IMPBA "F" class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don this is the question I asked It's called a parity rule Mike which I was told you also want no part of. We mix the nitro and FE classes in D12 with set of rules including parity -

6. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, any FE boats having a noticeable speed advantage over the faster nitro boats will be asked to detune their boats to ensure competitive racing. If they do not comply, they shall be disqualified from the class for the race weekend. All Open Classes are exempt from this rule.

Don I don't want to get into a big debate on this and well I think our experiment was successful for the only reason that it got boats on the water . What we found was the heavier Fe boats had a distinct handling advantage in race water , they also had the ability to crawl around the coarse, almost always recovered from any incidents, and quite simply didn't have the inherent problems associated with engine powered models.

We did have fun and it did bring boats out of the trailer but other than making it work at small club type fun runs that it just wasn't fair .

Tim
But you combine the gas with nitro which are heavier and handle race water better and have the ability to crawl around the course. I guess I'm missing something......

In our FE/nitro rules we did make it so if an FE boat had a mishap (tumble,flip, etc.) that would cause a nitro boat to stop the CD will call the FE as a dead boat. I've attached the FE/nitro rules we've been using since 2011. I'm not saying they're perfect but that are working well for us at least and getting more boaters playing together.

Oh ok I have searched the rule book till I pulled all my hair out.

Without getting this thread too sidetracked once again I feel that combining on a local level to get people running isn't a problem as many do it. With that being said there simply is no reason to screw with the National rules as we don't see the same problems at the "big" races.
default_smile.png

Agreed many dont understand the difference between the two. Andy send me of pick of what your working on, looks like you have been hanging with Frankenstein too much.

Don I don't want to get into a big debate on this and well I think our experiment was successful for the only reason that it got boats on the water . What we found was the heavier Fe boats had a distinct handling advantage in race water , they also had the ability to crawl around the coarse, almost always recovered from any incidents, and quite simply didn't have the inherent problems associated with engine powered models.

We did have fun and it did bring boats out of the trailer but other than making it work at small club type fun runs that it just wasn't fair .

Tim
But you combine the gas with nitro which are heavier and handle race water better and have the ability to crawl around the course. I guess I'm missing something......

In our FE/nitro rules we did make it so if an FE boat had a mishap (tumble,flip, etc.) that would cause a nitro boat to stop the CD will call the FE as a dead boat. I've attached the FE/nitro rules we've been using since 2011. I'm not saying they're perfect but that are working well for us at least and getting more boaters playing together.

Don you are missing something, we only combine in the OPEN classes and that includes FE, GAS and Nitro.

But I do agree 100% that at the smaller club type fun runs that if it gets boats on the water then go for it, it's all about having fun.

Tim

Cool stuff! What has F.E. & Nitro 1/8 scale have to do with my question about running Spark in F class?

So far I was told it was NOT allowed as of six years ago.

However, Six years later the rule can not be found in the rule book...as of yesterday!

So what makes it a rule?

Below are the engine rules that cover F class as of today:

Technical Standards
Engine, Motor and Hull Classifications
The
IMPBA
will herein clearly define both engine and motor classes. Any changes to either will require approval twelve (12) months prior to January 1
they are to become effective. The only exception to this is if engine classes are so realigned that a currently legal size engine or plant
becomes illegal. In this case, the change will require approval three (3) years prior to the January1 it becomes effective.

Engine/Motor Definitions and Classifications

1. Displacement
The cubic inch displacement of a power plant shall be the sum total of the displacement of all cylinders in the power
plant. The cubic inch displacement of multi-cylinder engines, two or more engines driving attached together and two or
more engines driving separate propellers will be added together to determine the total displacement and thus the class the power will
run in. To determine engine class, read calculated engine displacement to three decimal places, drop all remaining figures.

2.Internal Combustion Engine Classes

Class Cubic Inch Displacement Metric Class
A 0.000 thru 0.129 2.1 CC
B 0.130 thru 0.219 3.5 CC
C 0.220 thru 0.300 4.9 CC
D 0.301 thru 0.458 7.5 CC
E 0.459 thru 0.670 11.0 CC
F 0.671 thru 1.830 30.0 CC

Formulas: CC X .061 = CID, CID divided by .061 = CC

Note: For Large Scale Gasoline engine classes see section “I”, Large Scale Gasoline.

Nothing here about SPARK IGNITION.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have raced in IMPBA, SCTA, NHRA, ARCA, and NASCAR. If it's NOT written in the rule book, it's not a rule. You can't interpret a rule that is not in print....

For bunch that is so anal about rules you think thy would at least fallow the rule about making a rule. YA THINK?
default_rolleyes.gif

What the heck is that?

super what, bowl?

I think that is what my dog eats out of?

Chuck,

No. An on-board battery for use with a glow plug is NOT illegal. It is still a glow ignition system and NOT a spark ignition system. Don't try and read more into the rule than what is written.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Model Machine And Precision LLC
Wow.. then the 2003 B tunnel US-1 win is null and void.... The saw pass was done with the glow lighter on the plug.. just the same...Not sure Im buying it..

Grim

Chuck,

No. An on-board battery for use with a glow plug is NOT illegal. It is still a glow ignition system and NOT a spark ignition system. Don't try and read more into the rule than what is written.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Wow.. then the 2003 B tunnel US-1 win is null and void.... The saw pass was done with the glow lighter on the plug.. just the same...Not sure Im buying it..

Grim
Chuck,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Grim
On board power (ignition) to a glow plug other than the engine's own energy is allowed. Brad wrote correctly, it is not against the rules.

One side effect, those lean runs are much shorter and can be expensive.

Andy,

I think your inquiry based on the present conditions has value and warrants discussion for F Hydro and F mono; however, I do think some unintended consequences would occur.

1. A boater could enter a gas rigger, gas sport hydro, gas cat or thunderboat in the F hydro class. These are major speed differences.

2. Participation of the nitro boater could be pushed out of the class based on timing of entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back