I need help identifying a vintage Shovelnose Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steve,

The first K&H hull I saw was Nitro Buzz' U-29 Shanty I Scale boat in 1987. Here's a pic of Buzz and boat at '89 NAMBA Nats - Camarillo, CA. Black mail material on right side - Hint: He had a Parco's O-Ring Miss back then and was 20+ years younger. Who be that mustached wonder??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks, Bob

What does U-190 stand for? Was there ever a full sized hydro, like this one, that had the cab forward?

Last edited by a moderator:
The U 190 was his NAMBA # and like I stated this hull was modled after the Thrifway Too U 62.. Kotch was a boat builder by trade with Hochberry and there work of there hull was sec to none..I ran my hull for about 10 years and it still look like I just got it..Now it just sit,but it never be sold..It painted up as the Thrifway white with the percimon stripes..

Hey Roy,

I believe K&H also had a mold for a 1/8th Scale Thriftway Too. As I recall, Kay Knudsen ran one. I believe this is a pic of the boat at one of the Muncey Races. As my wheels are turning, I believe Mark told me that the mold was damaged and would require significant work. At 50 - 52 inches that made for one HUGE 1/8th Scale boat. Hull might be good in Classic Thunderboat. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Roy,

I believe K&H also had a mold for a 1/8th Scale Thriftway Too. As I recall, Kay Knudsen ran one. I believe this is a pic of the boat at one of the Muncey Races. As my wheels are turning, I believe Mark told me that the mold was damaged and would require significant work. At 50 - 52 inches that made for one HUGE 1/8th Scale boat. Hull might be good in Classic Thunderboat. CHEERS !!! Bob

Yeah Bob I remember him running that hull ..I would tell him you that he could put a small kid it that hull..Met him at San Deigo in the 80's and saw him at the 9 / 19 races ..

WOW GREAT THREAD I HAVE A MTO SPORT 40 HULL AND WAS WONDERING HOW THIS THING WILL RUN,AND WHAT SET UP TIPS

ANYONE CAN TELL ME ABOUT

THANKS

NORM J

Norm,

The MTO hull is a bit small in tunnel area , but is very fast when set up correct. Put boat on a flat board, strut 0 to 1 deg. neg. & deep enough to put the "front sponson" 1/16" off of the board. Thats it! With a good motor & pipe,prop it will run in the low 60s all day...

Don

"Gaday Mate

I think she's a MTO sport 40 hydro"

Hey Steve,

I agree with Brad - appears to be an MTO/K&H hull. The hull was known as K&H in Southern California before Doug DeWitte bought molds and renamed them Made To Order (MTO). I can't get your thumbnails to enlarge to see bottom details. Here's a pic of Justin Hill's 3rd Place hull at the 2010 NAMBA Nats. I don't know the dimensions of the hull, but it surely looks like yours - there were rear cab and cab forward versions. The hulls are very fast, but the hulls are narrow. Doug did a lot of work with both the Scale and SP42 round nose hulls with turn fins allowing his St. Regis to be very Stout!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

P.S. Just got the thumbnails to download, noticed the K&H Marine on afterplane, 3 piece case P-45 on exhaust throttle - - I'm thinking the boat came from Southern California (San Diego), and was built in the mid to late '80s. About confirms it is a K&H ( ? & Hockenberry) - Maybe Don Maher will chime in. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi, Bob

From the picture you attached, it looks like you may have solved my mystery. I emailed a guy here in Orange County, So. Cal that owns a business call: K&H Marine. He said he's owned the business (full sized boats) for 40 years, but had never seen or heard of this boat......but he now wants me to sell it to him! So if there was a K&H company making model boat hulls.....I would have to say that it must be the one. The K&H Marine, and the U-190 are clear coated or gel coated over, so the're there to stay. Was there ever a full sized boat made in this configuration? I'm not a model boater (not for years now) what class is U-190? Is MTO still in business?

Many thanks for your help. A gentleman by the name of Glenn Quarles, at RC Universe turned me on to this site. If I browse through this place any longer.........I'm gonna get the itch to launch this boat!!!

Thanks again, Bob

Steve

Steve, I'm glad to see you made it over here and that you got the info you were looking for!

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn

An overwhelming responce to say the least. Thank you. As I said in the begining of this thread, I not a avid R/C boater. I'm really into R/C airplanes. What do you think this boat, considering it has never been used, would sell for in the open market? This doesn't mean I'm going to sell it. It would look great in my hobby room. It just seems to be a shame to see it sit, if it would make someone else a proud owner, to own it and run it. Just curious.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you in advance to any of you that can help identify what the manufacture & age of this very nice built shovelnose hydro. I'm a airplane guy, and ended up with this beauty in a estate sale. All planes....and this! It's 39 1/2" long, with a 17 1/2" beam. It's powered by a Picco .45. The finish on this boat is just flawless. Not a scratch or a chip on it......and a mirror finish! It looks like the motor has run, but not for long, and I don't believe it has ever been in the water. The boat is fiberglass from top to bottom. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have that hull great runner. the best prop is a 1450/3.

Bob Morton

Thank you in advance to any of you that can help identify what the manufacture & age of this very nice built shovelnose hydro. I'm a airplane guy, and ended up with this beauty in a estate sale. All planes....and this! It's 39 1/2" long, with a 17 1/2" beam. It's powered by a Picco .45. The finish on this boat is just flawless. Not a scratch or a chip on it......and a mirror finish! It looks like the motor has run, but not for long, and I don't believe it has ever been in the water. The boat is fiberglass from top to bottom. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks again,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have that hull great runner. the best prop is a 1450/3.

Bob Morton

Hi, Bob

Do you have an idea what year these were manufactured & available?

Back