JAE 12 stripped out holes in the dowels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

How would you guys suggest fixing stripped out holes in the dowels for mounting the turn fin on the JAE 12.

I was thinking re-drill and epoxy another smaller dowl in there or fill with west and drill apilot hole and re fasten.

I have been messing with my turn fin so much I stripped them out ..everytime you take the screws out you can see wood comming out also..It will not be a problem one i find the correct fin and sweatspot .I will just epoxy the screws in place like i did for the mount.

On the sgx i'm working on there are metal inserts epoxied in the sponson.There are brass inserts for wood that screw in and take a machine srew.You can get them in any size.

Tim

How would you guys suggest fixing stripped out holes in the dowels for mounting the turn fin on the JAE 12.

I was thinking re-drill and epoxy another smaller dowl in there or fill with west and drill apilot hole and re fasten.

I have been messing with my turn fin so much I stripped them out ..everytime you take the screws out you can see wood comming out also..It will not be a problem one i find the correct fin and sweatspot .I will just epoxy the screws in place like i did for the mount.

I would advise caution, you don't want to put to much stress on the wood inserting the brass insert. Try out on the same type and thickness of wood to get a good unpressured fit then epoxy it in.

Tim

tooth pics and super glue (medium)

small bit to clean the hole, drop of glue in the hole, couple drops on the tooth picks and fill the hole. lightly tap until they bottom out . let set 10 minutes to dry, flush up by sanding or shaving smooth, redrill and re thread the holes

I would advise caution, you don't want to put to much stress on the wood inserting the brass insert. Try out on the same type and thickness of wood to get a good unpressured fit then epoxy it in.

Tim

Rick Reisinger did his with some kind of insert.. I'll try to have him post what he did..

Just mix up some 5 min epoxy and put some in the hole. Screw in the screw and let dry. The screw will come out and your good to go.

Mike

I used threaded inserts on the turn on my jae 21 and had no problems.Make sure you use the right drill bit for the size your using.Clean the inserts with a good cleaner and coat the inside dowel hole with epoxy and coat the threaded insert with epoxy and screw the insert in flush with the dowel.

Dave Roach

Just use a nut and bolt. You should only need two of those instead of the four screws that come with the kit. :p

I filled the holes with epoxy and will re-drill .I have not had giid luck with the inserts but would try again if i need to.

Has anyone considered drilling the hole all the way through and countersinking a hole on the outside of the sponson and using some blind nuts and then cover the holes on the outside with a decal to hide them or radio box Tape ???

If the holes were a bit bigger than the bolts you could seal them with epoxy to waterproof the area...HMMMMM

I filled the holes with epoxy and will re-drill .I have not had giid luck with the inserts but would try again if i need to.

Has anyone considered drilling the hole all the way through and countersinking a hole on the outside of the sponson and using some blind nuts and then cover the holes on the outside with a decal to hide them or radio box Tape ???

If the holes were a bit bigger than the bolts you could seal them with epoxy to waterproof the area...HMMMMM
check my pics on this post

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=37766&st=0&p=336644&fromsearch=1entry336644

Nick

Back