JAE Heat racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mamaril

OK guys I have gotten thru our first district race with both my .12 and .21 JAE's and I have a few observations to share. First a little background. I started RC boating in the early 90's and raced mainly tunnels but did dabble with a couple riggers and hydros. I then took 12 years or so off from racing and got back into it last year. The JAE's are the first Riggers that I have ever raced that I built myself which is very satisfying.I have only run my boats in testing so this first race was a real eye opener for me. So with that said here is what I learned this past weekend.

1) These boats are a hoot to run.

2) If you run hard into the turns they actually accelerate thru the corners, it seems like a sling shot effect.

3) If you have to cross another boats wake it is best to get off the throttle a bit first.What I noticed is when I had to cross over and kept it at full throttle it would raise the front of the boat up and when it came down it would bounce forcing the nose up even higher causing it to blow off. A good lifting prop may help but I am not an expert. Also getting the prop as low as possible as the JAE team suggests is a must.

4) They are both very stable in race water except for the previous observation. A wider foot print of the sponsons may make them even more stable, I will have to test it to find out.

I did end up winning both classes but I have to admit that with the .12 I did not run against any other .12 riggers, it is a .18 hydro class which any thing upto .18 can run. In the .21 class it was a race of attrition and I ended being the luckiest one out there. My boat did run very well and I think I held my own reasonably well against an experienced racer in our district who has won a few national titles and has a very fast boat. Overall It was a very positive experience and outcome for the start of the season. We'll see how the rest of the season pans out.

Thank's for reading, Jim

OK guys I have gotten thru our first district race with both my .12 and .21 JAE's and I have a few observations to share. First a little background. I started RC boating in the early 90's and raced mainly tunnels but did dabble with a couple riggers and hydros. I then took 12 years or so off from racing and got back into it last year. The JAE's are the first Riggers that I have ever raced that I built myself which is very satisfying.I have only run my boats in testing so this first race was a real eye opener for me. So with that said here is what I learned this past weekend.

1) These boats are a hoot to run.

2) If you run hard into the turns they actually accelerate thru the corners, it seems like a sling shot effect.

3) If you have to cross another boats wake it is best to get off the throttle a bit first.What I noticed is when I had to cross over and kept it at full throttle it would raise the front of the boat up and when it came down it would bounce forcing the nose up even higher causing it to blow off. A good lifting prop may help but I am not an expert. Also getting the prop as low as possible as the JAE team suggests is a must.

4) They are both very stable in race water except for the previous observation. A wider foot print of the sponsons may make them even more stable, I will have to test it to find out.

I did end up winning both classes but I have to admit that with the .12 I did not run against any other .12 riggers, it is a .18 hydro class which any thing upto .18 can run. In the .21 class it was a race of attrition and I ended being the luckiest one out there. My boat did run very well and I think I held my own reasonably well against an experienced racer in our district who has won a few national titles and has a very fast boat. Overall It was a very positive experience and outcome for the start of the season. We'll see how the rest of the season pans out.

Thank's for reading, Jim
Thanks for the post Jim! I will be racing my .21 JAE FE this year in dist. 12...good to hear your thoughts on them!

Congrats on doing so well! Just like you, I also ran boats (tunnels, Spitfire and a cat) in the 90's and got out of it for a while...just got back into it last year also!!

Good luck with the rest of the racing season!

P.S. will you be interested in making me another strut...this time for the gas JAE?

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good info Jim!!! I'll be getting my FE in the water for the first time on Friday. Can't wait!!!

Kent needs to know how the JAE handles crossing wakes because he will spending allot of time in my wake in the next few months. LOL....

Thanks for the good info Jim!!! I'll be getting my FE in the water for the first time on Friday. Can't wait!!!

Kent needs to know how the JAE handles crossing wakes because he will spending allot of time in my wake in the next few months. LOL....
That's only because I will be on the verge of putting you a lap down... :eek: :lol: ;)

-Kent

thanks for the info..Got my hull ready,its not painted yet.. waiting for all my hard wear radio eqipment and motor and tune pipe to come in this week..getting stoked up about this .12 rigger..what percentage of nitro are you guys running in them?

thanks for the info..Got my hull ready,its not painted yet.. waiting for all my hard wear radio eqipment and motor and tune pipe to come in this week..getting stoked up about this .12 rigger..what percentage of nitro are you guys running in them?
Nessa, I run 60% in all my boats they like the high nitro, You are gonna love it once you get it going.

Kent, I can make you a Gas strut but I will have to get the dimensions and change the design a bit so it has a bigger footprint on the transom.

Jerry , the pics are awesome thanks.

Jim

The JAE with the air cooled purple head is Jim's 12 rigger. The other one is his 21 rigger.

JD
Great pics Mr. Dunlap! :D Have you built one for yourself?

-Kent
I entered 8 classes at our first District 8 race last weekend w/o entering either the 18 or 21 Hydro Classes. It's much easier to take photos than build boats. :rolleyes:

JD

Heres a vid of one of our heat races, I am running in 2nd place physically but the boat in front of me cut a bouy so I am just cruising around for the win.

Here is a link to the video Jim..........

Man your boat is doing real good Jim. Nice driving also ;)

Nick

The JAE with the air cooled purple head is Jim's 12 rigger. The other one is his 21 rigger.

JD

-Kent
I entered 8 classes at our first District 8 race last weekend w/o entering either the 18 or 21 Hydro Classes. It's much easier to take photos than build boats. :rolleyes:

JD
LOL!...that's alot of entries!

Jim...no hurry whatsoever on the gas strut...just sometime in the near future would be great. Looks like the Gas JAE's are only in the production stages now anyways. Do you think you will be getting one?

-Kent

If I had only not cut the apex buoy coming to the start, that heat would of been mine. Every year we start the racing out in Marysville and every year I hit a stick and do not finish a heat. Kicked a rudder this time with no steering. Last year had a big chunk stuck to the rudder. The year before broke off the rear of the turnfin sponson with the turnfin attached. It just seems that I always start off in a hole. Oh well. Good win Jim. Now on to Duval and you are going down!!!!!!!

Mike

JD

-Kent

JD
LOL!...that's alot of entries!

Jim...no hurry whatsoever on the gas strut...just sometime in the near future would be great. Looks like the Gas JAE's are only in the production stages now anyways. Do you think you will be getting one?

-Kent
No gas for me, I'll stick with the Nitro. Yes Jerry was a very busy boy this past weekend, I had 5 entries and left one at home and it kept me busy!!!!!

I was out testing my 21 jae and it kept blowing off and or hopping in the turns it is fast but for heat racing in chop or a little wind or even crossing your own wake on lap 2 .....I am not impressed i have the boat setup per instuctione etc...and I will prolly get beat up on here but i am not that impressed....YET

Mine is built right and true and square...

Fire when ready :D

I was out testing my 21 jae and it kept blowing off and or hopping in the turns it is fast but for heat racing in chop or a little wind or even crossing your own wake on lap 2 .....I am not impressed i have the boat setup per instuctione etc...and I will prolly get beat up on here but i am not that impressed....YET

post a pic of your strut and turn fin B) :unsure:

no need to fire! the boat should not blow off.. i seen where jim mamarill had his blow off too, i have run well over 80 and NEVER blown off the water,i have also NEVER had any hop in the turns with the jae style boats..what turnfin are you using? i tried the turn fin from zippkits and it was very very lifty for me, rf sponson wouldnt stay on the water,if thats what u have you may have to work on it...what props are you guys running and what is your strut angle? also, put your boat on a table sitting on sponsons and ski, the bottom of the tub should be level to the table, if its low in the back that is no good...something is definently not right, there are lots of these boats running great out there so it is there you just need to find it...MT

I guess i am just getting frustrated .There is a race comming up in few weeks which is a22 hour drive and i have some new boats i am trying to get dialed in an may have bit off more than i can chew..

I am having issues for them too but the parts on the way should solve that...

The strut is one from jim M and non adjustable and i would like to get a degree or two neg in there and try it.

The turn fin is from Zipkit.

How would you suggest working it.

I will go and put the boat on my board and get back to you.

I have tried 1450 reduced in dia.1450 right out of the bag s/b and a h7 i can pull them all with my engine the first one seems to be the best.

Martin, my boat is 2mm aprox 1/16 lower in the rear than the frot of the tub say under the sponson area...

Latest posts

Back