JAE 21 Outboard Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff, Mark I am just finishing my JAE OB and hope to have it in the water this week. Hopefully you got my tunnel props out this week and I would love to know what prop you end up figuring out for this boat. Put me in the queue as soon as you know what is working.

D

Thats great Mark. Got the first half of my previous order this week so I will be looking for the rest next week. I'm also curious on your thoughts for this OB Hydro project. Seems to be a lot of interest once the right combination is achieved. Thanks for your interest in helping and I look forward to working with you to get the maximum performance possible from this new design.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
David and Ron,

I am happy to work with you both to get this boat up and running real well.

I have both of your orders done.

Thanks For All Of Your Support,

Mark Sholund

David,

Looked at your picture album. The boat looks great. Let us know how it goes. Be sure to keep the bottom of the bullet even with the bottom of the ski on a setup board.

BTW, I saw that Convertable Mercedes in your album as well. Was that Joe Petro's special delivery vehicle????...... ;)

Yeah that was him, notice no hands on the wheel and earbuds rockin out to freebird... Some people just don't age gracefully...

Thanks, I already built my "setup" board and my engine is is dead on with the bottom of the bullet even with the ski and the engine at exactly 90 degrees to the mount. Walt Barney and I have been talking this week and he just let me know that the custom tank we designed for it is on it's way. This tank is designed to be low profile so as not to interfere with any of the pushrods or cables and provide for a low CG in the corners. It will set in the same place as the recomended tank but it will only come up about 2" leaving plenty of room for controls. It also has the pickups coming straight out the back which work nicely for the engine connection. The tank will hold up to 8.5 oz.

I have Joe Scarpino of JRS Innovations working on a stand for it.

Dave

D

I can't even afford to pay attention, much less own a 300 class !

Boat looks sweet Dave.

Joe

And how did you know I was listening to Skynyrd?

Honestly, that is my favorite group of all time. I still remember the plane crash in '77...

Joe

Joe,

You probably have BTO, LS, Doobie Brothers, Pink Floyd, and The Who on that iPod!!!.... ;)

Dave,

I am interested in one of those stands once they are done.

Looks great David :)

Hope to see more pics .

BTW my last OB Hydro was a Phoenix ........ long time ago !

Sometimes you just have to be bad!

Boat is done and loaded in the trailer. I will take it to the lake on Sunday. Here are the new pics.

** Update **

We ran the boat this morning. It was the best boat out of the barn I have had due to the simplicity of the setup. The first couple of runs were very rich yet the boat got up on plane quicky and made a impressive showing. I felt like it might be pulling a little too much prop while breaking it in so I went down a prop from a X440 to a detongued X438 and the performance was excellent. I love the ride angle on this boat and it's handling in the corners. There are a couple tuniing issued I am going to have to work out over the next few outings. In the corner it tends to push the nose down. I suspect I don't have the engine angle right (although I thought I was dead 90 degree). The instructions also provide some tips to move the turn fin to also change the ride so I wil check that too.

After propping down and leaning in the engine a few clicks the boat came alive. In fact the last run of the morning I had a little breeze the boat was smoking down the back straight when it actually blew off the water. Ever so gently the front sponsons came up in the chop and the wind caught it and the boat went over in almost slow motion.

The foam in the ski and the rear sponsons make the boat sit very nicely in the water when it is not running. So may other OB riggers I have seen will have the engine under water and sponsons pointed straight up when they are stopped.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/Hnv-dCWBeX0

Setup

OS XM VII brand new running and O'Donnel purple plug

Grim Racer 50% fuel

OS X438 detongued and some of the cupping taken out of the blade

I have a custom 8oz fuel tank from Walt Barney that was designed for this boat.

I would guess that right now with the boat still needing tweeking that this boat would be competitive in most .21 hydro classes.

Overall my opinion is the boat is just fun. I am looking forward to seeing exactly what I can squeeze out of this little gem. I will post some video later on my first run with the boat.

Dave

At Brick Pond this past weekend, Joe placed 2nd driving his Zippkit .21 O/B rigger in 20 Hydro with 10 drivers. The boat ran real good!! He was running a stock O.S. only.

A few things:

If the boat is darting, raise the engine a little (1/16). You can also pull the bottom of the fin back to tame the boat down.

You may be a little tail heavy, but we really don't know the CG limit yet.

I am running a new billet 47mm prop.

Boat looks excellent! Get that OS engine broken in!

Mine took a whole season to come around...

Joe

Another thing; Keep reducing your rudder throw until you can just make it around the bouys, then increase it 5 percent.

On my setup, that is about 22 percent right and 32 percent left.

Joe

Back