K&B 45 red head

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeRcBoats

Recently I got a k&b 45 red head in another christmas giveaway. I opened it up and the crank and back plate has some corrosion on it. What is the best way to remove it, use some scotch bride or wet sand it?

When I removed the head button I didn't pay attention how it was mounted, which side should face the exhaust port, the side with 5 notches?

Tnx

K&B45 pro-1.jpg

K&B45 pro-2.jpg

K&B45 pro-3.jpg

Recently I got a k&b 45 red head in another christmas giveaway. I opened it up and the crank and back plate has some corrosion on it. What is the best way to remove it, use some scotch bride or wet sand it?

When I removed the head button I didn't pay attention how it was mounted, which side should face the exhaust port, the side with 5 notches?

Tnx
Paul.

Usually rust on the crank and PTO drive means rust on the bearings as well. Do yourself a favor, and replace the bearings while you have it apart.

Tnx
Paul.

Usually rust on the crank and PTO drive means rust on the bearings as well. Do yourself a favor, and replace the bearings while you have it apart.

+1

Couple things you can do

OMC or Yamaha engine tuner to eat the corrosion

Marvel mystery oil soak eats corrosion spin bearings in it too with wire wheel

Electrolysis clean with battery charger pos to part neg to a pice of tin put dish soap and baking soda in water but may blacken part

Dish wash scotch rite is non scratching

It looks like a piece of junk, you should just sell it to me for $200
default_smile.png

I agree with Ron, I would definitely replace all the bearings as well.

M

Tnx guys. I'll look at the bearings. Do you know what numbers they are, and are they the same as the normal k&b 45's? maybe I got some l lying around.

About the head, Terry I've only seen your design in K&b's. Was it also tried on other engines / sizes? In the other engines I have (Mac/CMB/NR, 21 to 90's) I've only the normal style head button.

Tnx guys. I'll look at the bearings. Do you know what numbers they are, and are they the same as the normal k&b 45's? maybe I got some l lying around.

About the head, Terry I've only seen your design in K&b's. Was it also tried on other engines / sizes? In the other engines I have (Mac/CMB/NR, 21 to 90's) I've only the normal style head button.
We stopped making them about 10 yrs ago so just some of the older motors left, OPS, K&B, Picco.

Think Gary might have some NR RXM 21's left, 630-279-2451.

Terry, will these NR's fit the newer engines. I've got a NR 35+ engine and would be interested to try it. What gains did you see when you were making them back in the days?

Terry, will these NR's fit the newer engines. I've got a NR 35+ engine and would be interested to try it. What gains did you see when you were making them back in the days?
Not sure, they were for the RXM "long stroke", bore was 0.629". You'd have to check.

Typically guys gained a couple mph, except the K&B21, anywhere from 5-10 was the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back