Hydrstream Venom Raceboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Jr.

Ive had a few people ask/request pictures of my raceboat. There up! These are all pics from last years races. I have joined a racing team for 2011 in which I will be using a Next Generation Racing Evinrude Etec motor for the season. Once the new motor is hung Ill get some pics up. In the pics is a Mercury 2.5L motor (Mariner Cowl) that puts out approx. 315hp. Runs around 88mph in 800ft. and have run 104.3 mph with a conservative setup. Next year, time numbers will go down for sure and mph will go up. Ive always dreamed of racing full size boats and feel like the most blessed guy in the world everytime I put the life jacket on.... Now that Ill be traveling much more with Next Generation Racing next year, I wont be RC racing as much, but Ill be at Hobart come hell or high water! :)

Larry Gempp Jr.

gallery_2493_1090_98509.jpg

gallery_2493_1090_54304.jpg

gallery_2493_1090_44754.jpg

gallery_2493_1090_37688.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Venom Larry ! My buddy Andy Driver won ODBA Lake Racer with his , very versatile hull. I have several friends with them with 280 Mercs on them . Check out this pic my buddy took on the Suwannee as I sleazed around the outside of Andy's Venom to provoke a full throttle charge from him ! Good luck racing next season .

r76uxf.jpg

Moonlighter112, thanks for the comment. Allison does make a nice boat. In an 800ft Drag I have yet to see the back of one. lol. Andy is ODBA lake racer national champion with his Venom. Smokin Joe P. Dominated the Pro Gas Class with his Venom this year at Blarneys Island, up against close cockpit single seat race boats. The Hydrostream Venom has a design advantage that Allison is afraid of admitting cause they didnt think of it first. Not trying to stir the pot, just facts. Hey Tom, did Andy sell his boat? Its sweet to say the least.

does that venom have any bad tendencies like the v-kings used to have???? the v-kings were a task to drive...chine walk bad,,,only way to get out of it was to power through it...those few seconds made driving a v-king very interesting...seen my buddy chine and got knocked out by the steering wheel...bang off onto the floor,,,good thing he didnt go over the side....

alden

There completely different beasts Alden. I have got the Venom into some trouble but have not had a full hook like I did in a XB2002. I was goin around 85mph and ran out of gas, it cut out completely, the front came down hard and the boat went dead strait drifting to a stop. I couldnt believe it. If it were my Ally Id a been up on shore. The Venoms large pad makes is so easy to drive. A Vking/Viking is a different story. For one, you need to fly the bow of a Viking to get some real numbers out of it, where thats just not the case with the Venom. The Venom runs faster relatively flat, where I see no top end speed advantage with overtrimming. That keeps the boat really stable. Outside of a tunnel, the Venom is bar none one of the easiest V's to drive fast. Took a few days of driving for me to run the XB2002 (Allison) up to 90mph. How long to run 90mph in the Venom? I had to wait till the motor reached temp. So about 10 minutes. My best friend who has never driven a pad boat before drove it 94mph the first time he drove it with me next to him. The only thing Ill say is the boat is a lot faster with the engine height up over 1" above the pad, but the boat starts to get bad tendencies past that so I keep the motor below that, again a conservative setup. The Viking is only 17'6" and a 40 year old design, so there are very few similarities outside of the name. Remember, the Venom was a Completely new design for 2004 that Pipkorn and Ron Baker took no part in designing, so you cant compare with the Vikings/Vectors. Another point is the Vikings were built for 150hp motors and designed to run in to the 70's. Guys not putting 2.5's on em running 90-100 are doing something they werent designed/tested for. The Venom recommends 280hp or less, so if I put a 450 hp motor on it, it would probably be a dangerous ride also. lol. I love the old Streams though, Id love to have a Comp Vector with a bad ass V4.

Larry Jr.

Moonlighter112, thanks for the comment. Allison does make a nice boat. In an 800ft Drag I have yet to see the back of one. lol. Andy is ODBA lake racer national champion with his Venom. Smokin Joe P. Dominated the Pro Gas Class with his Venom this year at Blarneys Island, up against close cockpit single seat race boats. The Hydrostream Venom has a design advantage that Allison is afraid of admitting cause they didnt think of it first. Not trying to stir the pot, just facts. Hey Tom, did Andy sell his boat? Its sweet to say the least.
Yes he did sell it to FL guy . I couldn't believe he sold it but he goes through boats like i drink beer !! He got a super light STV RR from Jack Barsh and runs a 280 or 300 Drag on it . The venoms are much easier to drive I have heard and they don't do anything stupid when you lose power . Andy lost the whole LOWER UNIT at 100 + and it went straight !

my buddies king had a 200 mariner on it,,,that was disguised with some 175 decals... the boat ran 86mph with no jack plate... around 60 mph it would start to chine,,, thats when you hammered down to get through it,,, there was only two ways to get out of it,,,, cut back or hammer down... the previous owner had been tossed several times from this old sucker,,so it made for some nerve racking first runs...very cool boat larry,,hydrosteams rock man....

ac

Yes he did sell it to FL guy . I couldn't believe he sold it but he goes through boats like i drink beer !! He got a super light STV RR from Jack Barsh and runs a 280 or 300 Drag on it . The venoms are much easier to drive I have heard and they don't do anything stupid when you lose power . Andy lost the whole LOWER UNIT at 100 + and it went straight !

Yeah, I remember it being for sale on S&F. Ahh, anything Andy touches will kick azz! Wow, the entire lower unit!? ****....loctite next time? lol. Hope to see you out running someday. Ill be at a few East Coast races this year......You go to any?

Jr.

No i'm not a racer just an enthusiast however at the South Georgia Showdown I did line up against a few guys in STV Euros . Only problem was one was 200 lbs lighter and the other had a 280 with 3 gals of gas and i had 28 gallons and a slightly modded 260 !! It was fun though but motor was too high for a decent launch with a 24 Yam copy .

ix4a9u.jpg

282jlfp.jpg

t4xsf4.jpg

Nice Tom, I wanted Helmut's STV Euro so bad when it was for sale. There great boats to say the least. Alden, 86mph is crazy fast in a VKing. Is that with two people? Great numbers with a 200 for sure. Anyone else on here race or got a kick azz boat? If so lets see um!

Jr.

Nice Tom, I wanted Helmut's STV Euro so bad when it was for sale. There great boats to say the least. Alden, 86mph is crazy fast in a VKing. Is that with two people? Great numbers with a 200 for sure. Anyone else on here race or got a kick azz boat? If so lets see um!

Jr.
Not exactly the same style of boat but this is my toy and am into speed as much as the rest of you. Also have a 10'3 tunnel that is quite a bit a fun. Will have to find pics of it.

Allen

little fountain.jpg

larry,,, it ran 86mph with just the driver,,, mind you he is about 150 pounds... im sure it barely noticed he was there... :lol: ....gps stated 87mph,,,radar showed 86mph.... the guy he got it from set up the boat very well... but dont get me wrong,,, the boat was scary..the chine walk would be violent at times and really scare the crap out of you... like you stated before,,,you really had to fly the hull,,,once it was actually flying,,, things settled and it was a great ride...it was just the moment of coming up to fly is when it went array...

alden

larry,,, it ran 86mph with just the driver,,, mind you he is about 150 pounds... im sure it barely noticed he was there... :lol: ....gps stated 87mph,,,radar showed 86mph.... the guy he got it from set up the boat very well... but dont get me wrong,,, the boat was scary..the chine walk would be violent at times and really scare the crap out of you... like you stated before,,,you really had to fly the hull,,,once it was actually flying,,, things settled and it was a great ride...it was just the moment of coming up to fly is when it went array...

alden

A friend ,John Insoft had a V King with a trick Diamond Marine 280 that ran 105 setup for top end I heard it was a major hand full !!

alden

A friend ,John Insoft had a V King with a trick Diamond Marine 280 that ran 105 setup for top end I heard it was a major hand full !!

tom,,, i honestly couldnt even imagine... i cant believe that hull didnt come apart... :unsure: ...

alden

Obrien, The Etec Im putting on it will not be the stock production 3.4L. Next Generation Racing's Etec motors are the most advanced direct injection motors on the planet. Where most engine manufactures are going to 4 strokes for efficiency, BRP(Evinrude) came up with the most advanced EMM (fuel management) for their two strokes (Etecs) which ae actually more fuel and oil efficient than any 4 stroke made. To do this, they de-tune the motors to near starvation, which is an amazing thing. So to make a long story short, a 3.4L Etec like the 250 H.O. puts out 250hp without breaking a sweat. All we do is give the motor what its begging for. A Merc 2.5 260hp needs 135psi and 280 needs 145psi to make there power at 8,000 or more RPM's, the stock Etec makes 250hp with 110psi and get that power at half the RPM's of a Merc with about twice the torque at 3,000 rpm. I cant tell you the numbers the Etec will make, but it will be far beyond any Merc 2.5L without drag heads (200+ psi). Top end, since a Merc can run up to 9-10,000 rpm, they will be comperable, but for an 800ft and 1/4 mile drag, getting power at a lower RPM may be the way to go. We at Next Generation Racing are going to show what our heavy fishing motors can do next year.... :)

Jr.

Latest posts

Back