Intlwaters Server Upgrade?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you donate to upgrade the Intlwaters server?

• I would donate!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good idea but unable to donate

• Bad idea

• Wrong choice for the server

• I have a better idea (post or e-mail me)

• Total voters
T

TomMoorehouse

I could go on about this question forever but here is the basic idea:

Currently the intlwaters.com server hosts 5 top level domains and 6 sub domains. Intlwaters.com has by far the most traffic. Recently I have recieved a couple emails about website problems directly related to the servers performance. The current server is getting old and slowing down. I am a little concerned for it. It has been running basically non-stop for 4 years. in computer time that pretty darn long. its specs are:

model: Packard Bell s600

processor: pentium I 233mhz

memory: 64 megs

hard drive: 13 gig

So as you can see it is pretty dated.... here is what I propose replacing it with it. I know this will be a contraversial choice but it is affordable and more than 3X faster. I would have to change the operating system but that is not a problem.

I propose replacing it with a $199 Microtel PC being sold by walmart. specs:

I would post the link but it is too huge and really screws up the page: just go to www.walmart.com and it should be easy enough to find under the computer section.

model: microtel SYSMAR710 800

processor: VIA C3 800mhz

memory: 128 megs

hard drive: 10 gig

From what I can tell I could get the PC delivered for about $217 any extra donations would be used for more memory and/or a larger hard drive.

Why am I asking this? well I was not going to ask but I'd really like to see the server upgraded. I don't have any spare money currently. Currently I spend $50 a month to maintain our awesome connection. That really adds up to a lot of $$$. Other forums accept donations like Jim's RC Boat Dock. The other path is to wait a year or 2 till I get a new workstation PC and my current workstation will become the server. It is an IBM aptiva 2170-190 AMD k62 500 with 256 megs and 13 gig drive.

So what do you think? Please post or email me with comments.

Am I nuts?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

ill Donate, hopefully you are going to host our club web site when TimD gets everything all sorted,

Ill give you $20au,

just have to work out how to get it too you now.

Dale

hey twink90 ... did you already ask me about hosting??? i kinda remember something but i may have for got???? if so just let me know

tom

Tom, I can send ya some around the 1st of October,

Only thing I can think of is bumping the memory of the PB server up to 128 or 256 would make a big difference,

Your call Dude,

Gene ;D

Tom!

Do you know anyone that has this box? I never heard of it. Are you going to be at the 21 shoot out this week end? Perhaps we can talk more.

Ed Radz

I really like this site, I will do any of the following

A- Donate $20

B- Donate computer harware.

C- Host a server on a T-1

E- All of the above

MikeP

hey mikep happen to have any 72pin EDO 32 megabyte sticks lying around? the current server has 64 megs but can hold 128. so i would need 4X32 to do it.

Tom,

I looked for the 32mb 72 pin, no luck. I do have a PC with a p233 that has 2 - 128mb dimms.

It is ready to go new fan, cmos battery, power supply. Still trying to find a hard drive biggest so far is 4.3mb. I have a good sized boneyard but all the large hard drives are taken.

Mike

It is ready to go new fan, cmos battery, power supply. Still trying to find a hard drive biggest so far is 4.3mb. I have a good sized boneyard but all the large hard drives are taken.

Mike
I think I can solve this problem! ;D Tom, please email me.

Tim.