Hurricane setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMarles

I have a Hurricane gas rigger which looks like a clone Roadrunner. I just did a few repairs to it and I set up up the front sponsons at left 3.4 degrees and right 3.9 degrees. It is running pretty good but pattering slightly on the front sponsons and running a little too loose. Are those sponson angles in the ball park or should I lower the strut to raise the rear of the boat a little? Before the repair the right sponson was 3 degrees and left 3.4 degrees which did not seem right to me although it actually heatraced pretty good.

Dave..would suggest you get up with Sergio Perez over on Jim's. The Hurricane is his build/design. Also any information for this hull would be on that board

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Hurricane gas rigger which looks like a clone Roadrunner. I just did a few repairs to it and I set up up the front sponsons at left 3.4 degrees and right 3.9 degrees. It is running pretty good but pattering slightly on the front sponsons and running a little too loose. Are those sponson angles in the ball park or should I lower the strut to raise the rear of the boat a little? Before the repair the right sponson was 3 degrees and left 3.4 degrees which did not seem right to me although it actually heatraced pretty good.
WOW, you asking questions about a race boat. What is the world comimg to. Just kidding, you are one of the brightest of all the racers that I know.

I would suggest that you try 3.0 and 3.2 with the right higher. Sounds like you have the boat too loose. The strut should be 1/8" shallower than the fronts and at ZERO angle. These are the magic numbers for a Roadrunner type boat.

i have been given the same hull i will try to get ready for next season, marty. yeah, i know me run a GASSER :eek: :blink: ????? where would you suggest the rear sponsons should be? "traditional" riggers are a mystery to me, the jae just made me build it straight, it did the rest :rolleyes: . when you say zero on the strut, is that in relation to the bottom of the tub, or to a set up board with the boat sitting on the adjusted sponsons &/or the strut (not sure if the rears are higher or lower than the strut....). the 1/8" up on the strut is with the boat resting on the front sponsons & a level tub, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, you asking questions about a race boat. What is the world comimg to. Just kidding, you are one of the brightest of all the racers that I know.

I would suggest that you try 3.0 and 3.2 with the right higher. Sounds like you have the boat too loose. The strut should be 1/8" shallower than the fronts and at ZERO angle. These are the magic numbers for a Roadrunner type boat.
Marty, thanks for the info. Thanks for the kind words, if I want hydro info then I will ask the experts! When you say strut 1/8" up, I take it that you mean 1/8" up from the bottom of the strut.

Marty, thanks for the info. Thanks for the kind words, if I want hydro info then I will ask the experts! When you say strut 1/8" up, I take it that you mean 1/8" up from the bottom of the strut.
Bottom of the strut 1/8" shallower than the front sponson depth. This setup is for a Roadrunner type boat with sponson widths similar too. We use 3 degrees of dihedral to make the boat handle the rough water well. Not sure what you have. Turn fin rear tip should be 5/8" in front of the dry cg.

Bottom of the strut 1/8" shallower than the front sponson depth. This setup is for a Roadrunner type boat with sponson widths similar too. We use 3 degrees of dihedral to make the boat handle the rough water well. Not sure what you have. Turn fin rear tip should be 5/8" in front of the dry cg.
Rear sponsons should be same as the strut, 1/8" shallower than the front sponson depth. Use the flat area on the bottom of the hull to determine the running plane of the boat. That should be paralell to the water. Rear sponsons should be 1/3 degrees at the rear.

Back