, 1.3? ???

Re: K&B stuff

Well if you are into racing, the SS is the way to go in the stock class. The only problem is no one has received a new motor (the new company had produced) from K&B since they were sold. They say that the motors that they are producing would be available in Feb. To this point I have not heard of anyone receiving a motor from them. Our dist director did receive a new piston and sleeve from K&B last year. This was not from the old stock of parts that they receive from the buy out. It has some changes. They told him they were working on getting the rest of the motor done. This story is the same thing that I have heard for the last 3 years. Until something shows up I will not be holding my breath. If you are just looking to get some thing to play around with then the water cooled motor would be fine. Buying motors from EBAY is acrap shot. One you do not get to look the motor over other then the outside. You don't know whats been done to the motor. The bearings could be shot. Motor full of rust. Cracked case. You name it. If you don't know what you are looking for it can get really expensive. If you buy it new you know what you are getting. Some of the old K&B motors parts are hard to come by. You will not find them at K&B either.

Mike

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I beleive the older 3.5 black carb has an 11mm crank and the gold carb engine has a 13mm crank (more power) which is the same crank that the ss uses. So a a 13mm crank engine with the water cooled head will work better with a tuned pipe for cooling reasons. But the lower housing would need to be cut away to make room for the tuned pipe. But the ss has a muffler that you remove to install a pipe. I guess if you wanted to modify a 3.5 you could go with a ss and install a water cooled head and pipe. Or you could go with a gold carb engine with a ss lower housing and pipe.

my 2 cents

Alan

So now I need a simple answer.

I will buy a new motor. So is K&B 3.5ss available from K&B??? If not, is water cooled version available from them???

(I do not need it for racing, that does not exist in Croatia)

Tomy,

As of February 25th, 2003, it is not possible to purchase a K&B 3.5 of any kind from K&B. Now, that might change. Here's my suggestion, build the boat first. There are other motors that will work on the Dunlap 27. I've run the boat with Thunder Tiger and O.S. Max motors. The Thunder Tiger is actually a very nicely built motor. The K&B 3.5ss develops a little more power than either the O.S. or Thunder Tiger, but you won't be racing so that's really not an issue.

Jerry Dunlap

Hi Tomy,

Jerry makes good sense. I think you should stay away from K&B for now. The O.S. is a good choice. It,s easy to set up, parts are easy to get, you can add a header and pipe without doing metal cutting(only a few screws) or change it back to the stock set-up Let us know when you start to build. -Don

Gatty,

There's a post from earlier in the month that totally addresses your question. Check it out....

Jeffrey

Regarding the O.S. 21 OB:

I asked one of the product development managers I deal with at Great Planes about the O.S. 21 Outboard. He had not heard about the motor being discontinued, but he is not involved with the O.S. motors. He was going to check out the situation and let me know. That was last week and I haven't heard anything.

Jerry Dunlap

So great. Yesterday I visited osengines site and decided to buy O.S. .21 XM outboard. Visited tower hobbies and the engine is discontinued. Yeah - from 1000000000 model boats I´m going to to build the one which does not have suitable engine. WHAT TO DO???(as I understand it neider K&B or O.S. are available - right?)

Mike

Well if you are into racing, the SS is the way to go in the stock class.

I beg to differ..lol

Grim

That's no big deal. Be smart and buy a Thunder Tiger. I heard they are ultra-steady running. If you want to modify it, someone did a big write up on how that's done. You don't have to worry about getting an engine, it's just you can't get the engine you really want.

Ok Mike

I take you on with your water cooled unpiped motor any day. Did you miss the point of it being stock?

Mike

Using Thunder Tiger 3.5 outboard & Dunlap 27 can I get 40 Mph???(Thunder weights much more than K&B so extra weight is needed to balance the hull and motor has less hp than K& B)

Is that with non modified engine and with how many nitro in the fuel?

(can I go faster with Thunder Tiger)

40 mph is possible with a stock motor and 45% - 55%

nitro fuel. I think you would be better just running the motor stock. Just my opinion, however.

Jerry D.

Ok, I have no choice I will go for Thunder Tiger. But one(or more than one) question. What about bearings, I have read they are realy poor and can break easily and destroy engine? ???

(Jerry anything new about O.S.?)

Latest posts

Back