Jim Wilson's Sport 20 lowers his 6 lap heat race record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn 787

At the last race in Fremont Jim Wilson lowered his 6 lap heat race record to 1:20 and change.
gp0110-01_zps371a4572.jpg

The hull was originally built by Ray Pellerino another member of District 9. Ray actually just passed away recently after a long battle with cancer. Jim has made some changes to it from it's original config but yeah it hauls a**. Last I checked there are only three for sure, maybe four of these boats ever built. I have the last one Ray ever built. I bought it for my son.

I (maybe other IMPBA racers too) not sure we understand NAMBA heat racing records. How many boats are on the water when this happens?

Grim

A well deserved congratulations Mr. Jim. Just how many records have you set now? I will bet it is at least twenty something. For those that do not know Mr. Jim wilson, he is one of the premier model boaters of all time. All of his boats are top notched in workmanship, looks and performance.

Mr. Jim is from the "Old School" of boaters. He is very meticulous in his preparations and testing. He may spend an entire day or more at the lake just testing one part or one area (props....pipes.....ect) , then he keeps detailed notes on the changes and all of this shows in his performance.

On top of all of this, he is a very nice guy.

I am proud to be able to call him my friend.

Charles Perdue

Grim,

The NAMBA heat racing is done on a 6-lap, 1mi. course with up to 6 boats per heat. Hope this helps.

Don

A well deserved congratulations Mr. Jim. Just how many records have you set now? I will bet it is at least twenty something. For those that do not know Mr. Jim wilson, he is one of the premier model boaters of all time. All of his boats are top notched in workmanship, looks and performance.

Mr. Jim is from the "Old School" of boaters. He is very meticulous in his preparations and testing. He may spend an entire day or more at the lake just testing one part or one area (props....pipes.....ect) , then he keeps detailed notes on the changes and all of this shows in his performance.

Charles Perdue
Very well said Mr. Charles. Ditto.

I (maybe other IMPBA racers too) not sure we understand NAMBA heat racing records. How many boats are on the water when this happens?

Grim
Namba 6lap records are set during regular contests. Lately some nitro classes are lucky to make the three boat minimum. This contest there were 3 boats in the class. Our district tries to time the first finisher in all classes. Sometimes things go awry and there is no time. Also NAMBA requires heats to be finished in less than 5 minutes, if you don't finish in 5 minutes you get a DNF, (it happens sometimes!!!) In the past some districts have been known to throw contests for the sole purpose of setting 6 lap records. Don't know if that's still legal or not. Maybe Jim was getting more HP from the fact that the lake was 50 feet lower than normal??? LOL Death Valley effect!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim
Namba 6lap records are set during regular contests. Lately some nitro classes are lucky to make the three boat minimum. This contest there were 3 boats in the class. Our district tries to time the first finisher in all classes. Sometimes things go awry and there is no time. Also NAMBA requires heats to be finished in less than 5 minutes, if you don't finish in 5 minutes you get a DNF, (it happens sometimes!!!) In the past some districts have been known to throw contests for the sole purpose of setting 6 lap records. Don't know if that's still legal or not. Maybe Jim was getting more HP from the fact that the lake was 50 feet lower than normal??? LOL Death Valley effect!
Rudy, the real reason Jim set the record is you were his pit person. ^_^ As a Sport 20 racer, that is an awesome record. As has been pointed out in previous posts, Jim definitely "pays his dues" when it comes to preparing all aspects of his model boats.

JD

Charles Perdue
Charles,

I have to totally agree with your statement. He's always helpful with advice, EXTREMELY knowledgable and I truly enjoy our talks on and off the lake. . Proud to call him a friend as well. Congrats on another milestone Jim!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

First I want to thank you and Diane for the wonderful saturday evening!

Jim is a person who gives credit where credit is due. With that been said I wanted to make sure I got the information that he shared with me this last weekend was correct before I posted, so I talked to him to make sure I got it right.

The boat is a scaled down Dave Frank sport-40. The CMB 21 has a Brad Christy Ti. rod, a Scott Bouchie piston & Scott's custom 35,000 rpm pipe. The Zoom carb by Charles Perdue has new experimental spray bar ( Jim said worked great ) and the whole package is pushed by a Mark Sholund prepped 1640 prop. Jim runs his own mix of fuel.

Jim my dear friend CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE!

Don :)

Back