Hull finish

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

Painted the bottom of my wooden boat with a water reducible epoxy thinned down very thin. The wood soaked up the epoxy like a sponge leaving a sand paper like finish. I am thinking this should brake the surface tension of the water.

Should I leave this finish or sand it smooth and paint it again to get a smooth finish.

Depends upon what you mean by SandPaper like finish!

A slick, shiney finish is of course NOT what you want, but you also don't want a rough gritty feel.

A better description of the desired finish would be a smooth, silky finish that is not slick or reflective.

Paint the bottom to seal it up well, and provide enough coats to allow you to sand it smooth N silky with some 325 to 600 grit wet/dry paper. I typically put on 2 coats of primer, sand smooth, then 2 to 3 finish coats sanding out imperfections and smoothing between coats. Sometimes a wooden bottom just takes more paint than you would think it should.

Good luck.

You can also use white 3M rubbing compound on the bottom front to back to make it a satin finish without any sanding trough marks, works about the same but gives a more even sheen and a little safer on rub through. A good trick on water ski's too. You can feel the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back