Intrepid 20 Hydro testing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,and Marty,

That is a fine looking outrigger. As for the $215.00 5 port, the ones I have seen run in other boats ,and the two I have will run with anything Nova makes...And do it for a lot less money.
cool.gif

Larry Conrad
Yes, it is important to NOT let the price fool you...these motors are GOOD and they are inexpensive because Nova chooses to make them so. They share many of the same parts as the more expensive motors. I do think some of the differences in the expensive motors make for a better motor, but not everyone will be able to see it around the race course.

I am very happy to see you guys posting these kind of results...it is GOOD for nitro that folks know they can go FAST without spending big $$$. We are all winners when more folks enjoy running their boats!

Glenn

Bill,and Marty,

That is a fine looking outrigger. As for the $215.00 5 port, the ones I have seen run in other boats ,and the two I have will run with anything Nova makes...And do it for a lot less money.
cool.gif

Larry Conrad
Thanks Larry...its the first Nova Rossi ive ever owned....it wont be the last! I ordered a NR .12 from Glenn for a JAE 12.....after reading so many posts about the speeds that .12 hydros are going, i just had to try one! Cant wait to get it together!

Bill,and Marty,

cool.gif

Larry Conrad
Thanks Larry...its the first Nova Rossi ive ever owned....it wont be the last! I ordered a NR .12 from Glenn for a JAE 12.....after reading so many posts about the speeds that .12 hydros are going, i just had to try one! Cant wait to get it together!
They run those in the small pond :)

Norm,

I know of a few people that can make the different crank and we have tested it already.

It seems like a little more RPM out of the front exhaust configuration. Mass producing

the crank is quite expensive in a one by one order though. We have had great results with

this modification on the 28 and now working on the 12 motor.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Any pictures of a motor with that modification? It would be interesting to see...

Thanks.

Bill,and Marty,

cool.gif

Larry Conrad
You don't have to ride the short bus to get to the small pond do you?!?!? :)

Bill,and Marty,

cool.gif

Larry Conrad
You don't have to ride the short bus to get to the small pond do you?!?!? :)
Just Timmy , Glen :p

As soon as times get a little better , Im in B)

marty,

i am curious why you run such tight attack angles.. and how you keep the boat from being GLUED to the water.

chris

marty,

i am curious why you run such tight attack angles.. and how you keep the boat from being GLUED to the water.

chris

Chris:

Be careful here as attack angle is directly related to sponson width.

If you run very narrow running surfaces, you MUST run high attack angles. If you run wide running surfaces, you can run low attack angles.

The reason that I choose to run wide running surfaces and low attack angles is to make the boat handle super well in rough water.

I helped Joe Wiebelhaus with his Crapshooter and we had to use 3.6/3.8 attack angles because that boat runs very narrow sponson widths. If it were a Roadrunner, you would be using 3.0/3.2 attack angles.

So, you can see it is related to sponson width.

With the speeds that we are running, the low attack angles obviously don't hurt us for speed.

Another thing that directly relates to attack angle is the weight distribution of the boat. If the boat has a rearward cg (like the JAE and Eagle) you will have to run less sponson width or less sponson attack angle. If you run a boat with a more forward cg (Crapshooter,Roadrunner, Intrepid) you will use a wider run surface or higher attack angle.

This is a real balancing act and one in which I have arrived at the optimum specs for my preference. I know for sure, that Stu has worked MANY years refining his boats to do exactly what he wants it to do also. I have watched him keep changing little things every year since the early 80's. Eaach year, one or two LITTLE changes. That is also the way that I have refined my 20 boats. I do change more radically than Stu does and have had a few "duds".

I didn't include your boat because I don't know which type it is (rearward cg or forward cg).

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting.

thanks for the info. i will keep that in mind. hope my numbers and guess work comes out in the good on my new 20 boat.. will find out HOPEFULLY by the end of the week if the weather holds out.

thanks again

chris

Hey Marty,

You wouldn't be giving out plans for this hull would you... lol

Andrew Grenier

marty,

chris

Chris:

Be careful here as attack angle is directly related to sponson width.

If you run very narrow running surfaces, you MUST run high attack angles. If you run wide running surfaces, you can run low attack angles.

The reason that I choose to run wide running surfaces and low attack angles is to make the boat handle super well in rough water.

I helped Joe Wiebelhaus with his Crapshooter and we had to use 3.6/3.8 attack angles because that boat runs very narrow sponson widths. If it were a Roadrunner, you would be using 3.0/3.2 attack angles.

So, you can see it is related to sponson width.

With the speeds that we are running, the low attack angles obviously don't hurt us for speed.

Another thing that directly relates to attack angle is the weight distribution of the boat. If the boat has a rearward cg (like the JAE and Eagle) you will have to run less sponson width or less sponson attack angle. If you run a boat with a more forward cg (Crapshooter,Roadrunner, Intrepid) you will use a wider run surface or higher attack angle.

This is a real balancing act and one in which I have arrived at the optimum specs for my preference. I know for sure, that Stu has worked MANY years refining his boats to do exactly what he wants it to do also. I have watched him keep changing little things every year since the early 80's. Eaach year, one or two LITTLE changes. That is also the way that I have refined my 20 boats. I do change more radically than Stu does and have had a few "duds".

I didn't include your boat because I don't know which type it is (rearward cg or forward cg).

Bill:

This was one of the most enjoyable building experiences that I have had for many years.

You find a guy who builds perfectly, teach him how and the finished product is superb. Last time that I had this much boating fun with someone who really pays attention was a guy named Zaker. Also, Doerr & Hendricks have been easy to teach.

Bill has always loved building boats out of wood and has build MANY over the years. I have seen several and I must say that the craftsmanship is second to none. BUT, he always built his boats heavy to stand the test of time. I taught him how to build super light and still strong. This boat is the finished product.

Here is how the testing went. I must first say that the boath had been complete and ready for the water for 4 weeks and he patiantly waited until we could set it up togetner.

First run I put on a small 1445 prop just to see what we had. Launched perfectly and handled real well (probably about 65mph). Had a little too much turn and the trim was off. We adjusted it a little. Put on a little bigger prop and again it launched super well (now at about 70mph). Gave the radio to Bill and he drove serveral tanks of fuel. Had a bunch of new props that I wanted to test and had been waiting for. Kept adding more pitch and the boat launched super well every time. Added another new prop that I was especially interested in and it ran in the mid 70's. Decided that I wanted to drive it again and wanted to put on my very best prop. Again it launched well and the speed was at 78-80mph. HAven't shortened the pipe to optimum, so I know there is a lot left. I think I will leave it with the prop that runs mid 70's for Bill for the first race or two until he asks for more speed. At that point, I will have to drive my butt off to beat him. But, that is the best way and I can't wait to see the progress he makes. Bill already has asked me to design him a twin. We have done that and he is gathering the materials to build a new Cougar twin 67. I think he really wants to beay his buddy Tom Foley real bad. That will be a challenge with the way that Tom runs and his boat performs.

This was a memorable weekend and I enjoyed it more than I can tell.

It was also really cool to see an old friend Bob Morton, in Florida visiting .

The boat configuration is:

Intrepid 21 at a weight of 3# 11oz

Nova Rossi Inexpensive 5 port .21 engine. (Stock except for setting head clarance at .006")

OPS 3280 pipe at 3 1/4" (at least 1/4" too long)

1450 Octura prop that has toungue cut, Barr cut.

Setup: Right front sponson 3.2 degrees, Left sponson 3.0 degrees.

Ferrette Mixture Control block with OS shallow needle.

John Otto 65% fuel.

I hope that Bill will post a few pictures of the boat, since it is built so perfectly. His workmanship makes me envious.
MARTY: You mention that angle of attack is based on the CG of the boat and narrow vs wider running surfaces. You don,t mention what the actual measurement in inches is for narrow running surface vs wider. IE. Is a narrow running surface 1-1.5 inches and a wider running surface 1.5-2.5.

I conclude from your findings that a narrow running surface would never run and launch properly on a more forward cg hull like your interpid. What is the width of the running surface of the interpid? Looks like you got a combination that works exceptionally in 21 hydro. thanks for your time. Dan Mccormick NAMBA221

Bill:

This was one of the most enjoyable building experiences that I have had for many years.

You find a guy who builds perfectly, teach him how and the finished product is superb. Last time that I had this much boating fun with someone who really pays attention was a guy named Zaker. Also, Doerr & Hendricks have been easy to teach.

Bill has always loved building boats out of wood and has build MANY over the years. I have seen several and I must say that the craftsmanship is second to none. BUT, he always built his boats heavy to stand the test of time. I taught him how to build super light and still strong. This boat is the finished product.

Here is how the testing went. I must first say that the boath had been complete and ready for the water for 4 weeks and he patiantly waited until we could set it up togetner.

First run I put on a small 1445 prop just to see what we had. Launched perfectly and handled real well (probably about 65mph). Had a little too much turn and the trim was off. We adjusted it a little. Put on a little bigger prop and again it launched super well (now at about 70mph). Gave the radio to Bill and he drove serveral tanks of fuel. Had a bunch of new props that I wanted to test and had been waiting for. Kept adding more pitch and the boat launched super well every time. Added another new prop that I was especially interested in and it ran in the mid 70's. Decided that I wanted to drive it again and wanted to put on my very best prop. Again it launched well and the speed was at 78-80mph. HAven't shortened the pipe to optimum, so I know there is a lot left. I think I will leave it with the prop that runs mid 70's for Bill for the first race or two until he asks for more speed. At that point, I will have to drive my butt off to beat him. But, that is the best way and I can't wait to see the progress he makes. Bill already has asked me to design him a twin. We have done that and he is gathering the materials to build a new Cougar twin 67. I think he really wants to beay his buddy Tom Foley real bad. That will be a challenge with the way that Tom runs and his boat performs.

This was a memorable weekend and I enjoyed it more than I can tell.

It was also really cool to see an old friend Bob Morton, in Florida visiting .

The boat configuration is:

Intrepid 21 at a weight of 3# 11oz

Nova Rossi Inexpensive 5 port .21 engine. (Stock except for setting head clarance at .006")

OPS 3280 pipe at 3 1/4" (at least 1/4" too long)

1450 Octura prop that has toungue cut, Barr cut.

Setup: Right front sponson 3.2 degrees, Left sponson 3.0 degrees.

Ferrette Mixture Control block with OS shallow needle.

John Otto 65% fuel.

I hope that Bill will post a few pictures of the boat, since it is built so perfectly. His workmanship makes me envious.
MARTY: You mention that angle of attack is based on the CG of the boat and narrow vs wider running surfaces. You don,t mention what the actual measurement in inches is for narrow running surface vs wider. IE. Is a narrow running surface 1-1.5 inches and a wider running surface 1.5-2.5.

I conclude from your findings that a narrow running surface would never run and launch properly on a more forward cg hull like your interpid. What is the width of the running surface of the interpid? Looks like you got a combination that works exceptionally in 21 hydro. thanks for your time. Dan Mccormick NAMBA221
Dan:

Thenew JAE has a 1" run surface if I am correct, so that will show you the narrow way. 20 run surfaces can go as wide a 2+". I didn't say that a more forward CG hull could not use narrow sponsons. Stu's Crapshooter's are exactly that.

Here's some more pics.....
I thought I saw a speck of dust on that thing !!!!!! Wrap your reciever ...water is a terrible thing !!!!! Better watch out on the start of the first heat in two weeks ....there will be an old school black DEATH MACHINE coming WFO around the outside ...it's my only hope of beating the WINDEX INTREPID !!!!!!!!

2dvxuv.gif

I thought I saw a speck of dust on that thing !!!!!! Wrap your reciever ...water is a terrible thing !!!!! Better watch out on the start of the first heat in two weeks ....there will be an old school black DEATH MACHINE coming WFO around the outside ...it's my only hope of beating the WINDEX INTREPID !!!!!!!!

2dvxuv.gif
Oh boy... Should I hide? We have Marty, Hank, Bill, Myself, AND the Bonzi Death Machine. OOOOOF! This should be good. All I can say is if Davis puts two of those turns on us we have a LOT of work to do. Remember that last heat in Charleston :)

Very nice looking boat!

Could anyone tell me where I could buy one of those cowls? I really like the look of it.

2dvxuv.gif
Your good to go Foley....

Im thinking he aint got the sack to put her in lane one yet ;)

Its too pretty :p

Looks killer Bill, heard it runs just as well. Sweet build B)

Latest posts

Back