JD's 24" EP Kneeler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
Hobby King is selling a very scale appearing EP outboard that looks just like a Mercury. I decided to build a 24" model of a D Stock Hydro for this engine. The motor will run on either a 3S or 4S pack. I've run the engine on another 24" "Kneeler" I'd built a few years ago. With a 3S pack it is probably running in the low 30s. With the 4S pack, in the mid 30s. The pictures of the model aren't all that great, but provide an idea of what it looks like.

The wind shield was made from a plastic wine glass. I plan to ad some trim color similar to that of the full size D Stock.

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jerry ,

thanks for this pic of your very nice boat . Gives me the inspiration to build a kneeler with the same outbord .

If you paint the boat white with the right decals you wouldn't need to cowl the motor. The whole power plant would then be scale. It would need to go faster, though. LOL

Lohring Miller

IMG_4004.jpg

PS Very nice scale model

Hobby King is selling a very scale appearing EP outboard that looks just like a Mercury. I decided to build a 24" model of a D Stock Hydro for this engine. The motor will run on either a 3S or 4S pack. I've run the engine on another 24" "Kneeler" I'd built a few years ago. With a 3S pack it is probably running in the low 30s. With the 4S pack, in the mid 30s. The pictures of the model aren't all that great, but provide an idea of what it looks like.

The wind shield was made from a plastic wine glass. I plan to ad some trim color similar to that of the full size D Stock.

JD
Hello Jerry,congratulations for this very nice 24'' kneeler. Please, you have the plans of this small boat ? Thanks and Regards. Giuseppe - Italy

JD
Hello Jerry,congratulations for this very nice 24'' kneeler. Please, you have the plans of this small boat ? Thanks and Regards. Giuseppe - Italy

Hi Giuseppe,

I am working on plans. However, with all the holiday things going on it might be sometime in January.

Jerry

JD

Hi Giuseppe,

I am working on plans. However, with all the holiday things going on it might be sometime in January.

Jerry
Ok Jerry, i ask you this information in January. Thanks and also Marry Christmas and Happy New Year. Giuseppe - Italy

We experienced a break between rain storms this afternoon and I tested the new boat. The good news is the boat works fine. The bad news is the shaft broke and spit the stub shaft and prop out of the lower unit. More bad news is replacement shafts are on back order. In checking Hobby King, there is a better built EP motor that I've ordered. The product # is 19400006. I did get a couple of nice pictures of the boat.

JD

Great looking boats Jerry. I'm still running my crackerbox from your plans from years ago.

I am in process of building the 34 in. kneeler-(Blackwell racing boats- Redtail). I'm looking for a suitable electric outboard to power this hull. I've looked at several outboards, but am 100% new to electrics. I have extensive experience with R/C large scale gasoline powered hulls for many years. I race, and play a lot. I am aware of the extensive learning curve ahead of me with electrics. I'm hoping to further my education, and not waste large amounts of money learning. Fellow boaters with electric experience will be valued sources of info.I like the scale appearence of the cowled motors, but am open to suggestion. The recommendation for powering this hull is a 3.5 nitro O/B engine. My goal is to find an electric equivilent for fun running- not racing. I race a full scale version of this hull (APBA 302SSH class) which may help. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Love your work Jerry, nice boat!

Charles as for converting to FE for your Blackwell I will share what I have seen with an ML Kneeler I have run on nitro with an OS 21 and a 6S FE. (same boat) For my likes the OS 21 is underpowered on this hull. I also think the OS lower is too small. Going to a .45 K&B lower and more power the boat handled much better in corners. The OS ran about 40 mph and we saw high 50's with a 2 watt Hyperion 4020 outrunner that is about the same as a 40X74 or 1515 size motor.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-leo4074-combo

Cost wise I would go with a T-180 (Seaking 180) on 6S with a 1400-1600kv motor, on a K&B 45 lower. Find or make a cowl that you like for scale appearance. I used an M445 Octura and an M545 pushed us to blow over speeds. Best cheap batteries I have seen are Zippy's from Hobby King. For some reason they seem better than Turnigy and I will NEVER buy a Turnigy Nano! Just what has worked for me.

Mic

A 1521 or 40X82 1600kv motor will be quicker but may be more than you want. The smaller 40X74 will be easier on your ESC and give longer run time.

I decided to make another 3S Kneeler and reduce the length from 24" to 20". After comparing my 24" Kneeler with photos of a full size D Stock Hydro, I felt the 24" boat was too big to be a scale size for the motors I had. I ran the 20" version today and it works equally as well at the 24". I actually seemed a little faster. I'm hoping to have an opportunity later this week to test run both boats at the same time.

JD

Latest posts

Back