JAE .12 on/off switch placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP

Hello everyone,

My JAE .12 has been finished for some time, just haven't had the chance to run it yet. I am using a Dubro switch mount and have been contemplating mounting positions. I initially had it on the rear of the transom, but some of you mentioned that the boat sits low in the water. This has me thinking possible leak or switch failure. I moved it inside the engine compartment on the stuffing tube bulkhead. Probably paranoid and possibly over-thinking things, I am now concerned that the starter belt may move, wrap around the switch, and turn it off. I know, rare chance but that would be just my luck. Weird things like that always happen to me.

Anyway, can some of you chime in and give me your opinion on the best place for the switch?

Thanks,

JayP

On a 12 I wouldn't use a switch , I would be trying to save weight werever possible.

Tim k

Hello everyone,

My JAE .12 has been finished for some time, just haven't had the chance to run it yet. I am using a Dubro switch mount and have been contemplating mounting positions. I initially had it on the rear of the transom, but some of you mentioned that the boat sits low in the water. This has me thinking possible leak or switch failure. I moved it inside the engine compartment on the stuffing tube bulkhead. Probably paranoid and possibly over-thinking things, I am now concerned that the starter belt may move, wrap around the switch, and turn it off. I know, rare chance but that would be just my luck. Weird things like that always happen to me.

Anyway, can some of you chime in and give me your opinion on the best place for the switch?

Thanks,

JayP
Since you have the switch - that's probably the best place for it. I have just enough room for mine on my radio box lid to sit verticle. Makes it hard to tape around it due to the room avail. :rolleyes:

look on aquacraft's site. they have a waterproof switch cover that allows you to mount a slide switch on/through any surface. takes up no more room than a normal slide switch, should work well on a .12 radio box lid. also much harder to turn off accidently than a dubro style push pull mount ;) . i have used them, work well, durable & waterproof.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will look into the waterproof cover and possibly mount a switch on the radio box lid. If you had to choose though, which is a safer place for a push/pull switch, in the engine compartment or on the back of the transom?

JayP

wherever you place it, set it up so on is in. that way, if it does get hit, it won't get turned off B) . transom is prolly better, no belt issues.

wherever you place it, set it up so on is in. that way, if it does get hit, it won't get turned off B) . transom is prolly better, no belt issues.

ive always setup mine so that forward was on.... so if you hit something the impact wont turn it off. ive seen it happen!

ive always setup mine so that forward was on.... so if you hit something the impact wont turn it off. ive seen it happen!
if you hit something that hard, off may be the least of your worries, tom :rolleyes: !

Last edited by a moderator:
Not completely on topic, but not completely off topic…

I think the magnetic reed switch is really slick, but it got me thinking about something else. How do you know that you radio system is on besides the position of a switch (push-pull, toggle, or whatever)? I think it would be really slick if you had an led of some sort to identify if you have power to a RX or not. I know the new 2.4 stuff has an led on the RX itself, but that is only good if you use a clear radio box lid.

Anyone put an LED in line to light up when your radio system is powered on?

I think the magnetic reed switch is really slick, but it got me thinking about something else. How do you know that you radio system is on besides the position of a switch (push-pull, toggle, or whatever)? I think it would be really slick if you had an led of some sort to identify if you have power to a RX or not. I know the new 2.4 stuff has an led on the RX itself, but that is only good if you use a clear radio box lid.

There are rx switches on ebay with led's that might work if you found a clear rubber boot for it.

www.midwestrc.com/rcproducts.htm

Try the invisi-switch. Works great and if you use a plexi-glass/lexan lid you can see the LED light.

Robert

There are rx switches on ebay with led's that might work if you found a clear rubber boot for it.
if the actual knob you slide on the ebay switch is the size & shape off most other rx switch's, the aquacraft boot i mentioned above is clear & should fit it.

What about a toggle switch?

I have a mini switch and a screw-on waterproof boot that I am hoping to use on my JAE.12 probably in the lid of the radio box.

10 switches and boots were $20.00 on fleabay.

When i had my 12 the switch was on /through the transom, top left and no problem.I like to keep the lid "switch free" so when you need to work on radio box contents you just sit the lid off to the side and it's not hanging there by wires :D

I prefer in for on so if it gets bumped on a launch it does not get turned off.

I had my radio box setup for 3rrd channel and coolant tube running through it .There was lots enough room once you get your mind around things and the weight of the switch is minimal and not really worth while to leave out.KISS is always the best route.

What about a toggle switch?

I have a mini switch and a screw-on waterproof boot that I am hoping to use on my JAE.12 probably in the lid of the radio box.

10 switches and boots were $20.00 on fleabay.

If you use a toggle switch, use a locking one. If you do not have one, then place the ON position towards the transom, in the event a shot of water hits the switch it cannot turn it off. If it is on forward, a shot of water can hit it and turn it off. Nothing good happens then.

Back