Internal stinger.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
A buddy in our club was running a gas mono at our new site and his little stinger muffler wasn't quite gettin' it, so I offered to "internalize" his pipe:

normal_Internal_stinger_001.jpg

I use a length of brass tubing with a short piece of the next larger size soldered to the end, tube should extend to about the middle of the widest part of the pipe. For 3.5cc I use 11/32" (0.312" I/D), 7.5's 13/32" (0.375" I/D), 11cc and up including 27cc gas motors 15/32" (0.437" I/D). You may need to stretch the stinger slightly, on aluminum pipes you can heat it with a torch and use increasingly bigger drill bits to work it out, or if there's enough material you can just drill it out. You can use the next smaller size tube but watch for excess motor heat in hot conditions.

normal_Internal_stinger_004.jpg

I drill a small (1/16") drain hole near where the tube meets the stinger, this way you can drain the pipe if you take a dunk or flood the engine. I like to use Locktite to hold it in and it works well if it's a close fit, others have said JB weld works if the fit is looser. This simple mod brought my 11cc rigger from around 102 dB to about 91. If I use a small stinger muffler (Muck, Prather, T-Mod etc) the result is a very quiet running boat of around 88 dB. I haven't seen any power loss or excess heat doing this since the '03 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Terry for a picture thats worth more than all the best descriptions I ever read. Question, how critical is the length inside the pipe? Someone who I respect told me he just gets it an inch or so into the converging cone and not to the exact point of transition. Any opinions here?

Mic Halbrehder

Thanks to Terry for a picture thats worth more than all the best descriptions I ever read. Question, how critical is the length inside the pipe? Someone who I respect told me he just gets it an inch or so into the converging cone and not to the exact point of transition. Any opinions here?Mic Halbrehder

Hey Mic:

Good to see you guys in E-Ville! :)

I think that's bad information, you really want the tube to start at the baffle (converging) cone or even slightly before it, "...we did find a quite noticeable drop in power with the pipe's forward end pushed up to the approximately half-way point in the baffle cone". About 3/4 down page 70 here:

<a href="http://www.chuckbunnell.com/kart/jennings/Jennings10.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.chuckbunnell.com/kart/jennings/Jennings10.pdf</a>

I'd imagine putting the tube's open end (which bleeds pressure) somewhere in the baffle cone messes with the return wave to the motor.

Terry
are you using the 12 x diameter theory for length

Greg
Guess that theory works well in "the lab" cause I haven't noticed any real difference when changing the stinger length, diameter is a different story though! :eek:
Terry,

Length does make a difference. Especially if you change it 3 or 4 inches without changing diameter to compensate.

Do some back to back testing and you will agree.

Andy

Terry

Greg
Guess that theory works well in "the lab" cause I haven't noticed any real difference when changing the stinger length, diameter is a different story though! :eek:
Terry,

Length does make a difference. Especially if you change it 3 or 4 inches without changing diameter to compensate.

Andy
Yup, I have, and I can honestly say I can see no difference as long as the diameter is the same.

The diameter's I've quoted and use are on the large size IMHO, I'd probably see the difference more if they were smaller... :p

Terry

Greg
Terry,

Andy
Yup, I have, and I can honestly say I can see no difference as long as the diameter is the same.

The diameter's I've quoted and use are on the large size IMHO, I'd probably see the difference more if they were smaller... :p

OK, gotcha!

Back