ira cotton chisel nose sp 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne middlemiss

starting to plan my build on the boat as i have already shaped the plug for cowl from foam.

does anyone have any insight to the performance and changes to the boat you would make to improve it & why ???? i do know its got potential as they can be a very fast boat. just looking for more insight to what others have done.

great running boat .ran them for year.i have one sport 40 boat left.i may know someone with some cowls.

Hey Wayne,

I can't help you with a Sport 40 Ira Cotton chisel nose, but I do have pics of the bottom of Ira's Scale boat. Hope they help. CHEERS !!! Bob

Still have plans for the 20 and 1/8 scale I will never part with along with a cowl for the 20. Ira was a great guy spoke to him many times during the builds and running set up.

thanks for the pics bob it is hard to find much info on the oberto boat but i seem to find more on the u-44 kawaguachi travel services version more online , i have pics of one other 1/8 scale built in aus , years ago .

Hey Wayne,

There were many of Ira's hulls running in Scale while I lived in San Diego area. I have a few pics I can share with you. CHEERS !!! Bob

[]][

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking with Roy Edenfield one of Ira buddies back in the 80's ,He told be that they had extended the hull by two inches ( 36'' - 38'' ) and that helped this hull out..Don't know if Ira changed that on his blueprints or not.. We my son and I raced against them,and they were fast boats..

Talking with Roy Edenfield one of Ira buddies back in the 80's ,He told be that they had extended the hull by two inches ( 36'' - 38'' ) and that helped this hull out..Don't know if Ira changed that on his blueprints or not.. We my son and I raced against them,and they were fast boats..
raced against roy back in the early 90's and his boats were fast and turned very well!

raced against roy back in the early 90's and his boats were fast and turned very well!
Thank's for the kind words..Those were some fun times..

bob , thankyou for posting all the photo's you have on the forum im very greatful you have done that for us all. it would be good to see all these items in a special section for reference for builders around the world that dont reside in usa.

Hey Wayne.

Looking Good, Mate!!! Seeing the hull brings back some great memories. I shall look forward to seeing her finished. CHEERS!!! Bob

thanks bob lots of work still to come, lots of pre planing for the build as i have found doing this boat, going to have to upgrade my bansaw to a laser cutter i think , the saw is getting to small for some of the boats i will be doing lots of manipulating to get this cut out!!!!! just not enough throat in it .

Hey Wayne,

Ira had a 10" Craftsman band saw - the same one I have. Big difference - he had a lot more patience than I cutting frames, etc. and did a beautiful job. all his joints fit properly, and the structure was a piece of art. He preferred this type build, I prefer WOF. OK, Ira was a wood Master Craftsman - - I'm more of a wood/foam butcher - Har, Har !!!

I have a 1/8th Scale round nose hull built from Ira's plans by Harold Dobbins. One of these light years I'll finish it and get her into the water where she belongs as Miss US 5. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back