IMPBA "F" class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the gas classes, Just for my own information Chis. Does this include Colman fulid (White gas)

Thanks in advance

Grim

Yes sir white gas is included. I think we are going to have to revisit the fuel requirements for the gas engines with all the specialty gas that is becoming available.

so the fuel you get from the local station with 10% ethanol in it is not legal?

Last edited by a moderator:
gallery_449_1096_14569.jpg
Dave you should be working on boats!!

so i am just curious..

after 11 pages of reading this where do we stand with any of this...
The IMPBA rules state that all nitro classes will run a glow plug only and only gas for fuel with gas engines. No nitro or additives.

Chris Rupley

IMPBA President
To quote the IMPBA rule book exactly for the A through F classes.

" Note: These clases will be Auto Ignition (Glow plug / Diesel) and Alternate Fuels ( Methanol / Nitro Methane) "

I do wonder how NAMBA and IMPBA "police" the Gasoline at events?

so the fuel you get from the local station with 10% ethanol in it is not legal?
Obviously legal, just confirms the difficulty in writing rules without loop holes..... Which is why reading a good rule book can be very confusing.

so i am just curious..

The IMPBA rules state that all nitro classes will run a glow plug only and only gas for fuel with gas engines. No nitro or additives.

Chris Rupley

IMPBA President

" Note: These clases will be Auto Ignition (Glow plug / Diesel) and Alternate Fuels ( Methanol / Nitro Methane) "

This use to be a hobby with HONOR and we didn't need the TOY BOAT POLICE.

All this bitching does more harm to our hobby than anyone in NAMBA or IMPBA needs.

I hope this thread gets locked down SOON...

Kevin

Andy

The same way we do it gokarting.Check it with a fuel meter for GAS.That will tell everything you what to know about the fuel

Dave

Back to building BOATS

Dang, for a second there I thought I was in the outboard forum!!!...LOL.....
default_ph34r.png
default_ph34r.png

There is a lot of great conversations going on here guys. With the right parts and timing numbers, this could be an interesting deal using engines like the tiger king on methanol and nitro. Maybe the place to start would be a one year trial specialty class??????......
default_smile.png
Only you Ron, it don't stink unless you stir it.
default_laugh.png
LOL....
default_smile.png

At the kart track where I raced, they had a "pump-a-round" system. You brought your kart full of fuel to the pre stage lane, your tank was pumped out about half way and then refilled with the mixed fuel from all the competitors. This system worked great for years. At Bonneville, you bought gas from the event supplier, and your tank was sealed by an inspector before you record attempt. Point is, there are ways to make a level playing field, it's just up to the racers and the governing body. These systems where for gas only, the fuel classes could do what they wanted....

Kevin,

The bickering and disrespect is definitely harmful to our hobby. As long as the discussions stay civil and respectful, I think these discussions can actually help our hobby. I didn't think we needed outboard police either but the stock/sport B class is closely monitored at most major races and helps to keep everyone in check. So many additives are included in pump gas today, maybe it's time for clarification in those classes as well.

The whole point of this discussion is the rule that was changed to keep spark ignition from F hydro.

This is the point that has bin side tracked.

F and X hydro I feel should be the premier classes in both organizations.

Weight and CID should be the only limiting factors.

That is what this is about.

There are single F hydro class and Twin hydro class now being run. This will leave plenty of room for those that don't want to run in F hydro.

It will open up more types of boats with out making a new class.

The last thing we need is a new class.

By defining the rules for single and twin to only glow ignition this will give every one a place in the hobby.

A few years back we pushed for a single F/X hydro class and it has taken off.

This is no different. Build it and thy will come.

so i am just curious..

Chris Rupley

IMPBA President

This use to be a hobby with HONOR and we didn't need the TOY BOAT POLICE.

All this bitching does more harm to our hobby than anyone in NAMBA or IMPBA needs.

I hope this thread gets locked down SOON...

Kevin
Kevin, I have really not seen any "bitching" in this thread. Maybe a couple of guys voicing their opinions strongly, but no bitching.

Why is there a problem with me asking this important question?

In my eyes, r/c boaters are a very honorable group.

However, The fact does remain that for every record that is set in NAMBA/IMPBA, the head is pulled off the engine and the bore and stroke is carefully checked by a tech and a witness.

John

Yes I have put a cig out in a can full of gas many times to prove a point.

love the reaction it gets.

kinda like a duck and cover you learned as a kid in school.

You know it is not like theses bigger eng will take to much nitro and come apart. Thy will fail at some point but it wont be the total nuclear melt down that all the naysayers think.

The most that will be needed is 20% to make killer power.

That will be more than enough to push any small boat to the limits of stability.

Just doing higher CR and timing with just a small amount of nitro to get the head temps up will give a great boost in power.

Ask the guys racing Go peds if thy have hade any nuclear explosions

Every one acts as this has not bin done with this kind of eng before.

Well I hate to tell you all but this is not new. It is only new to you.
. David, your last line is one of the smarter posts in this thread. "This is not new" And Ray Arden and Ben Bantam are rolling over in their graves and laughing there asses off to. In a Ben Bantam .19 engine they were testing over 500 fuel blends and on one they turned the ignition off and the engine kept running because the spark plug was destroyed and was glowing and keeping the engine running. This is how Ray Arden " father of the glow plug" came up with the idea for the glow plug and invented one in 1946. I modify heads for guys here in my hometown that race the 3 cylinder 75 horsepower class drag boats. I've helped them with running methanol and nitro on their spark ignition outboard powered boats. Don't think for one second it will "bring the hobby to the next level" . I'm not saying it can't work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back