Input on removing bearing race from engine??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

Had a bearing go on an engine...and was trying to remove it. I had heard the whole heat it up in an oven for a few minutes and tap it on a board trick. When I did this, the inside race and bearing all came out, but the outside race is still in the block (this is the bearing closest to the piston rod). I tried to get it out with some snap ring pliers with no luck.

Wondering if anyone had an input on how to get the race out.

I think I have already done more damage with the snap ring pliers than the bearing did when it went...but this may come up again, so the info would be good to know.

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need more heat.

I go 350-400 deg. for about 10-15. Most of the time the bearing will fall out while it is in the oven.

-Buck-

on my k&b .21's, i heat the housing with a propane torch. this will heat the housing quicker than the bearing, causing it to expand & loosen it's hold on the bearing's outer race. heating in the oven heats both equally, & doesn't work as well, imho. to reinstall, heat the housing with the torch or oven. cold bearing should go in fairly easily. just be gentle with the torch, aluminum doesn't glow red, before it melts. don't ask me how i learned that :rolleyes: :lol: .........

Well...started at 250...then tried 350...but didnt let it in there for more than 5 minutes (probably more like 3 or 4)...

I will go try it again at 400 for 15 minutes and see what happens.

Sean

leave it in the oven for a 1/2 or so. Then tap it out. To put the new ones in, I like to put the bearings in the freezer for a few hours. Push the front one into place, then put the big on on the crank and push it in. This gets the bearing aligned with the crank when you set them in there. Mine have lasted longer since I assembled them in this manner.

Hope it helps.

on my k&b .21's, i heat the housing with a propane torch. this will heat the housing quicker than the bearing, causing it to expand & loosen it's hold on the bearing's outer race. heating in the oven heats both equally, & doesn't work as well, imho. to reinstall, heat the housing with the torch or oven. cold bearing should go in fairly easily. just be gentle with the torch, aluminum doesn't glow red, before it melts. don't ask me how i learned that :rolleyes: :lol: .........

I have to agree with Robin use a torch like a micro torch it heats the housing faster than the race and it only takes a few minutes vs a 1/2 hour plus the oven will tend to heat the whole assembly evenly and that is what you want to aviod

Gavin

I have to agree with Robin use a torch like a micro torch it heats the housing faster than the race and it only takes a few minutes vs a 1/2 hour plus the oven will tend to heat the whole assembly evenly and that is what you want to aviod

Gavin
Actually evenly heating & then letting it air cool is better than creating uneven hot spots that one can easily do with a torch. 425 in the oven for about 10 minutes then a light tap on the case always works for me. :)

Gavin
Actually evenly heating & then letting it air cool is better than creating uneven hot spots that one can easily do with a torch. 425 in the oven for about 10 minutes then a light tap on the case always works for me. :)
well Don that is true but if you have a Mechanics touch hot spots wont be a prob ;)

Gavin
well Don that is true but if you have a Mechanics touch hot spots wont be a prob ;)
I spent 18 years as a Master Mechanic 'til my knees & lower back said enough (wish I could still do it, the $$ was great). Any other comments Gavin? :p

425~450 on a toaster oven for 15 minutes. Inner bearing is usually lying in the tray when I take it out. Nice thing about toaster ovens is that they can be found at garage sales for $5, and they fit on my work bench.

425~450 on a toaster oven for 15 minutes. Inner bearing is usually lying in the tray when I take it out. Nice thing about taoster ovens is that they can be found at garage sales for $5, and they fit on my work bench.
That's a good way to keep the peace. My wife gets a bit irritated every time I "cook" an engine. :lol:

425~450 on a toaster oven for 15 minutes. Inner bearing is usually lying in the tray when I take it out. Nice thing about taoster ovens is that they can be found at garage sales for $5, and they fit on my work bench.
That's a good way to keep the peace. My wife gets a bit irritated every time I "cook" an engine. :lol:
chuck, use your brain - do it when she's not home!

Kid came home from school and thought I was heating up pizza until she looked in the toaster oven... LOL

Sean

Nah, I like irritating her!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, I like irritating her!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
better be careful, chuck. remember she cooks for you, don't want to find a booger in the stew........................................

Gavin
you're right about hot spots, don. that's why i gutted the motor out of an old shell casing tumbler. mounted a aluminum plate on the shaft. nice slow, even rotation for even heat. maybe 18 years as a master tech wasn't long enough :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: . not entirely true, i've been at it 30+ years, went to omc/johnrude factory school in '70. been an ase master tech since '92 & i still screw up more than i like...............

Back