Just Saw This...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a write up about that on another forum that actually has a thread on the dangers of trying to swim after a disabled boat. That thread was started back in March 2010 and has 69 posts in it. Fortunately, less than half actually have articles posted about those that didn't survive chasing a dead boat

we had a friend swim out a few weeks ago even tho we had a kayak and one of the retrieval tugs. luckily his dad got to him in the kayak in time. def not worth swimming for a boat. stay safe everyone

I dont know.. I lost count.. of the people that died using products I was involved in the design of. It was far to many. I personally made every effort to inform the user to NEVER EVER SWIM for a boat.. but.. they did............. One time a son and dad both drown tiring to retrieve there boat as there FAMILY WATCHED ON SHORE!

yep.. that was the hardest part of the job I did not see coming.

Grim

A long time ago my boat died and I went after it. I was like 25. If my wife had not been a good swimmer I would have drowned as well. Dumb idea 💡
Never swim after anything

A long time ago my boat died and I went after it. I was like 25. If my wife had not been a good swimmer I would have drowned as well. Dumb idea 💡
Never swim after anything

What is the main reason most people die?
Hypothermia? Cramp up ? Exhaustion?

I've swam after my boats a lot of times when I was younger....I doubt I'd try it now at my age, but then again..if I had a good class 4 or 5 life jacket with me, and the water and ambient temperature wasn't too low, I'd go for it.. I grew up in south Florida, so I spent 50% of my youth in water!!

What is the main reason most people die?
Hypothermia? Cramp up ? Exhaustion?

I've swam after my boats a lot of times when I was younger....I doubt I'd try it now at my age, but then again..if I had a good class 4 or 5 life jacket with me, and the water and ambient temperature wasn't too low, I'd go for it.. I grew up in south Florida, so I spent 50% of my youth in water!!

Swimming is a lot more taxing than people realize. It's not the same as playing in a pool or floating in a lake. Without good form swimming even 100 yards be can exhausting. Folks will get exhausted, panic, and forget to float..

Last edited:
Swimming is a lot more taxing than people realize. It's not the same as playing in a pool or floating in a lake. Without good form swimming even 100 yards be can exhausting. Folks will get exhausted, panic, and forget to float..
I was a certified life guard when I was young.
It was a learning experience in learning the physical requirements to rescue a drowning person.

It is so true many people (who can swim),do not realize the physical requirements to swim 100 yards.
Like Lee mentioned-many people are recreational swimmers.
So spreed the word!
Be safe and think before you go in.
Tom

Another factor complicating swimming after a dead rc boat would be that anybody attempting to do so is probably still wearing their "street clothes". Swimming in anything other than swimming trunks, even if it is just a t shirt and shorts, is a whole lot harder.

Back