K&B 7.5

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOTOboat

Hi Guys,

I'm currently considering purchasing a K&B 7.5 8703 from my LHS. He has it new (Still wrapped) for $375 Cnd.

I live in Canada and seem to keep getting horror stories about getting parts for K&B out of California.

Can you comment on parts availability and the quality of this model?

VS the 7510 SEMI-PRO or 7550 PRO which I assume are newer Models.

Also this one has AIR cooled head, are not the Water Cooled model better (Longevity?)

MOTOboat

Gary Preusse at G&M Models is a good source for K&B parts.

I'm not familar with K&B's numbering, but that sounds like the K&B 7.5ss gold head. I've seen several of these engines run pretty strong. But, the the K&B 7.5 Pro was released shortly after the 7.5 gold head air cooled.

JD

The K&B 7.5 pro red head is pretty much the weapon of choice in the namba 7.5 stock class. But parts can be tough to find and the motor is known for breaking cranks when you run them hard. Greg

Yes it is the air cooled gold head

Any comments on the Air cooled vs Water cooled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Air cooled vs water; Have not had any problems with cooling on the air cooled K&Bs. The only gold head ss that has been running up here is a strong motor and was good enough to win a district race last year. But I personally think the red head is a stronger motor and remember we are talking STOCK class. So we buy what we think is strongest in stock form. If you are going to pipe it then thats a whole new topic. Good luck Greg

Talking about Red heads and Gold heads... :rolleyes: What type of Temperatures should we be watching for wether it's water or air cooled. Engine performance probably depends of Temp range ?? Thanx Gaz

Sorry to jump on the thread...

I had a red head pro

It has also broken the crank and destroyed

the complete engine besides the flywheel and carb

we have had a couple red head cranks break also, not a pretty sight. to each is own. When running mod, its hard to beat a well massaged 8701/8702 water cooled.

~james

Thanks I did look at the K&B site. I guess I am attempting to see if the group here had comments on the quality of the Gold head vs other 7.5.

Probally out of ignorance I was more concerned about the air cooled, sounds like as with anythng care and maintenance are key

MOTOboat

I have hit my motors with a I/R thermometer at the end of a good run and ussually find it somewhere around 120 degrees. Another good rule of thumb is your fingers say uoch to touch over 130 degrees. Both my pros and 8702 mod motors (water cooled) run about the same temp. My 8702,s are pretty modified and the problem I have with them is cracking cases at the mounting lugs. Greg

Back