HTB 290 CRACKS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winzracing

Hi Guys..Last year I got myself a HTB 290 thru James at O.E.R in GERMANY and had great dealings with JAMES thru out the whole purchase and set up...I have had the boat I would say for about 10 months or so and really only used it in our summer time here in MUD ISLAND..I have started to notice bad hairline and spider cracks on the front of the cowling by the nose and also at the front of the sponsons..(this boat has never been in any accident)NOW do i worry about these as I work in the marine industry here in the UK and if I had a NEW BOAT come in to the workshop with what I see I would be worried and contact the boat builder.I have sent three emails to Mark Hopper about this and I havent had a reply(HEY I MIGHT HAVE THE WRONG EMAIL) please if any guys have the email addres please send it on..I have sent an email to the address on the HTB website...James hope you remember the boat bud ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD DO..Barry UK :D

Barry, Marks email is [email protected] Of course I remember the boat. Its not uncommon to see hairline cracks in the cowl, it happens. Its usually the gelcoat cracking not necessarily the glass itself. HTB's are built tough, as tough as any boat out there to be honest. Personally, I wouldnt worry myself over it. I have three of them and they all have hairline cracks in the gelcoat. All it takes is one good stuff/flip at speed (which we have all done) and they will be there. The cowling also gets cracks in it (the rear/middle) due to picking the boat up/launching it by holding the cowling with your fingers and thumb instead of using two hands and holding it by the sides. Gelcoat (as you probably know) is quite brittle, so when the glass flex's, you get cracks.

I am not speaking for Mark or HTB on this, its just my personal opinion.

~James

Barry,

I have not recieved your emails, can't tell you why? Maybe the spam filter?

On to the problem. First of all thanks for purchasing a HTB Boat. Other than this problem I hope it is doing you a good job. As James had said this is something that does happen. I get the same thing in mine after time. Gel Kote is britle and will not take much stress. Just running across rough water at the speeds these things run after time is a lot of vibration. Or think about turning at 50 MPH plus, that is trying to rip the inside sponson right off the boat. Now I'm not saying that is what caused your cracking, I'm sure no expert! I can build one that may not crack but then it would be so heavy with fiberglass and resin that it would not perform. I try not to build them too lite but it is a ballancing act. You ever see a Formula One Tunnel get involved in a accident, its a $25,000 explosion. Again, if they were built not ever tear up they would also never make it to the winners circle.

Now I can regel the troubled areas of your boat is you wish. That is really not much trouble but in time you will probally see them again someday.

Thanks Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem with my canopy of my HTB290 purchase last 2007 from James (OER), the problem was happened with the normal launching and recovery procedure of the boat, but the great performance of this boat make the difference. I´m very satisfaced with it. ASAP i´ll buy a his big brother HTB360II. Once inquiry for Mark, the canopy can be purchase separatly? and How is the price?, thanks.

thanks guys...hey Mark not sure why buddy you havent recieved any of my emails. i guess they probably got filtered into your junk or spam box..ok will just go with the advice for the moment and see how i get on with the boat..Its great i love it and runs beautifully all the time...I may need to get another cowling soon for it as i looked today and have now noticed a serious crack starting just under the nose..How much are these cowlings Mark??/ cheers mate

Latest posts

Back