JAE 21 FE Oversteer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to let you know I have had good luck with a slighty modded ABC H-7, Chilli runs a 1450 and Don's Jae fe was running a prop that I believe was given to him by Kentley Porter...Don, chime in if I'm wrong...whatever he was running was hella fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Traxxas servos is struggleing to turn the T Max sitting still so if it is in your boat it is not enought for your rudder, Try a servo with at least 100 in oz it's over kill but it will turn the boat and bring the rudder back to the stright position.

Walt Barney

I ordered the 100 oz-in Futaba...also noticed that the turn-fin isn't perfectly straight and level so I will tweak that back in line as well.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

Move the rudder to the left side and use a better servo and you

Should be all set. The turnfin is causing most of your trouble.

It just takes awhile to get used to less turning coming off the

corner. Many use too much rudder throw and the boat wants to

go right. I have four 12 boats and the one with the left rudder

Is the easier boat to turn.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
How deep is your rudder, JAE boats are sensitive to the depth, mine had the same problem until I dropped the rudder about 3/8"

Let's not start re-engineering an already built up boat, the rudder is just fine on the right side. As John and I previously mentioned it is harder to "unsteer" a boat and that is where a good servo can make the difference. I am currently testing a Smocktura H-7 but the prop KP loaned me was previously the best, it is one of those "special" props from down under. Unfortunately Sunday's test session was cut short by the insert spinning inside the collet, a better collet is on the way and I may try to go out again this weekend. B)

Let's not start re-engineering an already built up boat, the rudder is just fine on the right side. As John and I previously mentioned it is harder to "unsteer" a boat and that is where a good servo can make the difference. I am currently testing a Smocktura H-7 but the prop KP loaned me was previously the best, it is one of those "special" props from down under. Unfortunately Sunday's test session was cut short by the insert spinning inside the collet, a better collet is on the way and I may try to go out again this weekend. B)
I like those ;)

Sounds to me like a servo issue

Greg
Hey, shouldnt you be in bed by this hour?? :p

i've run the traxxas 2075 on my .21 rigger , And a gas Vee hull no problems ,But it's a heavy servo ,Were running Hitec 225mg on both rudder and trottle.Try a setup board and roll a small piece of pipe to CK AoA on the rideing surface of the sponsons. they need to match I think 12 1/2 dregrees. Try sloting the rear tirnfin hole and move up/,down Try moving the rear boom tube,a 1/8 " Do one ajustment at a time- take it for a ride.bring it in and so on. I had the hardest time to dial ina .12 rigger until I found one sponson was off ,and didn't match.I built -em ,so I know who made the mistake. I',ve built over 1 1/2 dozen riggers. I had 6 zip builds going this past winter.

Sean pointed me to an article that mentioned this:

Sponson Toe-in

Having a little toe in for the front sponsons is important. I personally use 1/16” toe in on the right sponson and none on the left. What this does is make the boat track straight. There will be no pulling in of the boat under acceleration toward the center of the course. The boat should run totally neutral with a little toe in.

Has anyone experimented with toe-in?

Sean pointed me to an article that mentioned this:

Sponson Toe-in

Having a little toe in for the front sponsons is important. I personally use 1/16” toe in on the right sponson and none on the left. What this does is make the boat track straight. There will be no pulling in of the boat under acceleration toward the center of the course. The boat should run totally neutral with a little toe in.

Has anyone experimented with toe-in?
Thats from Marty Davis article. Great article at that. I think most people run between a 1/16th and 1/8th inch of toe in on the right front. I had my boat straight up last weekend, and it was pulling to the right pretty bad. I have since toed it in an 1/8 inch on the right side due to some advise, and we will see how that works out here next weekend.

Hammer, I dont have any videos. It wasnt impressive last weekend anyhow. It was just putting around. The motor is still very very tight. (Squeak on top dead center tight) so it will be a while before I actually get to see any sort of performance out of it. I have 3 new motors to break in, so it might be a long month or so for me :)

I will try and get some video up once I get some of the pinch out of it.

Latest posts

Back