JAE 21,Best type of bushes to use in strut for high rpm.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hamilton

As the title says, this will be the JAE 21 FE but with a hot set up where motor (electric) will be around 42,000 - 45,000rpm unloaded depending on motors i go with so probably in the 34000 - 36000rpm at the prop. What is the best choice of strut bushes, lead teflon or the Speedmaster style with the floating brass tube. Would the lead teflon bushes give problems at these revs & wear very quickly, your thoughts appreciated on either systems. Thanks in advance Martin.

Martin,

I can't tell any difference between both. If your Oillite bearings are short you may get, excessive wear on the shaft. rarely

Neil

Martin I'm building a Jae .45 FE with a Leopard 4282 and previous tests showed that speedmaster bushing is the right way to go with these rpm's.

Gill

Gill i was concerned with lead teflons possibly wearing rapidly or melting at these high revs so this would be my least favourite to use.Ive always made custom struts & on my small micro boats where excess friction is noticable ive used ball bearings.I also made a small Speedmaster style strut with the floating brass bush,it proved to be very simple, cheap & very reliable but i did notice going from this back & forth to ball bearings the speeds & rpm sounded & looked faster with the ball bearings.I think with the floating brass bush being quite long with a lot of surface area you get more resistance when the torque of the prop is pushing the shaft sidways in the bush. Where as ball bearings like radial loads & friction dosnt seem to increase much with side loads.Ill probably stick with ball bearings with 1 maybe 2 ball bearings at the front of the strut & deff 2 at the prop end. Martin.

Latest posts

Back