JAE 21 Outboard Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
am in the proccess of converting a kit 21 jae over to FE outboard power now.

sponsons completed now on to the tub layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 21 Outboard tub is actually a little taller than the 21FE.

Also, the way we designed it, the 21OB has 3 tape on lids, so it could be sealed.

Only one full bulkhead is used, so it would be an easy mod to open it up.

When we were drawing the prototype at the Winter Nats in Florida, Dick Loeb wanted to be able to go FE with very few mods.

We could easily supply an extra bulkhead just for FE, so no mods would be required.

Joe

21OB tub top.jpg

Joe;

I have had the spare kit now for 2 yrs. and the hatch will be a type of cowling similar to the oldAvenger riggers of Dan Wagners.

should be an intersting build to say the least. LOL

The 21 Outboard tub is actually a little taller than the 21FE.

Also, the way we designed it, the 21OB has 3 tape on lids, so it could be sealed.

Only one full bulkhead is used, so it would be an easy mod to open it up.

When we were drawing the prototype at the Winter Nats in Florida, Dick Loeb wanted to be able to go FE with very few mods.

We could easily supply an extra bulkhead just for FE, so no mods would be required.

Joe
Sounds good Joe..thanks..

One more thing...are the boom dimensions the same as the I/B JAE FE? Would be great to be able to possibly use my sponsons and just build the O/B tub...

Sponsons are the same. You will need the new tub to have the transom height you will need and the rear aux sponsons for launching and additional stern flotation for the OB when dead in the water.... ;)

ron, just a f.y.i., but my standard ib kit transom height was good for my build. got rear shoes added, just waiting for a break in this heat so i can actually enjoy testing.

ron, just a f.y.i., but my standard ib kit transom height was good for my build. got rear shoes added, just waiting for a break in this heat so i can actually enjoy testing.
Whew!.. The hot weather is here for sure Robin...

Are you using a Kaboom or OS lower?

Actually kent, i'm using a rek/irwin composite lower with the offset rudder from the old prather .21 mod engine kit.

Got my boat today from Mike Walker and it looks great! I am digesting it now and hope to have it in paint first part of next week. Things I noticed about the pre-built boat when I got it:

1) Motor mounting holes are alread drilled.

2) The front compartment has rails for the radio box but the last two bays do not however all three have custom fit covers.

3) The boat is shorter that I expected. I was thinking along the lines of my JAE21 FE.

4) Very light boat like it's FE cousin.

5) The bulkheads are already drilled for solid steering pushrods all the way to the back (some long rods).

6) There is already a servo tray setup for one standard sized servo for steering and two micro servos for throttle and mix.

7) The tub is very wide, wider than even the inboard with a ski that is about 2.5 to 3 inches wide.

This is a hot looking little boat and I suspect it is going to scream. The pictures I saw of the proto was not color painted but I think when you get a little color on this bad boy it is going to be an attractive boat.

I have contacted Walt Barney to make a custom tank for me. I think I want to make the tank wider (almost the width of the tub) and a little longer so that I can make it lower profile so it's not so close to steering rods and throttle cables. For anyone else interested I am sure he will have a pattern after making my tank.

D

david, not sure of the tub dimensions on the ob kit, but an old style villain/nemesis ss tank fit perfectly in the ib kit i converted. goes in the space i created from the rear boom tube to the old radio box bulkhead. cables fit beside it nicely, & it fits under the top, so i can tape a lid over it.

Boat is almost out of paint. Here is the funny thing about this boat. Everything is done when you get it. I put in the blind nuts (in the pre-drilled holes), drilled my holes for my turn fin and started finishing. When the boat is painted I have to drop my servos in the pre-build tray, run a couple of pushrods and cables and it's done, ready to run. This will definately be the quickest build I have ever done. A whole lot of value for a couple hundred bucks.

D

You guys that gotum are gona loveum

Got my motor back today and went to the pond. I have no pics or film went by my self

The boat dose nothing fowl

Any updates from others that are building this boat? Just curious what props everyone else is finding that are working. Maybe we can get Shoboat to take this project on and help us come up with a "killer" prop combination. Mark, any ideas????? Believe it or not, I am finding better overall success with the JG superlifter props that worked on my Sundowner OB Hydro!! I am turning a much larger prop that I attribute to the extra lift from the wider ski. The Sundowner ski is only about 1/2" wide.

Ron,

I have more coming to you this weekend.

I understand this combination is liking a lot of propeller.

I will be able to help you Ron.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Back