is this legal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the rule Don is refering to . It allows clubs to make rule variations depending on their area. The keyis any variation must be listed in the entry flyer so all contestants have knowledge of the variation prior to entring the race.

“Sanctioned races will be run in accordance with all the rules in the IMPBA Rule Book. If a club wishes to deviate from these rules, the deviations must be prominently displayed on the race entry form.”

If a club want to not allow red boats all they need to do is state that on the race flyer, that way if you have a red boat you know not to bother entering that boat or paint it a different color.

Only rules that can not be varied are the safety rules since the club's insurance would not be in effective.

Hope this helps clarify this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, then tell me why we bother with a frikkin' rule book then?? This is BS pure & simple, you can count a proposal to close this loophole! <_<

I'm all for growth & prosperity but this "just put it on the flyer" crap soley because someone or a few just don't like an established rule is just plain wrong. Technical & safety rules need to be adhered to, that's why they were created in the first place. Geez, all the fussing & argueing we have over rules to then just say "put it on the flyer" & you can ignore them?? Wrong answer folks. Consistency in a cohesive set of rules is what it's all about.

guys i talked to Jon Equi from impba and he told me if it is put in the flyer pryor to races that u say for example transom mounted struts on sport 40 can be run for this race it is legal or cutouts etc.... but it has to be on the flyer to be legal.just to let u know.
The example you cited has the potential to lead to lots of hard feelings and low attendance at a race. If a club wants to do that for their own club races, so be it, but the whole purpose of a standard set of rules across the organization is so any individual can prepare their boat according to the rules and will know that all others in attendance have done the same.

guys i wasnt trying to make anyone mad.i was looking at the whole picture of manufactures for on a club race or fun run.not a points race.dont take it as getting everyone mad or upset.

Jim, I'm new here and to answer your original question, that boat you posted about is a knock-off of the ProBoat hulls. I have seen video of it running. One person on another forum has even purchased it just to see what it was all about. The review of the boat is not good, but that can be said about alot of 1/12 scale boats. If you are looking into getting a 1/12 scale I would stick with the ProBoat line. I will tell you though that it is slow, even with a modded OS18 in it. I have one that is completely "Twisted". If your looking for the biggest bang for a few hundred dollars, go with the Miss Vegas. That is if you want a Hydro.

On another note. I am new to the hobby. More racing is being taken place by newcomers. Why? Local clubs are allowing RTRs to run. We have a few races coming up in Louisiana, and I have contacted every club here. The only thing I get told is, 3 Boats make a class. If you can get 3 boats we will make a class. I have heard a few stories about some other clubs not allowing RTRs to run because they are toys. I have not seen any clubs doing this here. Well, I have seen a few of these toys almost break the 50mph mark. Not too bad for a $300 boat.

I just think that most people aren't into the new stuff on the market. I mean 1 CD even had to ask what RTR was. He didn't know people were even racing them.

I like my "Toy" boats. They don't take up much room, I don't spend countless hours building, if I crash it, I'm only out $300 instead of $1500.

Plus think of it as a safety is when allowing a newcomer into you club. Do you really want them doing 50-60mph in a $1500 boat knowing that they have no experience with boats at all? To me 30mph is a good starting speed.

My 2 cents.

ok, firstly this may have gotten a little out of hand, i just saw a boat on ebay and was curious if it was a legal hull, i have found my anser so i thank all of you. i dont think that each club should have there own rules, even if its on there flyer. i have one more small question though. i was alwase tought that you take the prop and turn fin of, lay the boat on a flat surface, and the points that touch the surface deterimen how many points there are in the boat. the rear ride pads are out of the water on plane so isnt it a tree point hydro? wats all the fuss with these ride pads? on plane there not even in the water?

thanx

jim

Jim in reply to your question you were taught correctly but it's the points touching the table that count not whats touching the water while it's on plane to determine the number of ponits the hydro has. Andy Brown explained that a long time ago to the board while he was the IMPBA Hydro technical director.

ok, firstly this may have gotten a little out of hand, i just saw a boat on ebay and was curious if it was a legal hull, i have found my anser so i thank all of you. i dont think that each club should have there own rules, even if its on there flyer. i have one more small question though. i was alwase tought that you take the prop and turn fin of, lay the boat on a flat surface, and the points that touch the surface deterimen how many points there are in the boat. the rear ride pads are out of the water on plane so isnt it a tree point hydro? wats all the fuss with these ride pads? on plane there not even in the water?

thanx

jim

Jim in reply to your question you were taught correctly but it's the points touching the table that count not whats touching the water while it's on plane to determine the number of ponits the hydro has. Andy Brown explained that a long time ago to the board while he was the IMPBA Hydro technical director.

thanx

jim
Bill does that mean the boat in the photos I posted would be legal since it would have 3 points touching the table? The shoe being the 3rd point?

the rear ride pads are out of the water on plane so isnt it a three point hydro? whats all the fuss with these ride pads? on plane there not even in the water?
Someone give this man a cigar! This has been my arguement all along about rear pads in the sport hydro class. They are not sponsons, only serve to aid in the boat getting up on plane & offer no real performance advantage. A simple fix would be to limit the distance they can be from bottom, say 50% of strut depth as an example.

Bill does that mean the boat in the photos I posted would be legal since it would have 3 points touching the table? The shoe being the 3rd point?
Oh this is gonna get good. Since it is stated in the rulebook that the prop is not the 3rd point of suspension then it must be the strut right? Well if that's the case there is no such thing as a 4 point hydro as listed in this same rulebook. If the 3rd point is not the strut then what is it? The sport 20 & sport 40 classes say zero in regards to a center shoe & allow a strut width of up to 9/16"!!! Has anyone stopped to think what a 9/16" wide strut can do for you on a little sport 20 or 40??? I'll give you a hint ... a center shoe on a 90SGX is not that wide!!

this might seem like a dumb question.could there be a special class designated to sport 20 and sport 40 with all the hull manufactures out there.with new people coming into the sport.people buying boats off of ebay and then find out when they go to race there not legal and stuck with that boat.i have only been in boat racing for 2 years.there is some differnt

hulls i would like to run.but they are not legal.im not saying change the class.make a special class for those hulls.

I know this is getting off topic but it says in one instance.. the strut must be a max of 3 inch long.. then it says it can be no longer than 3 inches from the transom to the drive dog??? so which is it..

chris

this might seem like a dumb question.could there be a special class designated to sport 20 and sport 40 with all the hull manufactures out there.with new people coming into the sport.people buying boats off of ebay and then find out when they go to race there not legal and stuck with that boat.i have only been in boat racing for 2 years.there is some differnthulls i would like to run.but they are not legal.im not saying change the class.make a special class for those hulls.
THere are classes for anything already. mono or hydro and all motor sizes.

If someone is wanting to race they can do it, they will not win a heat but they can race.

Someone shows up with a 60 powered hydrofoil thingy and wants to race it would go into the 60 E or C hydro class

If there are guys in an area with the same type boat the club could run a special class for them if they want to do that.

What people buy to play with is not what they will go out and win races with, so if they are serious about boat racing they will get a boat that is competitive.

That is part of the hobby there will always be starter boats and upgrades to that boat or getting into better boats.

Latest posts

Back