IMPBA District 13 - First race of the year!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lamar_Huff said:
Many thanks to the SOWEGA Model Boaters for putting on a great race.  I think we ended up with over 80 boats entered...  Not bad @ all for a Grand Prix race in the middle of February.
The weather turned out to be rather nice all weekend.  Sunday was a bit windy, but aside from that 'Mother Nature' was very kind.

I was surprised by the number of Tunnel Boats @ the event.  It looks like tunnels may be making a comeback in District XIII.

All in all I had a great time and even brought home a few trophies to boot! 

Later,

Lamar

86485[/snapback]

Sounds like we've started the season off right! We should have results on the website soon with a race report to follow. If anyone took pictures at the race, please send them to me so I can get them posted on the website. The GP series moves to Charleston in three weeks. It's the last warm up before the Spring Nats and the first race for the CMB, can we get 80+ boats again??!

-Bobby

Had great time going in Georgia this weekend, had some troubled with a couple new boats, but we kinda expected it going into this race. The club did a great job as usual, look forward to seeing everyone again our race in Charleston.

roughly 35 tunnels signed up for 4 tunnel classes, yep Id have to agree with Lamar, outboards are DEFINATELY making a comeback!

~James

Hey Gang,

Results have been posted from the Feb. 19th & 20th SOWEGA Grand Prix...

Click HERE to view the results.

Later,

Lamar

Lamar_Huff said:
Hey Gang,

Later,

Lamar

86852[/snapback]

Hey Lamar,

Nice to see results but some people like me want to know what boats they drive, especially in the tunnels since they seem to be hot this year.

Thanks, Ronald -aka Moron

moron said:
Lamar_Huff said:
Hey Gang,

Later,

Lamar

86852[/snapback]

Hey Lamar,

Nice to see results but some people like me want to know what boats they drive, especially in the tunnels since they seem to be hot this year.

Thanks, Ronald -aka Moron

86857[/snapback]

Ronald,

We're working on doing that. A race report should be up by Sunday night. The CD had to go out of town this week and didn't have time to do the report before he left. We plan to have the winning hull, motor pipe & prop next to the driver's names when the results are posted in the future.

Keep checking with us!

-Bobby

Tunnelbill said:
What happen to James????  I see Don took home some WOOD.... :lol:
86898[/snapback]

Bill.

I asked him the same question today. Silence so far but he is supposed to call me tonight, so ....

John

well......

out of 10 tunnels that we brought, we had a total of three boats that had never seen the water before this, including one of my own (mod 20). It had setup issues that I chased all weekend, but it got close twoards the end.

My 40 boat had a newly built engine, that had also never seen the water. issues all weekend with that.

My stock boat(also ran this in open tunnel with the big blocks!) had a couple issues with leaning out due to a 3rd channel needle that was too small, DNF'd a few heats because of that. Got the needle straightened out, and then broke the crankcase in half, yet another DNF. last round of racing, the lower unit where the prop shaft screws in broke off during mill/pit time due to wonderful K&B casting quality, leading to a DNS. The stock boat will be the one to beat once I get the few bugs worked out. this was only its 2nd trip to the pond but it shows SERIOUS speed, lynx's dont scare me... :D

A bunch of excuses... all due to lack of time for setup and preparation. thats the ONLY thing that sucks about the south, you have almost NO winter to get the new boats built before the season starts up again! could be worse.... our ponds could be frozen ( do ponds really freeze?, that must suck! :p )

Team Ovalexpress Racing made a good start to the new year, glad to see some team members bringing home the wood. Its only gonna get better from here!

~James :D

James,

That sounds like a Good weekend racing boats. Better luck next time. How did Jimmy E. Lyxn run? I need to spend some hours at the lake also, it pays off on race day. I hope to race with you and not watch you race in V. B. if you can make it this year... Look out for the little kitty :p

Hi Tunnelbill i wound up using the race to set up boats. the stocker only was in the water for one tank full of fuel before the race. the 3.5 mod i think it is close to being right i was running a test pipe that looks great. the 7.5 blowed case and wound up using a friend's spare and had a few brain farts with the 11cc. but i still had a blast at the race and can't wait to run the next one. well i guess not spending time at the pond this winter really showed itself. see ya jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:
topfuel443 said:
well......
out of 10 tunnels that we brought, we had a total of three boats that had never seen the water before this, including one of my own (mod 20). It had setup issues that I chased all weekend, but it got close twoards the end. 

My 40 boat had a newly built engine, that had also never seen the water. issues all weekend with that.

My stock boat(also ran this in open tunnel with the big blocks!) had a couple issues with leaning out due to a 3rd channel needle that was too small, DNF'd a few heats because of that. Got the needle straightened out, and then broke the crankcase in half, yet another DNF.  last round of racing, the lower unit where the prop shaft screws in broke off during mill/pit time due to wonderful K&B casting quality, leading to a DNS.  The stock boat will be the one to beat once I get the few bugs worked out. this was only its 2nd trip to the pond but it shows SERIOUS speed, lynx's dont scare me... :D

A bunch of excuses... all due to lack of time for setup and preparation. thats the ONLY thing that sucks about the south, you have almost NO winter to get the new boats built before the season starts up again! could be worse.... our ponds could be frozen ( do ponds really freeze?, that must suck!  :p   )

Team Ovalexpress Racing made a good start to the new year, glad to see some team members bringing home the wood. Its only gonna get better from here!

~James  :D

86926[/snapback]

Hi gang

James and I got the chance to talk a little about his mod tunnel setup ( Nemesis / Nova ) and as far as we tell say the boat was OK but the handling issues i stumbled against using the Irwin Lower were the same as James ran in to.. I can not say what might be causing it but the second you slap on a K+B foot all is well....? Maybe James Irwin can shed some light on this.

James and I conclude that more time would have brought this oddity out in his setup and I had no idea he was going to use that lower.. I should have asked.

As for the ponds being froze... O yea.. 3 feet of ice is not that unusual.. You can and some people do.. Drive a Semi on a frozen lake.. NOT ME.. I have been to a few Ice races (rally cross) and have made my fair share of passes on a sled over the frozen crap but.... you would not catch me on this stuff now.

Do we have time to work on our boats..? yea but its still hard to get stuff done. No place to paint is a big one. 3 below and paint do not mix.. the basement is not a good idea either " BOOM " know what i mean...

Can anybody give us a run down on the boat and motor combos that did place well..

We will getem next time James.. Never say DIE…

ROCK ON..

Grimracer

Mike

I am in the same boat ,so to speak... I am mating the lower with a Mac..Is the lift a problem that you speak of ??? I was just wondering if you will share the info with me....before I make special flex shafts ??? Do you think taking weight off the nose will help ??

" That SOB "

Butch

waterbug said:
Mike
I am in the same boat ,so to speak... I am mating the lower with a Mac..Is the lift a problem that you speak of ???  I was just wondering if you will share the info with me....before I make special flex shafts ??? Do you think taking weight off the nose will help ??

" That SOB "

Butch

87075[/snapback]

Butch

Im sure changing the weight will not help.. we tryed to tune the lower and could not get it to run..? I wish i had an answer.. It worked great on James Villain S1..

The lift must be coming from the width of the skeg.. i just do not get it.. the rest of the lower look killer.. The flex of the skeg might be it but i would think other boats would see it too..

As soon as the water gets soft we are going to be testing all the differnt lowers we can get our hands on..

ROCK ON

Grimracer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back