• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

K&B outboard for sale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrcbud

For sale is a k&b outboard 3.5. I'm trying to raise funds for a gas deep Vee. The engine is used. A friend of mine gave it to me but I have no use for it. Let me know.

For sale is a k&b outboard 3.5. I'm trying to raise funds for a gas deep Vee. The engine is used. A friend of mine gave it to me but I have no use for it. Let me know.

What model K&B is it...8906, 8907, 8935 or 8950? Is it a "late" model with the .765 sleeve OD and 13mm crank? If so, how about taking some pics and sending them to me at [email protected] Also...how "used" is it...good compression/bearings? What are you looking for money-wise? Let me know.

Pete

To be honest to your questions I don't know what model it is. Only because I know nothing about outboards. It feels like it has good compression. When my wife gets off work I'll have the camera so I'll send you pics. Like I said I'm just trying to raise funds for a gas deep v. I have no idea as to what a fare price would be for outboards. :blink: I'll see about sending you pics.

To be honest to your questions I don't know what model it is. Only because I know nothing about outboards. It feels like it has good compression. When my wife gets off work I'll have the camera so I'll send you pics. Like I said I'm just trying to raise funds for a gas deep v. I have no idea as to what a fare price would be for outboards. :blink: I'll see about sending you pics.

If you can send some pics that would be great. That would help me for sure, but even with the pics, I won't be able to tell if it's a "late" model K&B, as you have to either know the actual model number like 8906, 8907, 8935 or 8950 or you have to measure the piston sleeve to determine if it's a late model design. To be honest with you, I am only interested in the late model engines with the .765 piston sleeve OD and 13mm crankshaft. I don't have any need for the older 8906 engines with the .750 sleeve OD and 12mm cranks. Most all of the 8907's were the late models and for sure the 8935 and 8950's are late models. I wish there were some way to determine this, as I don't know if I want to take a chance on buying something that I have no use for.

Price-wise you can see if you look a little further into the "For Sale" forum that there were 2 K&B 3.5 outboard engines sales recently.....one went for $100, and it was a freshly rebuilt engine. The other was a sale for 2 engines, both were stock but in good condition. They went for $120 for both engines or $60 each.

Let me know what you if you have any other way to determine the model of the engine. Can you ask the guy you got it from?

Anyway, I am interested if it's a late model engine. Do you have any idea of what you'd want for it?

If you can, please do send the pics. Lets at least take a look okay?

Pete

pete- somewhere on the mecoa site was info on when they went to 13mm. not the early/late bs. this was the serial # break point. i looked, but can't find it anymore. actually, i have looked a few times in the past few months. you might try their tech support on line, maybe they have that info. i've seen it, i know it exists, was too dumb to write it down or print it out :unsure: . not all 12's are small sleeve, later are the larger diameter. they can be updated to 13 mm. not very cost effective, unless the get the donor real cheap. takes crank, front housing, both crank bearings, and gaskets. that and a late 12/current 13 piston&sleeve (might be in it already), and it's a late model. without p&s, it still costs about $80 in parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really a crap shoot as to what exactly it has, but a picture is worth a thousand words, if you can post the picture here, we should be able to get you and idea of what you have. K&B had MANY variations on the outboards over the years. If you cant post it, send it to my email and I will get it on here.

[email protected]

~James

Pete I hate to correct you but I was the buyer of the two K&B's and paid $125.00 not $120.00. But if you feel I should have paid $120.00 please send me the $5.00 . thanks brian

If you can send some pics that would be great. That would help me for sure, but even with the pics, I won't be able to tell if it's a "late" model K&B, as you have to either know the actual model number like 8906, 8907, 8935 or 8950 or you have to measure the piston sleeve to determine if it's a late model design. To be honest with you, I am only interested in the late model engines with the .765 piston sleeve OD and 13mm crankshaft. I don't have any need for the older 8906 engines with the .750 sleeve OD and 12mm cranks. Most all of the 8907's were the late models and for sure the 8935 and 8950's are late models. I wish there were some way to determine this, as I don't know if I want to take a chance on buying something that I have no use for.

Price-wise you can see if you look a little further into the "For Sale" forum that there were 2 K&B 3.5 outboard engines sales recently.....one went for $100, and it was a freshly rebuilt engine. The other was a sale for 2 engines, both were stock but in good condition. They went for $120 for both engines or $60 each.

Let me know what you if you have any other way to determine the model of the engine. Can you ask the guy you got it from?

Anyway, I am interested if it's a late model engine. Do you have any idea of what you'd want for it?

Pete

Does 9335 mean anything? Oh it also comes with an adjustable mount. I'm trying to get pics soon.

Thanks

Pete I hate to correct you but I was the buyer of the two K&B's and paid $125.00 not $120.00. But if you feel I should have paid $120.00 please send me the $5.00 . thanks brian

Pete

Okay call me a liar for $5.00! I would swear that I saw the post saying $120 for both, but who cares?! You got a great deal. You want to sell the 2 engines for $125...if so, let me know. I'll buy them right now.

Pete

[email protected]

pete- somewhere on the mecoa site was info on when they went to 13mm. not the early/late bs. this was the serial # break point. i looked, but can't find it anymore. actually, i have looked a few times in the past few months. you might try their tech support on line, maybe they have that info. i've seen it, i know it exists, was too dumb to write it down or print it out :unsure: . not all 12's are small sleeve, later are the larger diameter. they can be updated to 13 mm. not very cost effective, unless the get the donor real cheap. takes crank, front housing, both crank bearings, and gaskets. that and a late 12/current 13 piston&sleeve (might be in it already), and it's a late model. without p&s, it still costs about $80 in parts.
Robin, Mecoa Tech Support is now telling me that ALL 8907's are "late model" engines. Interesting. I didn't know that. I knew that the 8935/8950's were for sure the late model engines, but I did not know that all of the 8907's were.

Does 9335 mean anything? Oh it also comes with an adjustable mount. I'm trying to get pics soon.Thanks

Sorry but the "9335" means nothing to me. If you have any way to determine if it's an 8906 or 8907 engine model that would be all I need in order to convince me to make an offer.

Let me ask you this...does the prop shaft SCREW IN or is it CLAMPED IN to the lower unit? You can easily determine that by seeing if you can unscrew it...make sure you attempt to do that by unscrewing "clockwise" not "counter-clockwise" like you would normally unscrew something. It's "left handed" threads. Let me know what happens there.

Brian, here's the post I saw where I got that you paid $120. the other $5 you're referring to must have been for shipping.

I sent you am e mail. I will take them. thanks Brian

QUOTE(Wesleys Custom Graphics @ Jul 6 2007, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Radioactive @ Jul 6 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Wanted stock 3.5 K&B outboard in good condition.

Thanks,

Dusty

I have 2. Both are in excellent shape. 1 has been polished. Both are stock. $$120 for both + shipping

Pete

no I think I will keep the ones I got, they are in great shape.

Pete

Okay call me a liar for $5.00! I would swear that I saw the post saying $120 for both, but who cares?! You got a great deal. You want to sell the 2 engines for $125...if so, let me know. I'll buy them right now.

Pete

[email protected]

Robin, Mecoa Tech Support is now telling me that ALL 8907's are "late model" engines. Interesting. I didn't know that. I knew that the 8935/8950's were for sure the late model engines, but I did not know that all of the 8907's were.
that is correct. 8907 is 13mm, and 8906 is 12mm. those #'s don't appear on the motor, though. the info i saw was related to the serial # stamped into the left mount lug. it told you the exact serial #'s when the change was made. 12mm motors had MANY variations. different cyl. outside diameter, different porting, ex. throttle/ 2 different carbs, and the lower/prop shaft change. the last of the 12's with the late (same as current "standard timing" cyl.) p&s, and black carb aren't a lot slower than an 8907, imo. i have run both on the same boat, on the same day, and saw less than 2 mph differance. for racing, that can be a lot, but for fun, it's nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about $30.00 plus S&H. Sorry haven't got pics yet. I've been busy getting ready to go in the Coast Guard. I know excuses, but I've been real busy. I'll be moving to Port Angeles, Washington

What about $30.00 plus S&H. Sorry haven't got pics yet. I've been busy getting ready to go in the Coast Guard. I know excuses, but I've been real busy. I'll be moving to Port Angeles, Washington
Sold... send me a PM with your details and will send you a PM with mine so you can get a cost on shipping....

thanks

Marc

Back