is this legal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw this boat on ebay, and was wondering if it was a legal sport 20? http://cgi.ebay.com/New-R-C-Miss-Budweiser...1QQcmdZViewItem
Not for IMPBA. It appears to have rear shoes (ride pads) like the real boat does. Unfortunately rear ride pads are not legal in any of the sport classes. It is for this same reason that anyone who has purchased a Bud/LLumar ProBoat gasser has no class to run it in the IMPBA. Nothing like telling a potential new member he just wasted $1200. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts exactly

Have a look at the pics in the post about the UL-5 rebuild

Vented hull!!!!!! and we are all, both IMPBA & NAMBA stuck in the past.

should'nt we be able to build/run models of "todays" boats?

Yeh, I know, someone is going to say, so write up a proposal, and submit it Rick????

Yeh right, not me!!

Rick

My thoughts exactly
Have a look at the pics in the post about the UL-5 rebuild

Vented hull!!!!!! and we are all, both IMPBA & NAMBA stuck in the past.

should'nt we be able to build/run models of "todays" boats?
You can, in scale.

The nice thing about maintaining some level of consistency year to year in what's allowed in the sport classes, rather than Jonsing after every unlimited hull innovation, is that hull designs can stay competitive year to year rather than forcing people to spend extra money upgrading if they want to stay in the hunt for points.

i understand that, however isnt this discourging to new boaters? if we are not attracting new boaters how much longer do you think this hobby will last?also do not round nose hydro's beat the turbines in scale? if thats true how valid is you're statement?

thanx

jim

i understand that, however isnt this discourging to new boaters? if we are not attracting new boaters how much longer do you think this hobby will last?also do not round nose hydro's beat the turbines in scale? if thats true how valid is you're statement?
thanx

jim Jim the boat you are looking at is pretty far across the pond. A lot of local rules could let this boat run,but at a national level its not allowed. If more boats like this start showing up someone should make a proposal but not until numbers warrant it Mike

I believe that the original intent of the sport hydro classes was to replicate hulls of the past and present.... without the extra labor involved with duplicating a full size unlimited... paint job etc. However for a period of time, all you saw in the sport 40 class for instance was hydros with turbine stacks on them... that has changed a bit thanks to some folks that are aware that there were thousansds of beautiful limited inboard hydros that exsisted back in the day and today also.....its a shame that we are all so obessed with winning that we cant even have a coupla classes for the sake of the design and craftsmanship that went into our full size counterparts.....Im not sure that a sport hydro class is the best choice for a new boater, but we certainly need em.... as much as i love old shovel nose hydros, I think that most of the time you would find out that if one wins a race its probably because the other boats have problems..technology is technology even with model race boats!

quote name='jim_johnson' date='May 15 2007, 09:53 AM' post='191237']

thanx

jim

i understand that, however isnt this discourging to new boaters? if we are not attracting new boaters how much longer do you think this hobby will last?
IMO, the solution to the problem is not changing classes like Sport 20 to accommodate the whims of manufacturers who don't read the rules and then build boats that don't fit the specs for a specific class.

While it may seem easy to change the rules to allow this boat to fit in, such changes then open the door to more creative thinking. What then happens when someone uses the new rules in a way that they have a killer boat that's so good that all of the existing hulls are obsolete? Is this good, or bad, for the class in general? Should people who have been running the class for years be forced to upgrade to a new design that was only possible due to a rule change? How many of them will decide that it's not worth the expen$e and hassle, and either switch to a new class, or get out of racing?

The alternative, that's being worked on by many people, is to build rules for RTR boats such as these. These rules focus less on the technical aspects of the hull designs and instead just focus on letting mass produced boats run against boats of similar performance levels.

"IMO, the solution to the problem is not changing classes like Sport 20 to accommodate the whims of manufacturers who don't read the rules and then build boats that don't fit the specs for a specific class. "

i think you will find that us racers is such a small percentage of the people that buy a boat like this that are "rules" arn't even relevent. they probley have this strange idea if they make it look like the full size boat, they might find they sell more of them. i hate to say it, but i dont think there wrong. in a day of people complaning that there arnt enough options as far as hull goes it sounds pretty straing not to allow boats such as the proboats and ones like these.

thanx

jim

i understand that, however isnt this discourging to new boaters? if we are not attracting new boaters how much longer do you think this hobby will last?
IMO, the solution to the problem is not changing classes like Sport 20 to accommodate the whims of manufacturers who don't read the rules and then build boats that don't fit the specs for a specific class.

While it may seem easy to change the rules to allow this boat to fit in, such changes then open the door to more creative thinking. What then happens when someone uses the new rules in a way that they have a killer boat that's so good that all of the existing hulls are obsolete? Is this good, or bad, for the class in general? Should people who have been running the class for years be forced to upgrade to a new design that was only possible due to a rule change? How many of them will decide that it's not worth the expen$e and hassle, and either switch to a new class, or get out of racing?

The alternative, that's being worked on by many people, is to build rules for RTR boats such as these. These rules focus less on the technical aspects of the hull designs and instead just focus on letting mass produced boats run against boats of similar performance levels.
God, how I agree with that statment... all of it!! There are already enough classes in boat racing for the person who is willing to go fast at any price...as well there should be...funny thing though, there isnt as many of them as there used to be! I strongly feel that there should be classes with technical limits, but its the same old story...as soon as a class like that pops up(i.e. stock outboard for example) what started out as a possible budget class that might even get begineers interested ends up costing that begineer over a thousand dollars to even be competive!! I am all for an rtr class if will bring people back into this great hobby.. I race in sport 20,sport 40, and some other long established classes... but would race in a rtr class in a heartbeat..but i wouldnt dare run with begineers because even though im a lousy driver, Ive been playin with these things for 25 years, and that just wouldnt be fair..if a class is developed for new boaters, then keep the long time experianced racers the hell out of it! let the experianced guys have thier own class with an rtr boat.I think that would be a blast...whether people want to admit it or not, a big reason for the stale numbers in this hobby is economics.....and the complexity of the hulls and equiptment.

Thanks Bill. I'm an advocate for mixing experienced and inexperienced drivers. I think there's much that the inexperienced drivers can learn from being out there with people who know what they are doing. This is particularly true with experienced drivers who can chill a bit and have fun rather than running balls to the walls.

Some boats just don't fit the Sport rules but that doesn't mean they can't race. We do have Hydro classes that they can race in. I don't believe we need to be all things to all people.

I'd love to build this boat as a Sport 20 but as you can see it has a center shoe & the bottom is not flat. So what did I do? I got one of Phil's boats for the Sport 20 class and a rigger for 20 hydro.

hsx01.gif

hsx02.gif

Thanks Bill. I'm an advocate for mixing experienced and inexperienced drivers. I think there's much that the inexperienced drivers can learn from being out there with people who know what they are doing. This is particularly true with experienced drivers who can chill a bit and have fun rather than running balls to the walls.

That would be the ideal situation if you can get enough seasoned guys to back off of the throttle long enough to allow the new drivers to get experiance running with other boats....the pit person standing behind the new driver should also be an experianced racer..under those circumstances,EVERYONE WINS!!

That would be the ideal situation if you can get enough seasoned guys to back off of the throttle long enough to allow the new drivers to get experiance running with other boats....the pit person standing behind the new driver should also be an experianced racer..under those circumstances,EVERYONE WINS!!
Complete agreement, especially about the pit person. New people should always get an experienced pit person. Said new person should also pit for an experienced person so they can learn how it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
how do u get the rules changed for sport 20 and sport 40 classes.i have the hydro and marine twin wing bud.i know it not legal to race in impba.it is a exact scale verson but 1/10 scale size.i dont wanna step on anyones toes or start a fued.i know the rules state no cut outs.

guys i talked to Jon Equi from impba and he told me if it is put in the flyer pryor to races that u say for example transom mounted struts on sport 40 can be run for this race it is legal or cutouts etc.... but it has to be on the flyer to be legal.just to let u know.

guys i talked to Jon Equi from impba and he told me if it is put in the flyer pryor to races that u say for example transom mounted struts on sport 40 can be run for this race it is legal or cutouts etc.... but it has to be on the flyer to be legal.just to let u know.
WRONG!! This "just put it on the flyer" crap is getting WAY out of hand. WTF do we have a rulebook for?!?!? That is not John's decision to make anyway. If, and that is a BIG if that were to be the case it has to come from the IMPBA technical director.

Latest posts

Back