JAE 21 Outboard Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yeah babby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guess what I am going to get when they become available? (evil grin)

what props have they tried so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have two mod outboards I can't run at the same time and only one tunnel I think I might have to look into one of these when they become available!!!!

oh yeah babby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guess what I am going to get when they become available? (evil grin)

what props have they tried so far?
For nitro OB...how about a 1740/3?
i 6think ron is running an abc prop, but not an h series. maybe he will share. i ran a 1445 on my sundowner, had better speeds with more traditional rigger props, 1740's were slower. i need to add rear shoes to my ob conversion, went a slightly different route on converting my ib kit.........ron & dick's boats ran very well at the wtc, gonna be a good option for us ob guys B) !! thanx, joe.

Put me on the list Mr. Petro!! I'm with Carl and David, we need to see what these do with Fast Electric power. Doug

If I was to ever do FE, it would be on a O/B Zippkit rigger. It would be hard to beat in our local Open Electric class.

Joe, please count me in for a kit. I've been considering building an outrigger for some time now. But, I've wanted to build another OB boat even more. Now that I see I can do both, at once, you've got my attention!

Here's the thread I started when I started considered building an OB mono: http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51500 But it looks like it'll be an OB hydro instead. :)

Joe, please count me in for a kit. I've been considering building an outrigger for some time now. But, I've wanted to build another OB boat even more. Now that I see I can do both, at once, you've got my attention!

Here's the thread I started when I started considered building an OB mono: http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51500 But it looks like it'll be an OB hydro instead. :)
Im glad we converted you Danny. More outboards the better.......... :)

As far as I can tell most outriggers run with the prop only halfway in the water... What effect does the cavitation plate on the outboard engine have on the prop and the boat's handling/speed?

As far as I can tell most outriggers run with the prop only halfway in the water... What effect does the cavitation plate on the outboard engine have on the prop and the boat's handling/speed?
Danny. The cavitation plate serves no purpose but to block the prop spray on an ob hydro. I trimmed mine to leave just enough to hold the water pick-up.

Yeah I want one of these. Very nice, I just love my outboards. There is a guy in our our club who runs and older outboard rigger hull with a stock OS and the first time he put it in the water it was a rocket, so I would imagine that they are fairly easy to set up. Sweet looking rigger from zippkits B)

Ron what prop where you running at the tunnel champs?

Thanks Shane
I tried several different props. The extra lifter props 1700 and JG series like we used to run on the Sundowners worked the best. My boat was a test boat and once the ski height is adjusted to lower the transom of the boat, a 1400 series prop should be perfect.

We ran the following props with the stock OS:

X440/3

X442

X445

X447

Zipp 444

The X442 and the Zipp 444 worked best. The boat seemed to like star tipped props over round tips.

The prop in the video was our $12.00 RTR 444 prop...

Joe

Here is a video we shot of one of my ZippKits JAE 21 OB Hydro runs in initial testing at our local pond. This is a brand new NovaRossi that is rich, has many more runs to go to fully break-in, and the boat is still close to 60mph!!!!!......... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/20hHhAOuCXE

Back