I don't trust my Balancer.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonSoper

Look at what my prop balancer does. It travels on the magnet. It will spin, stop & go the other way while moving on the magnet. Watch the manget & the knurled part of the shaft. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at what my prop balancer does. It travels on the magnet. It will spin, stop & go the other way while moving on the magnet. Watch the manget & the knurled part of the shaft. Any suggestions?

Looks good to me. You can send it to me if you don't like it.

When it's done spinning, it goes the other way & there's not even a prop on it.

My dubro will do the same thing if you spin it. It will do it with a prop on it to if you spin it fast. If you want to check by spinning you have to spin slow.

Bob

There are things going on that I don't even want to try and explain when you spin the shaft. The balancer is made to static balance. The heavy side falls to the bottom. You remove material from the heavy side to allow the object that is being balanced to set still in the balancer at any position. Thus meaning static.

Try sliding the 2 ends togather and seat the magnets togather so that the faces are parrallel. if that dont work try this also Mark a spot on the shaft and give it spin a couple times very slowly if it ends up in the same spot, dissassemble shake the parts in your hand for 10 seconds like yatzee dice (helps makes sure its assembled at a random position) and reassemble the cones and try it again if it is consistant you may see a pattern develop. If it always stops in the same spot the cones may be off center. is the shaft bent at all? roll on a surface plate if you have one available and look for any light under the shaft. I dont expect that the shaft at that diameter is stress relieved and ground. I suspect something in the shaft assembly is off. the cones. the shaft or the knurled lock nut. Even that lock nut runs on helix angle on the thread causing it to heel slightly off center if tight. I noticed on mine that the shaft ends were not perfectly radiused on center check that also. Hope this helps.

Mark is correct it is a static balancer

I prefer to use a shaft the prop slides on with no centers for the prop, nothing to wear out but my patience. I used one of those mag balancers for a couple years then built a jewelled balancer now I really hate props :p

Mark

If all else fails try something less magnetic like a hammer maybe a few swats with a 20 oz will help:p

If you want to get serious about it , build a jeweled prop balancer . When you get it built and are ready from some props DON'T forget the six pack .

Big diffrence in balancers and shafts

Ed

Thanks Rod

Prop_Balancer_From_RG.pdf

Attachments

• Prop_Balancer_From_RG.pdf
    83.3 KB · Views: 97
If you want to get serious about it , build a jeweled prop balancer . When you get it built and are ready from some props DON'T forget the six pack . Big diffrence in balancers and shafts

Ed

Thanks Rod

Ok Were do you get the Jewels from?

Terry

To me it looked like the balancing shaft ends need to be reground and cones aren't concentric. This woud make the balancer it self out of balance.

If you want to get serious about it , build a jeweled prop balancer . When you get it built and are ready from some props DON'T forget the six pack . Big diffrence in balancers and shafts

Ed

Thanks Rod

Ok Were do you get the Jewels from?

Terry
You will also need a "centerless ground" shaft......Jon Thibodeau has the shafts........tnrcboatracer on this forum.... ;)

Just buy an extended length drill bit and cut of the smooth part off with a cutoff wheel and make your own balancer by epoxying two razor blades edges up to a piece of wood and cut out some wood between the blades and you will have one of the best balancers you could ever use. Zero friction. Slide prop on shaft set on blades and heavy side will drop.

When it stops randomly your good. Keep it simple. Never really liked the way the cones go into the drive dog end sometimes. They don't always center and will mess up the whole balance.

Too much friction between the shaft and magnets. You should have a very small gap at one end.

You could aways buy a couple of these. They make them small enough to balance props. These two machines were $140,000.00. These are the type machines that are used to balance jet engines.

MVC_009S.JPG MVC_001S.JPG MVC_002S.JPG

MVC_008S.JPG MVC_004S.JPG MVC_007S.JPG

MVC_005S.JPG MVC_006S.JPG

MVC_005S.JPG

Don, Just look everything very closely. $20 dont get you the ultimate in balancers but will do fine if you correct the problem.

Thanks for all your input everyone. I think I'm gonna call the manufacturer because it looks like they might have an updated shaft for it.

Back